PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT RUSH THREAD

Seems to be a ton of good pass rushers in this draft. Problem is only a few play the run worth a darn and even fewer can drop into coverage.

That is why I like “the duke” from wake forest. He plays all over and appears to have high courage.

Def agreed on Duke.

Davenport is top 3 in pass rushing & playing the run by PFF I believe.

boston-college-defensive-end-harold-landry-at-full-stretch-during-an-picture-id845055390.jpg HAROLD LANDRY - BOSTON COLLEGE - 6'2/250 - RUSH - 4SR

BACKGROUND
  • Born June 5, 1996, in N.C. Son of Harold and Doreen. Went to Pine Forest H.S.
  • Earned Semper Fi All-America honors as a senior in 2013 & actually worked out at Fort Bragg.
  • Communications major with similar aspirations after football.
  • Has 1 son with his fiance

Strengths
  • Solid, thick build throughout his body. Proportioned H/W.
  • Speed rusher w/ quick twitch burst & flexibility.
  • Consistently shows ability to get low, flat & dip under his opponents outside shoulder.
  • +Range as a run defender. +Chase & pursuit
  • At times shows good fundamentals in run defense. Leverage, strong hands to disengage, keeps outside shoulder clean.

Weaknesses
  • Lack of variety in terms of pass rush. Not much of a power rusher and absolutely has to add a counter to his speed rush.
  • He can't sink his hips reestablish position once engaged but he's not a liability as a weakside defender.

Last edited:
HAROLD LANDRY TRAITS THAT TRANSLATE

Last edited:
Josh Sweat - Patriot-Type Player - DE/OLB - 6'5/255 - FSU

BACKGROUND
  • From Virginia. Born 3-29-97.
  • Was a top 10 prospect coming from high school & #1 overall at one point.
  • Suffered torn A.C.L. & dislocated knee SR year in high school. Had lingering finger injury freshman year. Meniscus tear Soph.
  • Majoring in Social Science
STRENGTHS
  • Prototype body at 6’5/250 w/ room to add some muscle & long arms.
  • Pass Rush - Power, Speed & Finesse At times shows good burst off l.o.s. At times will out muscle OT’s, gets inside, press & extend arms. Will look to punch first w/ sudden, powerful inside punches. Will use long arms, stabs, chops, swats & arm overs to get to the QB. Will also use combos of each, stab/chop, hesitation/chop etc. Can get skinny to knife inside. Can get flat, flip hips & has some dip to work outside.
  • Run Defense, Good strength, can set the edge. Able to disengage from blocks, reset l.o.s. & will chase down carriers. Keeps outside shoulder clean. At times rolls hips, generates power & sets clean edge.
  • Versatility, played standing up at OLB, 5 & 7 techniques on both side. Can rush inside/outside. Kick inside on sub packages.
  • Athletic Ability - Has enough c.o.d. to play in space & plays misdirection/r.p.o. well. Should run sub 4.60. At times explosive. Long strider that eats up space. Quick to react. Ability to chase down carriers in short areas & wrap up w/ long arms. Good lateral movements.
  • Doesn't sell out for stats & stays disciplined. On the edge or if his in a gap.
  • Has good understanding of opponents tendencies & does a good job of countering blocks (reach, chop, pull etc) Good Football I.Q.
  • Tough, physical tackler that will hit w/ all 250.

Concerns
  • Injuries & lean lower have will drop him some. ACL & dislocated knee SR year in high school. Has to add some bulk to his lower half.
  • Inconsistent burst of l.o.s.
  • Has to have a more consistent, prepared pass rush plan. From start to counter. Gets away from quick hand strikes inside too easy.
  • Looks stiff when attacking out wide & running the arc. Can get pushed upfield.
  • Stuck in the mud at times on 2nd effort after initially stopped.

Summary
Sweat is a very interesting prospect. He has a few special traits & a NFL body to transform. He was dubbed the #1 recruit coming out of High School at one point.Suffering a torn A.C.L. & dislocated knee his SR year in high school he battled back at a very fragile time in a young athletes development. Sweat is just now resembling someone playing w/ confidence & ability due to his setbacks early on. If he stays healthy & commits to an NFL-type training program he has real potential as a pass rusher.

Last edited:
Josh Sweat - Traits That Translate

A look at some of the top Rush prospects

Davenport should be on everyones radar. Hes a classic Patriot pick if there ever was one.

I'm much, much higher on Davenport than I am on Sweat. Sweat has chicken legs and seems to take plays off. Davenport has more of a motor. Honestly, the more I watch him, the more Sam Hubbard screams Patriot. He's not as athletically gifted. He won't blow you away with a lightning quick first step. But he does everything right, he's very rarely out of position, and he's a hard worker with a big time motor. He needs to improve on some of his inside moves when rushing the passer, but that would come with working with our coaching staff.

EDIT: Oh, and he played Lacrosse. I mean come on.

Thank you Mr. Bacon, this is great.

I'm much, much higher on Davenport than I am on Sweat. Sweat has chicken legs and seems to take plays off. Davenport has more of a motor. Honestly, the more I watch him, the more Sam Hubbard screams Patriot. He's not as athletically gifted. He won't blow you away with a lightning quick first step. But he does everything right, he's very rarely out of position, and he's a hard worker with a big time motor. He needs to improve on some of his inside moves when rushing the passer, but that would come with working with our coaching staff.

While he still needs to develop further, I like Hubbard a lot. Pretty nimble, actually.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Good awareness to pick up the TE in coverage:

If left unblocked, he's more than fast enough off the snap:

Davenport is one of my favs in the whole draft. I love him. So gifted.

Agreed on Hubbard too. He's on my list for sure. Knows his strengths & plays to em. Reliable. Screams pats.

View attachment 19245 HAROLD LANDRY - BOSTON COLLEGE - 6'2/250 - RUSH - 4SR

BACKGROUND
  • Born June 5, 1996, in N.C. Son of Harold and Doreen. Went to Pine Forest H.S.
  • Earned Semper Fi All-America honors as a senior in 2013 & actually worked out at Fort Bragg.
  • Communications major with similar aspirations after football.
  • Has 1 son with his fiance

Strengths
  • Solid, thick build throughout his body. Proportioned H/W.
  • Speed rusher w/ quick twitch burst & flexibility.
  • Consistently shows ability to get low, flat & dip under his opponents outside shoulder.
  • +Range as a run defender. +Chase & pursuit
  • At times shows good fundamentals in run defense. Leverage, strong hands to disengage, keeps outside shoulder clean.

Weaknesses
  • Lack of variety in terms of pass rush. Not much of a power rusher and absolutely has to add a counter to his speed rush.
  • He can't sink his hips reestablish position once engaged but he's not a liability as a weakside defender.

Patriots Brendan Daly spent 2 hours in film review with Landry today..
Patriots Scout Projected First-Round Pass Rusher At Boston College Pro Day

Let's draft 3 pass rushers
Screw it
Imagine hitting on all 3

I would not be surprised at all if we doubled dip on Rush players. After Flowers, who's a F.A. next year we're extremely thin.

Rn I have Rush, CB, TE as my TOP 3 needs.

I saw this eariler & it made me smile. I'd be very happy w/ Landry. Everything I've read on him seems to fit w/ what we like from a character standpoint. Disciplined, smart guy.
Would you trade up for him?

Would you trade up for him?

Depends on how far. Into the 25 - 30 range? Tempting, but probably not. Any higher, and no thanks. He's not a starter, I don't think. He would rotate in as a designated rush guy, and maybe see some LB snaps, but I don't know if he would be on the field often and early enough to justify a trade up. But I'm not quite as high on him as Bacon, so he might disagree.

Im sure Daly learned alot about him in that film session.

I would not be surprised at all if we doubled dip on Rush players. After Flowers, who's a F.A. next year we're extremely thin.

Rn I have Rush, CB, TE as my TOP 3 needs.

I would be very surprised to see us double up since they just signed Clayborn and already have Wise on the team. I also expect Rivers to be taking snaps there.

I'm surprised you don't have another OT as a need considering they don't have a LT (though they have two candidates in Garcia and Jelks) and Cannon is also a UFA next year.

Also surprised that you don't have LB as a Top 3 need since they don't have anyone who can truly cover and could develop to take HT's place.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back