PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson, Damien Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Ben Watson. I got attacked for that.. apologize now, I will forgive.

Most of the league seems to think RBs is an easier position for rookies to break in Bill seems to think different. The last few rookie RBs have had light loads as rookies.

I guess that is mostly true, with Michael perhaps being the exception, although his spike in productivity was near the end of the year and almost exclusively on running plays as opposed to passing plays.

Most cite Harris's blocking and lack of special teams as the reason he has been on the bench, but in college he was a fine, tough blocker and also played some special teams (although I'm sure that he isn't Bolden's equal on special teams).

As you point out, most Patriot RBs have had light loads as rookies, perhaps the Patriots offense, particularly blitz pickup, is simply too sophisticated for most rookies to master. Otherwise I just can't figure out why Harris hasn't seen the field more. He probably doesn't have quite the escapability that Michael does, but I thought his combination of tough running, ball protection, blocking, and mistake-free football would be ideal for the Patriots, I thought he would see a ton of snaps this year.

Most like he is a liability in schemes that involve pass protection and he is not talented enough to be on the field just for run only plays. I doubt josh wants to telegraph we are running the ball like we did last year with the problems we’ve had at online.

I agree with this theory as the bulk of the reason why. With the current health issues, and lack of depth on the O-line, do we really need a rookie learning how to block at the pro level added to the mix?

I’d love to kick the tires on the new toy, but I’d much rather do our best to keep Brady healthy.

One thing about BB I noticed.

When it comes to roster management, he won't make a decision until he HAS to make a decision.

What if Izzo or LaCosse got hurt yesterday? Keeping Ben around last week made sense.

They need WR help. Allen is still home if they are desperate.

They'll be fine if they cut him.
Watson is old but he is as good as he has been in recent years he’s a nice addition.

The media misinformation never ceases to amaze me. These people follow the team for a living and still can't seem to keep up with things a fan can learn with a 20 minute daily perusal of a message board. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just can't figure out why Harris hasn't seen the field more.

Because all the other RBs have skills or experience Harris lacks, and the one game where a door was open to him being active, other injuries forced the team to dedicate the last couple spots to special teams.

There really is no mystery here.

Watson is old but he is as good as he has been in recent years he’s a nice addition.
I like Watson. I think he still has gas in the tank and can help the team.

The bigger question is does $2m spent elsewhere on the roster help more.

Any Patriots RB MUST master blitz pickup.
Remember excellent blocker Kevin Faulk missing the 2008 opening game?
Lesson learned.

Wonder if he’d play for less. May not be worth it to him. He might rather return to his family. Would be cool if like Wilfork wins his rook season and final season with New England.

his rookie year, james white got into 3 games.....2 were blowouts and one was week 17 when everyone else sat

just sayin'

Pass protection/ blitz pickup is key.

That plus timing on running plays with the OL, which is having to climb a hill in real time to get its timing down.

Well is 4:00pm the Deadline for Ben Watson??

Did the new guys show enough yesterday to be retained instead of a 38 year old on
a one year contract? Said player also needs time to catch up after his suspension.

If we don't retain Watson then the other shoe will drop as a trade would be in the works for a receiver or O Lineman.

Diggs Sanders make the most sense.

That’s the way I see it. Also, Sanders cost decreases as we move forward. What is his value now compared to a few weeks later? Similar I think. I expect LaCosse and Izzo to remain, so Watson would make 3 TEs and someone else would have to go. Some uncomfortable folks in Foxboro this afternoon.

The media misinformation never ceases to amaze me. These people follow the team for a living and still can't seem to keep up with things a fan can learn with a 20 minute daily perusal of a message board. :rolleyes:

Like on the broadcast yesterday when they said than Ryan was Larry Izzo's son! I'm thinking to myself, no he isn't. Just making **** up, that's todays media.

As as aside, we can create over $11M in new cap room, if we so choose.

$2.3M Restructure Hightower (same compensation and contract length)
$2.0M Restructure Mason (same compensation and contract length)
$3.0M Extend Devin McCourty with 1 voidable year (a fake contract)
$2.0M Waive Watson
$1.7M Extend Van Noy
$11M Total New Cap Space Created

There are other minor restructures that could add another $2M.
=====
The issues are value and the health of currently injured players.

We coulda had Dawson Knox.

I don’t think they waited this long to keep him. I think Reiss was more than speculating.

That AB cap hit screwed us. We’d be in prime position to get Sanders or Diggs. Even bringing Gronk back is difficult.

Yeah Watson’s $2.4m hit is now part of the equation.

It wouldn’t matter so much if they had just kept AB. Offense would be humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore