PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

Didn't Waddle break his ankle? How do you take a high in the 1st round with a broken ankle? Pulled quad OK, but doesn't a broken ankle need to be healed first and confirmed before deserving a Top 10 pick?

Waddle is a massive risk. Would skip entirely. Look at his tape. He's ultra fast yes. But the season before he broke his ankle he caught only 1 to 3 balls a game. He's never been WR1 on his own team. He beats college DBs by taking slants to the house or deep post routes. He's not a move the chains 12 catches a game guy. He doesn't fit the Patriots. He's going to be another fast guy here who plays special teams and is only a 300 yard receiver. The Pats suck at drafting whoever McDaniels thinks is good. Pass on offense entirely with the first round pick.

You obviously did not watch the game, that performance made the issue more relevant. He could not run.
I agree it was a mistake for him to play but it showed me that he is probably on a way to be healthy for Pro Days or at least the Draft i guess.

I agree it was a mistake for him to play but it showed me that he is probably on a way to be healthy for Pro Days or at least the Draft i guess.
If he can do that and runs fast, 4.3, he will be a high pick. Mahomes to Hill will be mimicked. Also those deep crossing routes clear out everything else in a single high safety look, does the safety help or not. Easier catch and run than the sideline Go route, but requires getting off the line and a LOT of speed..

Waddle is a massive risk. Would skip entirely. Look at his tape. He's ultra fast yes. But the season before he broke his ankle he caught only 1 to 3 balls a game. He's never been WR1 on his own team. He beats college DBs by taking slants to the house or deep post routes. He's not a move the chains 12 catches a game guy. He doesn't fit the Patriots. He's going to be another fast guy here who plays special teams and is only a 300 yard receiver. The Pats suck at drafting whoever McDaniels thinks is good. Pass on offense entirely with the first round pick.

I agree on the part that he is probably not a chain mover type of wr but i think his variety of routes can increase and be more than just deep threats or screens, swing passes. Our offense need such a playmaker like Waddle. If you want to be succesfull as an offnse you need as much possible options as you can get. We need a dangerous wide out who can get separation and stretch the field. Give us the big play ability but also chances for our slot WR TE or run game. I don't really care if he gets 1000 yards +. We have no such threat. Even for YAC our WR are not really making that.

You obviously did not watch the game, that performance made the issue more relevant. He could not run.
Don't need to have watched the game to know that it's been another 2 weeks since then and that it will be even more time 4-8 weeks before he runs for a Pro-Day. If you don't think they'll be doing a med eval, you're kidding yourself. Waddle is going round 1. Guaranteed.

If he can do that and runs fast, 4.3, he will be a high pick. Mahomes to Hill will be mimicked. Also those deep crossing routes clear out everything else in a single high safety look, does the safety help or not. Easier catch and run than the sideline Go route, but requires getting off the line and a LOT of speed..
yeah i agree..with no safety help it's over

Randy Moss says hi..

You're assuming that McDaniels still has say in terms of drafting personnel.. But then, you've never been one for facts.

Been watching him for a few years with Nelson & co. Probably/might end up on the list -sigh- I forgot sometimes but yeah hes our type in more than a few ways.
The next "Ty Warren"?

Been watching him for a few years with Nelson & co. Probably/might end up on the list -sigh- I forgot sometimes but yeah hes our type in more than a few ways.

Most guys don't naturally stack and shed? Doesn't look like Winovich, completely different player. I like guys like Golston, that read and react, not just react. Any more like him? How high will Golston go?

Last edited:
Didn't Waddle break his ankle? How do you take him high in the 1st round with a broken ankle? Pulled quad OK, but doesn't a broken ankle need to be healed first and confirmed before deserving a Top 10 pick?
So I'd only take him at 15 and would run to the podium. If I'm drafting in the top 10, me personally. Not trading up for anyone but a QB or "freak of nature" if its a lottery pick. And his medicals/ankle will be a all anyone talks about concerning him. By then teams will have a clear picture of where he's at, how he's doing.
This may be better. Guys will be drafted more based on football game tape. Not having a certain 40 speed or bench press.

Maybe. I know pro day and work out numbers have been crazy the past few years. Especially the closer it is to the draft and its tougher to verify.

Randy Moss says hi..

You're assuming that McDaniels still has say in terms of drafting personnel.. But then, you've never been one for facts.

He's nothing like Randy Moss. I like how people try to diss Devonta's size when Devonta is 6'1 and Waddle is 5'10. Problem is Waddle isn't the next Tyreek Hill. Look at his season two seasons ago. Waddle catches 1 ball a game sometimes 3 a game. This guy I will agree would pass all the idiot Patriot draft filters. He plays special teams. He'll be another Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson. I would rather trade a first round pick than try to draft offense with this pathetic offensive-evaluating staff. Draft defense with the first pick but not a CB. Draft DE, DT, LB, or safety. A 1st rounder on offense will be the nail in the coffin for this franchise which will lead to McDaniels and his 5-17 Broncos or 2-14 Rams atmosphere.

Most guys don't naturally stack and shed? Doesn't look like Winovich, completely different player. I like guys like Gholston, that read and react, not just react. Any more like him? How high will Gholston go?
Yea understanding what's in front of you (what type of block, steps or angles OL is taking, personnel etc) is key. Nelson had it to. Its something i always look for. Have to know what's coming at you in order to defeat it.

Ronnie Perkins, Cam Sample, Malik Herring, Joshua Kaindoh, Roche, Myjai Sanders, Weaver, Pat Johnson, Dimukeje

So I'd only take him at 15 and would run to the podium. If I'm drafting in the top 10, me personally. Not trading up for anyone but a QB or "freak of nature" if its a lottery pick. And his medicals/ankle will be a all anyone talks about concerning him. By then teams will have a clear picture of where he's at, how he's doing.

Maybe. I know pro day and work out numbers have been crazy the past few years. Especially the closer it is to the draft and its tougher to verify.

When do you think WR Chase gets taken? I would absolutely not consider Waddle until probably after 6 other receivers off the board. This guy has never actually produced. The excuse is he's never been a #1 guy but Devonta outproduced Jeudy 2 seasons ago while Waddle couldn't beat out anyone.

Waddle is a massive risk.
He really isn't anywhere near the risk you make him out to be. No more than Smith or Chase.
Would skip entirely. Look at his tape. He's ultra fast yes. But the season before he broke his ankle he caught only 1 to 3 balls a game. He's never been WR1 on his own team.
Bama had the greatest group of WRs of all-time. Not to mention a killer rushing attack. Context.
He beats college DBs by taking slants to the house or deep post routes. He's not a move the chains 12 catches a game guy.
I've heard you say this a few times and its simply not true. He's runs a lot more than two routes. Please leave that nonsense out this thread with respect. Opinions are great but I don't want misinformation in the thread. Saying any WR only runs two routes is just admitting you haven't watched him.

Also you can't be serious about "move the chains" and "12 catches a game" , right? You need different types. Versatile guy's are great but there's more than a enough room for Waddle in the league. You want chain movers sure but also guys like him.

Patrice Bergeron is phenomenal but there's nothing wrong with guys that are only great at a few things. Besides instead of 12 catches Waddle can get 12 touches or catches. Again he can run a lot more than two routes.
He doesn't fit the Patriots.
I heard this about so many players. Guy's we drafted and traded for like Moss. Bill isn't nailed down to anything. We have our types but things are always changing.
He's going to be another fast guy here who plays special teams and is only a 300 yard receiver. The Pats suck at drafting whoever McDaniels thinks is good. Pass on offense entirely with the first round pick.

You can't just draft defense for the sake of it. I've heard people say "draft a DT or defense" in the first. The value had to be there. If it is great but this year's defensive class is a lot deeper than top heavy.

When do you think WR Chase gets taken?
I think he'll go higher than he should. Sounds like top ten for all which is too rich for me. Pitts will be the first pass catcher off the board though.
I would absolutely not consider Waddle until probably after 6 other receivers off the board. This guy has never actually produced. The excuse is he's never been a #1 guy but Devonta outproduced Jeudy 2 seasons ago while Waddle couldn't beat out anyone.
Not telling anyone how to post. Feel free to post here but please keep the Waddle and Josh hate/spam out of it. You've been more than clear how you feel on both honestly.

The next "Ty Warren"?
Not seeing that type of impact but I certainly wouldn't cross out a full time conversion inside, 3/5T. He's s tough, tough player but needs to be more consistent from down to down. Hands improved slightly but really need work. Motor is hot/cold. Should probably add him to the list but I'll wait for now.

He really isn't anywhere near the risk you make him out to be. No more than Smith or Chase.

Bama had the greatest group of WRs of all-time. Not to mention a killer rushing attack. Context.

I've heard you say this a few times and its simply not true. He's runs a lot more than two routes. Please leave that nonsense out this thread with respect. Opinions are great but I don't want misinformation in the thread. Saying any WR only runs two routes is just admitting you haven't watched him.

Also you can't be serious about "move the chains" and "12 catches a game" , right? You need different types. Versatile guy's are great but there's more than a enough room for Waddle in the league. You want chain movers sure but also guys like him.

Patrice Bergeron is phenomenal but there's nothing wrong with guys that are only great at a few things. Besides instead of 12 catches Waddle can get 12 touches or catches. Again he can run a lot more than two routes.

I heard this about so many players. Guy's we drafted and traded for like Moss. Bill isn't nailed down to anything. We have our types but things are always changing.

You can't just draft defense for the sake of it. I've heard people say "draft a DT or defense" in the first. The value had to be there. If it is great but this year's defensive class is a lot deeper than top heavy.
I read this in almost every future or draft related thread. When you look at the draft class i can't identify any DT who shuld go at 15. The first can be off the board at 25 or later just i would guess. I can see the Buccaners go for Barmore if they don't try a qb. There are also not many DE i can see going that early.

Yea understanding what's in front of you (what type of block, steps or angles OL is taking, personnel etc) is key. Nelson had it to. Its something i always look for. Have to know what's coming at you in order to defeat it.

Ronnie Perkins, Cam Sample, Malik Herring, Joshua Kaindoh, Roche, Myjai Sanders, Weaver, Pat Johnson, Dimukeje

Thanks - I think that is BB will do with the draft. I will look these guys up. Maybe Paye will drop to 15. :)

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back