PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT OL THREAD

I think they are. And for the record, I actually hated Solder's film at Colorado. He was so easily beaten on inside moves. Aldon Smith had something like 4 sacks against him. Dante worked wonders with him, and I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

We already have Waddle. He's started games for us. I don't know why people think a rookie is automatically going to jump him, even if we get McGlinchy or Williams.
Totally agree. Waddle if healthy had some sparks and his familliar with the system. Even if you are so talented and play your first season you are still a rookie. Extremely difficult Pats' playbook could be a real obstacle for any rookies on different position. Although Waddle is in my opinion our one year option,he is still more reliable than most rookies.

Totally agree. Waddle if healthy had some sparks and his familliar with the system. Even if you are so talented and play your first season you are still a rookie. Extremely difficult Pats' playbook could be a real obstacle for any rookies on different position. Although Waddle is in my opinion our one year option,he is still more reliable than most rookies.

How any Pats rookies at any position have had a good first season? Chandler Jones had a good start but petered out and Hightower did OK but would McCourty be the last rookie to have a good year? I’m sure I’m missing someone. I never expect a rookie to be a game changer in his rookie season for the Pats.

How any Pats rookies at any position have had a good first season? Chandler Jones had a good start but petered out and Hightower did OK but would McCourty be the last rookie to have a good year? I’m sure I’m missing someone. I never expect a rookie to be a game changer in his rookie season for the Pats.
Depends what is a good season . McCourty definitely comes to mind. I assume we are not talking about Kamara's or Lattimore caliber season because I should call it "great".

This is why head would explode if we traded up for Miller in the 1st or 2nd. Hes a project. Not being negative, just the truth. Hes a 2-3 guy away from being a starter. This all depends on Garcia and they know better than us. Also there are plenty of other OT we can work with but not over draft.

This is why head would explode if we traded up for Miller in the 1st or 2nd. Hes a project. Not being negative, just the truth. Hes a 2-3 guy away from being a starter. This all depends on Garcia and they know better than us. Also there are plenty of other OT we can work with but not over draft.
Agreed. The only 1st round OT I see where we pick is McGlinchey. I’ve done enough mocks to feel confident Kolton can be had in the mid to late 2nd. I have a couple of others in mind on day 3 but let’s not forget we have Garcia.

Agreed. The only 1st round OT I see where we pick is McGlinchey. I’ve done enough mocks to feel confident Kolton can be had in the mid to late 2nd. I have a couple of others in mind on day 3 but let’s not forget we have Garcia.

I agree about Garcia but not where you have Miller’s value. He might not even make it until 23. I don’t think he’s necessarily worth that in terms of pure film based study but positional need in a weak draft/FA class And planet theory boost his stock. He’s a very rare athlete with perfect size for the position.

I just hate to see a reach out of need especially in the first round. Same reason why I don’t want us going QB unless Allen falls.

I just hate to see a reach out of need especially in the first round. Same reason why I don’t want us going QB unless Allen falls.

In Miller’s defense there is tremendous potential there. If he becomes Nate Solder, it’ll be a worthy pick. And I say that as one of Garcia’s biggest fans. I watched him again recently and I remembered why I was such a fan this time last year. He’s so light-footed (I think that’s a quality I love in OLs. All the guys I loved seemed to have that quality - Jon Cooper, Shaq Mason, Garcia and Terron Armstead).

The best news on Day 1 (apart from getting QB) for me would be no tackle for NE (not only for poor prospects reasons..).

(would not mind Wynn but hopefully not in 1st)

The best news on Day 1 (apart from getting QB) for me would be no tackle for NE (not only for poor prospects reasons..).

(would not mind Wynn but hopefully not in 1st)

W/ ya here.
For the life of me I cant understand why some want Miller in the 1st? I honestly don't think most have really watched him. They hear Solder, big athletic guy and run w/ it.

With Dante we have someone who can take an athletic guy with T-Rex arms, like our starting LG, and make him productive.

So i’m more interested in day two and three OL prospects.

We’ve got Karras as a back-up center or guard. I’d like to see a developmental guy taken in the last two rounds to back him up.

If both Andrews and Mason were injured, what do we do?

Draft a guy who played both positions in college and represents a good value and is tough. I’m biased, but a state champion wrestler and four year starter sounds like a good seventh rounder, even if he can only play center because of short height and arm length.

Brian Allen, C, Michigan State: 2018 NFL Draft Scouting Report

What I could see is what you and some others proposed before (and I sort of suggested talking about Nelson) is bringing a much more developed and versatile OL prospect that could compete for LT in 2018 if needed (like Croston last year on an UDFA price tag)...

We already have Waddle. He's started games for us. I don't know why people think a rookie is automatically going to jump him, even if we get McGlinchy or Williams.
Waddle, save for the disaster in the swamps of New Jersey in late 2015, has Never played LT in the NFL. Plenty in college, however, but injuries might have depleted enough of his mobility to make starting at LT here a non-starter.

And Croston, almost exactly similar to the Tobin Bridge(to the QB) just plain sucks.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back