• Gale Sayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric ****erson

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • OJ Simpson

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Earl Campbell

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other (Marion Motley, Bronko Nagurski, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, John Riggins, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Brown was great but was physically overpowering in his age. If he played now, at 6'2", 230, he'd be good but would have a much different career with the size and speed of linebackers and offensive linemen. Highlight videos show him running over and away from much smaller men. That would not be the case today.

For my money, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, and Eric ****erson were the consistently best backs I've ever seen over a 3+ year career.

This is the same flawed logic that people use to diminish Bill Russell's accomplishments, as if there weren't any big men around in those days.

The DB's that Brown ran over and around in his day are the same proportion to the NYFL RB's as the DB's are today.

If you move Jim Brown into the modern day he also benefits from modern training and nutrition. In the 1960s that was really primitive. That's the thing about historical arguments, it kind of cuts both ways. If you take the kind of people who were phenoms in the past and give them modern training you get... a modern phenom, basically.

I think it's hilarious that the all-time rushing leader in NFL history isn't even on the list. He didn't even make it to the "others" section.

To take it one step further, the guy he overtook (Peyton) had one vote prior to my selection. Let's just overlook the top 2 rushers in NFL history for guys like LaDanien Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk.

Belichick says "************" to this list, shakes his head, and walks off stage.

If you move Jim Brown into the modern day he also benefits from modern training and nutrition. In the 1960s that was really primitive. That's the thing about historical arguments, it kind of cuts both ways. If you take the kind of people who were phenoms in the past and give them modern training you get... a modern phenom, basically.

This.

Look at what Adrian Peterson, a Jim Brown style back, has done today. Give Brown the training, and nutrition, of today, and he would out perform Peterson.

There are players that transcend all the eras. Jim Brown, John Hannah, Jim Parker, Lawrence Taylor, Randy Moss, to name a few.

Last edited:
Jim Brown left the NFL prematurely to pursue acting.. no one knows what he would have done in this day and age.

Jim Brown is the first NFL player that I followed at a much different time and a much different game than what the NFL is now..

Without regard he scored 126 TD's in a 9 year career, averaging 14 per year.. 21 TD's in his final year(his prime??). Career rushing per attempt of 5.2.. he was that good.

Jim Brown never missed a start in his career...

I didn't read all of this thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned Duane Thomas? But pure talent wise he was up there with the best. Unfortunately he was a serious head case.

very very difficult but if i have to take one i go with Earl Campbell

Emmitt Smith has somehow come to be underrated. He wasn't flashy and he didn't have track star speed, but he was really good at every aspect of the game, and of course he was also virtually indestructible. His records are probably 100% untouchable.

People credit the Dallas OL, which was very good at the start of his career but the rot had already start to set in by 1996, and he still had 2 elite seasons in 1998 and 1999 (age 29 and 30) when Aikman was basically dead.

Walter Payton was ridiculous, and had no passing game to speak of to take the pressure off except in 1985. Chicago was a QB wasteland his whole career except the few games McMahon was healthy at the end.

Jim Brown left the NFL prematurely to pursue acting.. no one knows what he would have done in this day and age.

Jim Brown is the first NFL player that I followed at a much different time and a much different game than what the NFL is now..

Without regard he scored 126 TD's in a 9 year career, averaging 14 per year.. 21 TD's in his final year(his prime??). Career rushing per attempt of 5.2.. he was that good.

Jim Brown never missed a start in his career...
th
th

Dillon was incredible. You could argue once he got here he had already lost 1/2 a step and still ran for 1600 yds

I always wonder if Bo Jackson had a 10 year career healthy in the NFL....

The thing I loved about Dillon when he was in NE was he rarely lost yards. To me, the perfect RB is the one that you give the ball to when you need 3 yards, the D knows you are running, and the RB still manages to get that 3 yards. I would take the guy that runs for 3, 5, 4, 3, 12, and the occasional 25 over the guy that runs for -1, 0, 2, 0, 65. Give me the big, powerful battering ram over the small shifty guy that has one fantastic run for every 10 no gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back