• Gale Sayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric ****erson

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • OJ Simpson

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Earl Campbell

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other (Marion Motley, Bronko Nagurski, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, John Riggins, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington QB asked Riggins if he needed a blow after 35 carries...told him he'd throw a couple of passes to get Riggo a respite. Think about that...Riggins routinely carried the ball 30 to 35 times a game. Running behind those hogs he was a veritable game long battering ram.

I saw Jim Brown run when I was a kid...every Sunday. Now people like to diminish his accomplishments because of the time period and the size of players and on and on...well,even a kid like me could plainly see that Jim Brown stood head and shoulders above every other RB in the NFL at that time and stayed that way his entire career.

So yeah, if you want to make these lists Jim Brown has to always be the # 1...the rest you can make a case for just about any rank you wish...Peyton or ****erson? Campbell or OJ? Sayres or Sanders? Each was a paradigm.

and Earl Campbell was a must see RB his first 4 or 5 years in the league...positively an irresistible force.Biggest thighs I've ever seen.

Bum had so little on his team that he had to wear Campbell out in order to stay competitive, even though overuse was bound to be bad because of Campbell's running style and the amount of attention opponents were able to pay him. It's too bad, because it would have been great seeing Campbell running for more years.

This 278 yard game broke Payton's record as best ever at the time. He also had games of 246 and 216 yards.

The two RBs who carried their team the most for multiple years were Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Of course Sanders, Payton, Peterson, and others were great, but I never felt they elevated their teams as much as Brown/Campbell did.

They were as valuable as a top QB. I don't know if that can be said about any other except for maybe Emmitt and he had tons of help.

Barry Sanders definitely carried the Lions a few years and was just a freaking amazing RB. So I disagree with you there.

Emmitt was a good to great running back but, as you said, he had a lot of help getting the records he got.

If Emmitt had played with the Lions and Sanders with the Cowboys we would have seen 2500 yard seasons.:D

Some may say Brown, or Sanders, or Smith, or Payton, and they may be right. But the RB that I found simply amazing who's runs were electrifying was Gayle Sayers.

That's an awesome video.

Funny part: I'll paraphrase. Floyd - "Gayle juked one way and went the other. My mind went one way and body went the other. But Gayle made one mistake and juked back again and ran into me so I got the tackle. Gayle said "nice tackle" and I said, "I didn't tackle you, you ran into me"

hahahaha That's great.

I was spurred by these articles:

Reggie Bush, Todd Gurley among best RB prospects I've scouted

Gil Brandt's greatest NFL running backs of all time

to ask myself, "who is my 'best' running back of all time?" The way I answer such a question is, in many ways, something like the prototype that I would seek for that position. This accounts for a couple things, such as a player who plays on a bad team and other unfortunate circumstances such as injuries. I'm not one to put older football players on a pedestal, and plus I don't know nearly as much about them, so my catalog is approximately from 2000 to present, although there are exceptions.

With all of that being said, my ideal running back is somewhere between Marshall Faulk and Ladanian Tomlinson, and it got me thinking... Which one was better? Any opinions on that?

Also, in general, who do you think are the best running backs of all time and why?

I think I would have to pick Faulk as the best overall running back that I ever had the fortune to watch play football.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but have to add this.

Two things happened in the 90's that dramatically changed the game and pretty much ended the great running back era. The Salary cap and the offensive rule changes that heavily favored the passing game.

Prior to that there were some monster teams. Similar to the NBA's super teams today. The NFC seemed to have most of the super teams during the 80s and 90's and if I recall correctly the NFC won 13 SB's in a row or something like that.

Anyways it was a different game back then. A good to great running back was a must. The great running backs from the non salary cap era were freaking great.

If I were to choose which great RB from that era that could be transplanted into this era:

Sanders, OJ, Sayers, Payton and ****erson because they either had elite elusiveness or incredible acceleration. They always found a gap or created one.

Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, and maybe Franco Harris as power backs. Campbell was just a beast of a runner and probably had the biggest legs I've seen on a running back.

I never saw Jim Brown play but pretty sure he fits somewhere on this list. Everybody who saw him play says he was the best. I mean I've never heard anyone who saw him play say otherwise. He must have been something else.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to have seen them all. Jim Brown wasn't flashy but defenses put everything into stopping him. His power, toughness and doggedness were off the charts Gale Sayers was unbelievable, flash, power, athleticism. He would have been the greatest if not for injuries. Never crazy about Barry Sanders. Hardest to tackle because of his shiftiness. I just never thought of him as a complete running back. Earl Campbell, hardest runner ever, it was like the defender was standing on a railroad track trying to stop a train at full speed. I loved Bo Jackson, my favorite athlete. Like Gale Sayers, injury robbed him of his greatness.

I agree with your assessment of the players but I feel feel fortunate to have seen and rooted for Jim Brown before our Pats came along. I think he was easily the best.

I look at old age as a blessing. It gave me a chance to go to Fenway, the Garden and Foxboro to see some of the greatest players of all time in all sports. Players that many here never saw play.

I also have memories of some of the greatest games on radio. I can remember my brother and I lying in our beds in 1969, listening to the Celts win the title in LA in Russell's last season as a player and coach. It was my favorite sports moment until Tom Brady came along.

Scratching the surface and looking beyond the gross career receiving stats reveals that the old timers were just as capable as receivers as Faulk and Tomlinson. Brown, ****erson and Dorsett's abilities should not be dismissed simply because in today's NFL more play calls are made for screen passes to a back.

I think the problem with this argument is that numbers to not sufficiently describe ability, particularly for running backs catching the ball. Case in point, Jim Brown was probably by far the best player on those Browns teams. Why wouldn't they dump it off to him as much as possible? And considering how dominant he was at breaking tackles, dump-offs could easily account for 10 ypc.

In contrast, a guy like Faulk was able to line up in the slot (and split out wide) and actually find a way to get himself open. And not only that, but he had the body control to contort for tough catches, and he had the soft hands to be reliable. And then, after all that, he was still the great open field runner that was a threat to take it the distance.

I don't think it's even a fair comparison. Faulk would be much more useful in a modern offense that moves a running back around than Brown, who likely would have been limited to the backfield, much like other modern running backs (even great ones) who are sort of one-trick ponies such as Adrian Peterson.

Some of this goes back to what you actually value at any given position and how you would develop a scheme for this hypothetical team you are choosing one player or the other for. That's part of what is so fun about this exercise though.

Why assume that while everyone else was getting bigger, stronger and faster, the players we are talking about when hypothetically transporting them from one generation to the next would not also get bigger, stronger and faster? The same advances in training, nutrition, etc. would be available to the players from previous eras in this scenario. The expectation should be that those older era stars would still be bigger, stronger and faster than other players today.

That's one view to take. Another view is that the league has gotten bigger/stronger/faster, not because the same people who would have been stars yesterday simply train better now, but because *different* players have come into the fold that wouldn't have previously, either because there is more interest (football is more popular) or because their body perhaps is more malleable for training. And for the latter, maybe it's even a situation where the modern players would have been *worse* in previous eras, but now they are better in the current era, due to certain biomechanics specifics like certain body frames being less efficient until a high enough muscle mass is reached. Or maybe, modern training and nutrition simply has an equalizing effect: a naturally great athlete like Jim Brown remains a great athlete, but now the rest of the guys on the field catch up mostly and there is so much more competition for him to run against.

PS - Looking for anyone in the current NFL that could break my thesis, I found Leveon Bell, David Johnson, and Tevin Coleman as guys with some of the same skills that my smaller running backs that I previously mentioned also had. I'll still have to mull that over for a bit.

Of course, arguably the most talented of those three I just mentioned, Johnson, was not considered by Belichick either to be on Faulk's level as of last season: Bill Belichick: David Johnson isn't Marshall Faulk

One of my main issues with taking someone who's one-dimensional like Adrian Peterson, not that he's not great nevertheless, as my best ever or 'prototype' is that nowadays, basically any top 10 defense can nearly eliminate the running game from the other team's gameplan, particularly if their offense can pass the ball well enough to force the other team to play from behind (and thus make running a less favorable option). If you have an elite running back who dominates as a receiver as well, you don't have as much surface area for a defense to do that to you.

Last edited:
Barry Sanders definitely carried the Lions a few years and was just a freaking amazing RB. So I disagree with you there.

Emmitt was a good to great running back but, as you said, he had a lot of help getting the records he got.

If Emmitt had played with the Lions and Sanders with the Cowboys we would have seen 2500 yard seasons.:D

I understand your point about Barry, but it never seemed he could carry his team to a championship like it did with Campbell. There were a few years where it felt the Oilers had a chance, even the great 70's Steelers in their division along with Miami, Air Coryell, a tough New England, and Denver.

It would be ridiculous for me to debate that Barry was not the second greatest ever. It just never felt the Lions were ever going to win anything with him. The Oilers had nobody, just like the Detroit, but they won two playoff games in one year pretty much solely because of Earl, only finally losing to perhaps the best team ever.

Yes, he was impossible to tackle but I always felt he didn't play within the offense and his running style sometimes inhibited the effectiveness of the team. One man's opinion.

Fair point, but if theres one position free lancing wont hurt you too much(as long as the reward is worth it when it does work which it certainly is with this player), it is rb.

Wr does it - possible pick
Defender does it - possible large gain or td given up
Rb does it - you maybe lose 3 yards instead of no gain.

Plus if barry played for a half decent franchise who fielded more capable teams around him maybe he couldve played more within the system, less negative plays, and still do amazing things...

Last edited:
You have been here a few months and you are cementing your legacy here

The other day you are cutting Malcom Mitchell to keep Austin Carr and Coady Hollester and today its this nonsense.

Are you 8 years old?
Thanks, I too know to not take your opinions very seriously now.

Thanks, I too know to not take your opinions very seriously now.
awwwww I am hurt that a dumb nobody here isnt going to take me serious. Coming from a guy who wants to cut Malcom Mitchell for Coady Hollister and thinks Kevin Faulk is the GOAT Running back, I will take it as a compliment.

Speaking of not being taken serious - Has a female ever taken you serious?

awwwww I am hurt that a dumb nobody here isnt going to take me serious. Coming from a guy who wants to cut Malcom Mitchell for Coady Hollister and thinks Kevin Faulk is the GOAT Running back, I will take it as a compliment.

Speaking of not being taken serious - Has a female ever taken you serious?
d8b0qPf.jpg

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. Two very different styles.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. Two very different styles.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders played at mutually exclusive times, the NFL in the 50's and 60's is nowhere near what the NFL was in the 90's.... the game was completely different.

Jim Brown was great but was physically overpowering in his age. If he played now, at 6'2", 230, he'd be good but would have a much different career with the size and speed of linebackers and offensive linemen. Highlight videos show him running over and away from much smaller men. That would not be the case today.

For my money, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, and Eric ****erson were the consistently best backs I've ever seen over a 3+ year career.

I think the problem with this argument is that numbers to not sufficiently describe ability, particularly for running backs catching the ball. Case in point, Jim Brown was probably by far the best player on those Browns teams. Why wouldn't they dump it off to him as much as possible? And considering how dominant he was at breaking tackles, dump-offs could easily account for 10 ypc.

Different game 50 years ago.

Brown could catch the ball and make yards. but the Coaching wasn't nearly as sophisticated.

In addition to being arguably the best football player he is also considered the best Lacrosse player ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes