PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT RUSH THREAD

I would be very surprised to see us double up since they just signed Clayborn and already have Wise on the team. I also expect Rivers to be taking snaps there.

I'm surprised you don't have another OT as a need considering they don't have a LT (though they have two candidates in Garcia and Jelks) and Cannon is also a UFA next year.

Also surprised that you don't have LB as a Top 3 need since they don't have anyone who can truly cover and could develop to take HT's place.

Cannon is under contract through/including the 2021 season. Cap number jumps to $7.5M next season though.
Marcus Cannon Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Would you trade up for him?
Depending how the board fell? Sorry but I have to say that in case a Davenport is hanging around & there's a good chance we end up w/ 1 at 31.

I do think he's worth that trade up, 25-30 range, if he's your guy.

I think strict(er) 34 teams (Rams, Steelers etc) & team that run Under up front (Seahawks, Atl etc) will like him the most.

I would be very surprised to see us double up since they just signed Clayborn and already have Wise on the team. I also expect Rivers to be taking snaps there.

I'm surprised you don't have another OT as a need considering they don't have a LT (though they have two candidates in Garcia and Jelks) and Cannon is also a UFA next year.

Also surprised that you don't have LB as a Top 3 need since they don't have anyone who can truly cover and could develop to take HT's place.

Needs are separated by paper thin margins in some cases.

I consider Rush Inside/Outside more important & after Flowers we have some decent depth but still lacking that guy that can win on his own & really make an impact pressuring the QB.
Also Flowers is a F.A. next year w/ many others.

I had Garcia as my #1 OT last year. If hes healthy, I'm comfortable there but still adding depending on who's available. I do like a few guys that fit the Pats profile a bit more but again I'm good w/ Tony if he's right.

As for LB we def need better play & I'm all for after day 1.

Last edited:
No need; he - or somebody better - will probably still be available at 31.

I'm not sure there's anyone else besides Chubb, Landry, Davenport in the 1st at that position.
I've loved Ejiofor for years so I wouldn't be mad if we grabbed him Would prefer to use the SF, our 2nd or a small trade up around 33-35 to ensure we get him.

Who did you have in mind?

I'm not sure there's anyone else besides Chubb, Landry, Davenport in the 1st at that position.
I've loved Ejiofor for years so I wouldn't be mad if we grabbed him Would prefer to use the SF, our 2nd or a small trade up around 33-35 to ensure we get him.

Who did you have in mind?
Sam Hubbard. P-TP.

Even after his pro day today? ;)
Why not?

Edit: Just finished reading page 3 of the Pro Day thread, and while Hubbard's 40 time is naturally disappointing, his excellent agility/explosion tests at the combine still suggest to me that he can defeat blocks & disrupt the pocket. I wish he had performed the strength test, however.

Last edited:

I don't know. He's got the size and athletic profile for the kind of tweener the Patriots tend to like (and usually get good value on because other defensive schemes tend to devalue those players) but all his other traits scream that he's not a Patriots player. He puts his head down, plays with poor pad level, and doesn't stop the run all that well.

I don't know. He's got the size and athletic profile for the kind of tweener the Patriots tend to like (and usually get good value on because other defensive schemes tend to devalue those players) but all his other traits scream that he's not a Patriots player. He puts his head down, plays with poor pad level, and doesn't stop the run all that well.

Spot on. The thing I disliked, too, is that once he makes contact, he's inconsistent in fighting for leverage. He either is stronger than the other player, or he gets blocked. Sometimes he'll keep his hands and feet moving, and he looks pretty decent when he does, but too often he stalemates. If the Patriots think that they can unlock his potential, great! The problem is that he's projected to go in the first two rounds, and what I see on tape looks more like a mid round upside pick.

Spot on. The thing I disliked, too, is that once he makes contact, he's inconsistent in fighting for leverage. He either is stronger than the other player, or he gets blocked. Sometimes he'll keep his hands and feet moving, and he looks pretty decent when he does, but too often he stalemates. If the Patriots think that they can unlock his potential, great! The problem is that he's projected to go in the first two rounds, and what I see on tape looks more like a mid round upside pick.

He looks like a kid who did a disservice to himself by leaving school early. Sometimes those kind of guys work out, like Carlos Dunlap, but more often they fall down draft boards and don't do much in the pros like Kony Ealy or Damontre Moore.

I'm projecting full/80% edge guy. Cinci, Carolina, Seattle & Cardinals love these guys. USC did him no favors keeping him inside. That def didn't help his production & overall play. He got steamrolled at times trying shoot & fill gaps.

Biggest thing for me is how stagnant he gets at times but again I attribute a lot of that to playing inside.

In terms of where they are & development he's not that far off if at all from Davenport, Armstrong etc. All have no idea what their doing rn.

You take him early bc he could easily go back & play himself out of range. He's very young, has size/length & a really good burst for 275-280.

Any & all Rush Data, info is appreciated here!

So I ran some numbers last night based on this study. While it's not a perfect predictor, it does seem to be useful. I've slightly adjusted some of the parameters to include some players that are on the fringes but have traits that mitigate production / athleticism (exceptional physical profile, advanced technique, extenuating circumstances, etc).

Prime example: Tyquan Lewis was part of a heavy rotation at Ohio State with the Bosa brothers, Hubbard, Holmes, etc. All things considered, his production is quite good, since he wasn't a full time player in that program.

He ran in the 4.6s, broad-jumped 10-7, had a 7.1 3-cone, and had 37 tackles for a loss in his career. Again, he missed out on the 1.36 per game TFL mark, but based on playing fewer snaps, I think it evens out. I'm putting him borderline in the blue chip category.

Hercules Mata'afa easily exceeded the TFL mark, and he also eclipsed the 40 cutoff, but the site didn't mention him (probably because he's not listed with the edge defenders).

Duke Ejiofor had great production, and also more than met the TFL requirement, but a labrum surgery prevented him from performing at the Combine or pro day. Based on tape, I don't think he's a 4.6 guy, but I definitely think he would be able to meet the 4.82 listed in the article. He might not be any faster than that, but with his long arms and advanced hand skills, I don't think it matters.

Based purely on athleticism, Sweat and Carter have a chance to make their mark. Sweat is further along as a traditional DE, but Carter has more experience in coverage, and he looks good in space. Untapped potential for him to grow into his frame.

Joe Ostman also meets the TFL and speed requirements. The Patriots have worked him out already. He could be good value in the later rounds, although he doesn't have the size the Patriots have traditionally prioritized in the draft.

Genard Avery also fits both requirements, but he's more of an inside linebacker who took some pass rushing snaps. 22 tackles for a loss is impressive, though. I know @manxman2601 likes him.

Zach Sieler from Ferris State ran a 4.78 at 6'5 #290. 31 reps, 32" vertical. In case no one is familiar with his production, last year he set a school record: 29.5 tackles for loss, 19.5 sacks. Low level of competition or not, that's impressive!

Just missing the cut: Dorance Armstrong. His junior year he had 20 TFL, but that tailed off his senior year to only 9.5. He also ran much slower than expected at the Combine (4.87). Most people thought that he would be a 4.6 guy easily. I wonder if he had a nagging injury? He didn't run any faster at his pro day, either, but did manage to jump higher and improve his BP reps. I don't like his tape as much as some do, though.

Marcell Frazier is the last guy I wanted to mention. He's a shade under the magic 1.36 TFL per game number (in the 1.2s), but that's because he dealt with an injury for the first half of the season. After returning to health, he had 5.5 sacks in their last 7 games. He also ran in the 4.6 range at his pro day, after shedding 6% body fat and working hard to improve his testing numbers. He worked out along with Bradley Chubb, and pushed himself to match or exceed Chubb. I like the Missouri pedigree at DE. He's a guy to watch in the later rounds.

'Scouts were shocked:' Mizzou's Marcell Frazier has strong pro day

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News