PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson, Damien Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd rationally think Harris would have to be hurt, but the (lack of) evidence indicates that he's just a healthy scratch, which also makes sense given it's week 5 of his rookie season. I don't agree with the decision but we can't just conclude he's injured.
Most like he is a liability in schemes that involve pass protection and he is not talented enough to be on the field just for run only plays. I doubt josh wants to telegraph we are running the ball like we did last year with the problems we’ve had at online.

You can only dress so many players. They clearly decided it was more important to cover Burkhead's special teams role than his offensive role, figuring (correctly, it seems) that the difference from Harris to Bolden on offense was less meaningful than the difference from Richards to whoever else on coverage teams. Harris is an insurance policy against injury to Michel or White at this point, and running back isn't a position that necessarily needs a ton of game action to be ready. There's no need to IR him, he's just the fourth running back on a team that dresses three backs (and a special teamer who can act as one).

Maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses but I think they really like Harris and are giving him every opportunity to become fully acclimated so he can play with total confidence. Bolden has earned the right to have his current role. Pass protection is vitally important obviously.

Yeah, for Harris I think it's basically all about ST. Burkhead and Bolden play ST, so it's worth having them both on the roster, even if only one of them is getting RB snaps. With one of them down, you replace the ST aspect, not the RB aspect. If they lost someone like Michel or White, Harris might have a better shot.

Most of the league seems to think RBs is an easier position for rookies to break in Bill seems to think different. The last few rookie RBs have had light loads as rookies.

Most of the league seems to think RBs is an easier position for rookies to break in Bill seems to think different. The last few rookie RBs have had light loads as rookies.
Pass protection/ blitz pickup is key.

I don't get all the Harris excitement. Sony is the man.

The Watson thing is something I don’t think any of us saw coming. It feels right now like he’s not going to be on the team. I can’t say it’s devastating or anything, but it is surprising. I wonder if it just was that he looked like he had fallen off more than they thought, or if there’s something else in the works and they don’t want to commit that amount of cap space to him.

They'll IR him on the next niggle if it's a redshirt year.

That would be a waste since he needs practice and he can’t practice on IR.

I'm calling it.

Watson is gone.

Leaning same way. Is there cap relief associated with parting ways ?
$2m

I think getting Izzo and LaCosse going yesterday was a test.

I'm calling it.

Watson is gone.
I don’t think they waited this long to keep him. I think Reiss was more than speculating.

That AB cap hit screwed us. We’d be in prime position to get Sanders or Diggs. Even bringing Gronk back is difficult.

I don’t think they waited this long to keep him. I think Reiss was more than speculating.

That AB cap hit screwed us. We’d be in prime position to get Sanders or Diggs. Even bringing Gronk back is difficult.
One thing about BB I noticed.

When it comes to roster management, he won't make a decision until he HAS to make a decision.

What if Izzo or LaCosse got hurt yesterday? Keeping Ben around last week made sense.

They need WR help. Allen is still home if they are desperate.

They'll be fine if they cut him.

What makes more sense is the Patriots are using the cap to improve the O line or bring in competition at receiver.
Emanuel Sanders or AJ Green Is a much bigger need that Watson.
Tyler Eiffert would make me question BB Lacosse and Izzo can do enough at a fraction of the price.
We need someone who can get open every play and honestly Sanders fits that mold better than anyone else available.
The superfan in me wants to see Brady and AJ Green but cap and compensation it will never happen.

Harris is Michel insurance. I doubt we see much of him until Sony goes down as this looks like a redshirt year. Vereen and White got redshirted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes