PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT RUSH THREAD

To add to that guy's statistical approach, he lists certain testing metrics as thresholds that all multiple (3+ I think) all pro or pro bowl players hit. It doesn't mean that a player needs to hit that testing threshold in order to be good, but for a "generational" talent, they will hit the mark. For edge rusher, it's all-pro pass rusher at 7.11 3-cone and 4.34 SS.

Guess who hits those marks? Oh yeah, my guy Tyquan Lewis. 7.11 3-cone, 4.32 SS, 10-7 BJ, and ran in the 4.6s at 270 pounds. Super underrated.

To add to that guy's statistical approach, he lists certain testing metrics as thresholds that all multiple (3+ I think) all pro or pro bowl players hit. It doesn't mean that a player needs to hit that testing threshold in order to be good, but for a "generational" talent, they will hit the mark. For edge rusher, it's all-pro pass rusher at 7.11 3-cone and 4.34 SS.

Guess who hits those marks? Oh yeah, my guy Tyquan Lewis. 7.11 3-cone, 4.32 SS, 10-7 BJ, and ran in the 4.6s at 270 pounds. Super underrated.

Lewis, Holmes & Hubbard are all super intriguing post day 1 for.

Hubbards #'s are very similar to Bosa's, even a lil better in one are I believe.

Count me in as a Hercules fan! I know he’s undersized but he can be a situational rusher from any angle. Amazing burst off the line. Motha f’er!

Count me in as a Hercules fan! I know he’s undersized but he can be a situational rusher from any angle. Amazing burst off the line. Motha f’er!

Love him.

Got in touch with the guy from Math Bomb, and he helped me set up the RAS database on my computer. This is super fun to play around with -- my work productivity is shot!

Numbers weren't complete for Lewis, so I updated based on information I've found via Twitter and draftscout.com, and produced a custom RAS score card:

upload_2018-4-5_12-9-11.png

Per PFF (not my favorite for grades, but raw data seems semi-reliable), Lewis notched 6 sacks, 8 hits, and 18 hurries on only 247 snaps aligned inside. That's 6th in the nation for interior pass rush productivity. As I said, I like him as a guy who can be versatile and move around in a front. I don't know that he's ever going to be a tier-1 pass rusher off the edge, but he has a lot of good qualities. Could be great in a rotation with Clayborn, Flowers, Rivers, etc.

BTW, useful information about Sweat. This was one of my biggest complaints about him. If Justis is right (and he's got a great track record), then Sweat moves up my priority list.

That disrespect!

For all his off field issues, Smith was an incredible player. He was also coming off a broken leg, but still put up comparable or better numbers at a heavier weight. Regardless, his ability to defeat blockers was in a different Galaxy compared with Armstrong. I was sold on Smith as a HoF talent before the draft, and he was on his way until he self-destructed. Armstrong is barely draftable for me. I'm all worked up now. Haha.

I threw this together this afternoon. I came across a debate about whether or not Chubb was an elite talent. People were knocking him for his athleticism (I don't get that at all), so I put together a list of the Relative Athletic Scores and the college stats of the top edge rushers for the past half a decade or so. I've probably left out some guys, but I picked players who either went top 5, or who were in the top 5 of sacks this year. I also tried to roughly match Chubb in size and testing numbers. Don't shoot me if I've forgotten players. :p

Some players have the edge in one category or another, but Chubb matches up very well with all of these guys. Factor in his advanced technique and by all accounts good character, and I think it's a bit insulting to suggest that he's not a foundational defensive player at his position. He has the size, stats, and testing numbers to go toe to toe with pretty much anyone over the last five years.

I also forgot to label the stats, but it shouldn't be too difficult to match the players with their relative schools. Chubb put up an insane number of TFL. He's going to be very good.

I think Chubb is a guy that def isn't a finished product but you know exactly what ur getting. I mean hes powerful, refined, smart & such a likeable teammate & player. And again he has upside.
I couldn't imagine Cleveland not targeting him & pairing him w/ Garrett & Ogbah.

I mean this w/ all seriousness. I know Cleveland has been a **** hole & everything they do sux but they should be on their way to a 2020 playoff team & possible monster of a team.

They have so many great picks to fill out their team it's nuts. I team that is a lot more talented than most think.

Some guys were very young & still learning. Injuries, different positions etc. Some context never hurts.

BTW, useful information about Sweat. This was one of my biggest complaints about him. If Justis is right (and he's got a great track record), then Sweat moves up my priority list.

I rewatched Mosqueda’s analysis of Derek Rivers with Matt Waldman the other day and it made me wonder why we’re looking at pass rushers. I’m excited by Rivers’ potential. Mosqueda thinks he’s a 10 sack per year man potentially.

Last edited:
Just been watching Bradley Chubb. Not saying he’s in the same class but I wonder if BB sees his Lawrence Taylor in him. Does everything on the field, equally as impressive against the run and pass (although I did see some missed tackles). I remember Madden once saying in game about Taylor* that the only way to play against him was to run at him because at least then you are trying to block him. Chubb reminded me of that quote - his effort is tremendous. Chubb is a real tone setter for a defense.

I can just see on draft night, it’s announced that the Pats have traded up to four and all the pundits assume it’s for Rosen and the pick turns out to be Chubb. I can see why BB is such a fan.**

* Yes I’m that old.

** Not really predicting a trade up that far but I wouldn’t be altogether surprised.

Just been watching Bradley Chubb. Not saying he’s in the same class but I wonder if BB sees his Lawrence Taylor in him. Does everything on the field, equally as impressive against the run and pass (although I did see some missed tackles). I remember Madden once saying in game about Taylor* that the only way to play against him was to run at him because at least then you are trying to block him. Chubb reminded me of that quote - his effort is tremendous. Chubb is a real tone setter for a defense.

I can just see on draft night, it’s announced that the Pats have traded up to four and all the pundits assume it’s for Rosen and the pick turns out to be Chubb. I can see why BB is such a fan.**

* Yes I’m that old.

** Not really predicting a trade up that far but I wouldn’t be altogether surprised.

I think he's well worth a top 5 pick. It's surprising to me that people are down on him. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "He's not a Garrett or Clowney" as though he's only the top EDGE because there's no one more deserving this year.

I think he's well worth a top 5 pick. It's surprising to me that people are down on him. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "He's not a Garrett or Clowney" as though he's only the top EDGE because there's no one more deserving this year.

Von Miller called him a cross between himself and Kahlil Mack. I’d take 2/3 of that.

I rewatched Mosqueda’s analysis of Derek Rivers with Matt Waldman the other day and it made me wonder why we’re looking at pass rushers. I’m excited by Rivers’ potential. Mosqueda thinks he’s a 10 sack per year man potentially.

Dude I wish there was someone here that clued us in on Rivers ;)

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back