PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT OL THREAD

@captain stone

Recommend Korey Cunningham as a late round player you might find interesting. Great size and put up excellent testing numbers. Looks very smooth and athletic pulling on screens. His technique is pretty inconsistent, but wow does he look the part otherwise.

In addition, if you want long arms, Jaryd Jones-Smith has 36 1/4 inch arms and a nearly 90 inch wingspan at over 6'6. They might interest you more than the midget we've been discussing. ;)

In addition, if you want long arms, Jaryd Jones-Smith has 36 1/4 inch arms and a nearly 90 inch wingspan at over 6'6. They might interest you more than the midget we've been discussing. ;)

This years "Cannon" ? Missed serious time do to injury and dumped to mid/late day 3, but a year in Dantes school, you may have a RT for years?

This years "Cannon" ? Missed serious time do to injury and dumped to mid/late day 3, but a year in Dantes school, you may have a RT for years?

He had probably the worst year in his life a few years back. Almost lost his leg right after losing his father.

Set the record for longest wingspan at the combine.

Not the most fluid mover & has trouble w/ pad level bc he's enormous but I'd take a shot. Certainly over Miller in 1.

@captain stone

Recommend Korey Cunningham as a late round player you might find interesting. Great size and put up excellent testing numbers. Looks very smooth and athletic pulling on screens. His technique is pretty inconsistent, but wow does he look the part otherwise.

Cunningham's explosion #s are Insane for somebody 6'5/310...too bad he was hurt before he could run his shuttle & cone, though he looks like he should be able to get under 5:00/8:00 without much problem...I wonder if he has the length to stay at LT...Jones-Smith's #s aren't nearly as impressive, but he would be a RT-only anyway...with such long arms, it's no surprise that he wasn't able to lift as much, but 20 at his pro day is still lower than hoped...both look like solid UDFA signings for TC.

Last edited:
Cunningham's explosion #s are Insane for somebody 6'5/310...too bad he was hurt before he could run his shuttle & cone, though he looks like he should be able to get under 5:00/8:00 without much problem...I wonder if he has the length to stay at LT...Jones-Smith's #s aren't nearly as impressive, but he would be a RT-only anyway...with such long arms, it's no surprise that he he wasn't able to lift as much, but 20 at his pro day is still lower than hoped...both look like solid UDFA signings for TC.

Yes, I would expect both players to be in the 7th - UDFA range. I'm certainly not advocating drafting either of them higher than that. If we really liked Cunningham, he might be worth our last pick just because his speed and explosion numbers look so promising at that size. He's got a long way to go, though. Footwork is a total mess. I haven't been able to verify arm length numbers for Cunningham, but based on film, I would expect somewhere in the 33 - 34 range. His arms look like they hang down to his knees. They were the first thing I noticed when watching him.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: JAN 20 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Pictures | Getty Images

Yes, I would expect both players to be in the 7th - UDFA range. I'm certainly not advocating drafting either of them higher than that. If we really liked Cunningham, he might be worth our last pick just because his speed and explosion numbers look so promising at that size. He's got a long way to go, though. Footwork is a total mess. I haven't been able to verify arm length numbers for Cunningham, but based on film, I would expect somewhere in the 33 - 34 range. His arms look like they hang down to his knees. They were the first thing I noticed when watching him.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: JAN 20 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Pictures | Getty Images

I confirmed his arm length. Just under 33, which surprised me. He looks longer than that. Still, I like him as a priority UDFA. Low risk, lots of upside.

I've been beating the drum for Alex Cappa. I know he doesn't have the ideal arm length and hand size, but he held his own at the Sr. Bowl. He's likely in that early 3rd day grade which is where we currently don't have any picks so unless we reach for him with that 3rd rounder or trade down he could be out of reach.

Connor Williams

I've been beating the drum for Alex Cappa. I know he doesn't have the ideal arm length and hand size, but he held his own at the Sr. Bowl. He's likely in that early 3rd day grade which is where we currently don't have any picks so unless we reach for him with that 3rd rounder or trade down he could be out of reach.

If we really need a C I'd go for it but I'm not sure he'd make the team rn. I love his tape tho. He's a brawler.

funny tape analysis on Kolton “the catcher“ Miller
WARNING: not for KM fans or “Pats need to draft another rookie T“ crowd ;)

Remember how we were excited hearing just the opposite on Garcia. #85 in a weak OL class..

funny tape analysis on Kolton “the catcher“ Miller
WARNING: not for KM fans or “Pats need to draft another rookie T“ crowd ;)

Remember how we were excited hearing just the opposite on Garcia. #85 in a weak OL class..

It could be worse, Ereck Flowers is supposed to be on the trade market :)

I wish he looked more like it on the field. Maybe it’s the the fact that he’s 6’8” that’s throwing me off but when I watch him, he doesn’t look the smoothest mover. He’s no Terron Armstead in terms of being light-footed. But, nevertheless, this is an awesome string to one’s bow.

All of his issues are correctable. As I've said, he needs technique work, but his athleticism gives the most upside of any tackle in this draft. For a zone blocking team, he's pretty much the prototype. He's also only played LT this year, so there's room for growth. Every once in a while he has a perfect set, and the potential is obvious. I don't want to go LT early in this draft, but he's by far the most attractive prospect who will still be available (maybe) when we pick.

All of his issues are correctable. As I've said, he needs technique work, but his athleticism gives the most upside of any tackle in this draft. For a zone blocking team, he's pretty much the prototype. He's also only played LT this year, so there's room for growth. Every once in a while he has a perfect set, and the potential is obvious. I don't want to go LT early in this draft, but he's by far the most attractive prospect who will still be available (maybe) when we pick.

Oh I like his upside and I’d be hopeful with Dante on board and if he does work out with that athleticism, that would be tremendous. And his circumstances do remind me of Solder which also gives me hope. But, he is still a bit of a projection which is a risk for a first rounder. The pick would worry me but it’s not one I’d be angry or disappointed with. I do think O’Neill looks like the more athletic player on film but he is 15-20lbs lighter which probably explains that. I’d rank Miller behind McGlinchey, Williams and Wynn (not in order) but that’s more because I think we need someone to be good as early as possible.

Are they? And even if they are (sign me down as sceptical) in what time frame? To what extent? People are expecting some saviour LT for THIS year! Is this guy Pats best bet at starting LT in 4 months? Unless they think Garcia has no NFL future I don't understand this need to throw a 1st round pick for another tackle that cannot start this year and has quite big ? for the future.

What I could see is what you and some others proposed before (and I sort of suggested talking about Nelson) is bringing a much more developed and versatile OL prospect that could compete for LT in 2018 if needed (like Croston last year on an UDFA price tag) and then take stating job at his best NFL position whichever that turns out to be. One name many of you mentioned and Id like it as well is Wynn. Its a high price to pay but at least you're getting also the leverage re. future OL f.e. w Mason..
____

As far as comparisons to Solder go . yes, Nate had his share of issues in PP (and carries some of them to this day despite Dante) but at least he looked like a player, had a solid stance, attitude and much more strength. That you can work with..

Are they? And even if they are (sign me down as sceptical) in what time frame? To what extent? People are expecting some saviour LT for THIS year! Is this guy Pats best bet at starting LT in 4 months? Unless they think Garcia has no NFL future I don't understand this need to throw a 1st round pick for another tackle that cannot start this year and has quite big ? for the future.

What I could see is what you and some others proposed before (and I sort of suggested talking about Nelson) is bringing a much more developed and versatile OL prospect that could compete for LT in 2018 if needed (like Croston last year on an UDFA price tag) and then take stating job at his best NFL position whichever that turns out to be. One name many of you mentioned and Id like it as well is Wynn. Its a high price to pay but at least you're getting also the leverage re. future OL f.e. w Mason..
____

As far as comparisons to Solder go . yes, Nate had his share of issues in PP (and carries some of them to this day despite Dante) but at least he looked like a player, had a solid stance, attitude and much more strength. That you can work with..

I think they are. And for the record, I actually hated Solder's film at Colorado. He was so easily beaten on inside moves. Aldon Smith had something like 4 sacks against him. Dante worked wonders with him, and I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

We already have Waddle. He's started games for us. I don't know why people think a rookie is automatically going to jump him, even if we get McGlinchy or Williams.

If we really need a C I'd go for it but I'm not sure he'd make the team rn. I love his tape tho. He's a brawler.

Well at his size I think he can make it as a tackle. Time will tell. Whether it’s McGlinchey in the 1st or Kolton in the 2nd we have to come away with some OL help from next weekend.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back