PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichickism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only does he put players in a position to make plays, i.e. playing to their strengths.. but never recall him getting into some type of foray with an player about their inadequacies or openly criticizing them, instead if they do not "buy in" they are gone..

No excuses, no open criticism, very smart coaching staff, a brilliant football mind all leads to what we are seeing and have seen for the past 20 years..

His ability to impart information that is concise, detailed and understandable to the coaches and players.

Being able to put players into a position to maximize their strengths and minimize their weakness - and making that work to make the whole better than the individuals efforts

You can begin to get a feel for BB appreciation of the history of the game and his vast knowledge of the game watching him on the NFL 100 greatest players series. He is having a blast with the players in the studio and you can tell his compliments for those players mean a great deal to them. References Sun Tzu when he is mnetioned as one of the 10 greatest coaches of the first 100 years of the NFL.

Has anyone seen another head football coach huddle up with one of his units on the sidelines during a game to explain an adjustment? And the adjustment usually improves things? Is that only Bill? Even a coach that everyone respects like Sean McVay had nothing for Goff in the Super Bowl X's and O's wise.

An overlooked irony is that the work scholly kid at Andover became a great teacher and employed some other great teachers as coaches.

One of my favorite Belichick coaching stories is how he helped LeGarrette Blount. After Blount first signed with the Pats and ran noticeably better, he explained that Belichick had personally worked with him to run lower to the ground. He said that he was told throughout his college and NFL career that he ran too upright, but not until he got to the Pats did anyone work with him to correct it and it was Belichick that personally did.

Last edited:
Belichick is also not afraid to think outside of the box, to break the bounds of conventions if that helps.

Case in point: last week's game against Dallas, when we were going North to South on the field (with the wind at our back) and ST was on the field to receive punts, Belichick had the entire backfield cleared, electing to let the wind act as the punt receiver. That was genius on several levels- it avoided the potential of a fumble, avoided the risk of another player being forced to catch the punt (as happened to the Cowboys). It also threw the Cowboys ST into disarray, so much they were called for delay of game, then illegal formation.

The wind did a very good job as a punt receiver, downing the ball at the 40 yard line at one point.

The Cowboys on the other hand? Not only did their ST act like it was an ordinary day of football, but some of them, including Dak later revealed they had never practiced in wet conditions or with wet footballs.

How the Cowboys were able to recover all 4 of their fumbles is beyond belief. I guess the good Lord wants to enjoy the Garrett circus just a little longer.

As boring as it is for the media, I've always liked how tight lipped he gets during any controversies no matter how big or small. He keeps the team focused and ready for the next game. I also love when the media tries to ask any inflammatory or dumb questions Bill's responses are always so blunt and dry it makes them look like morons for asking the question.

Bill the GM is killing Bill the HC.

While the phrase "on to Cincinnati" has become kind of cliché, I don't think most people - especially in the media - realize just how GREAT of a coaching moment that was.

The Patriots just got their butts whupped by KC to fall to 2-2. The media sharks are circling. Nothing the media loves more than kicking a team when they're down. "Is your 37 year old QB too old? Did you surround your QB with the right tools? Was this a matter of conditioning? Did you surround Tom Brady with the talent he needs?" (etc)

There's literally no right answer to any of those questions, so Belichick doesn't even bother to answer them. He sends a message to the media and, more importantly, to the team: We are on to Cincinnati. It isn't about the past, it isn't about the future, it's about next week's game.

The Patriots went 13-2 the rest of the way (and one of those losses was a meaningless week 17 game).

One underrated trait of BB that no one posted in this thread is his coolness under pressure. Just like TB.
Pressure doesn't get any bigger than the end of the Seattle SB. It seemed all was lost. Even BBs coaches, including Matty P were getting a little panicky.
BB was calm and cool. Laser focused.

Bill has been so great at adapting. Game to game. Year to year. Goes w the times doesn't fight it. Ahead of curve, but smart enough to look back into history for info & guidance. He'll steal from college but look into the past or use another college variation to combat w/e problem he has.

He's down Bama talking & listening. Watching Riley at OK. Iowa St.

Bill has also been looking into analytics before his time w NEP.

I always find it funny no one gives him some credit for the evolution of the slot WR.

Who, anywhere handles scandals, disruptions better? Legitimately asking? It's actually quite impressive when you think abt the hundreds or so people he deals w directly/indirectly.

I'm not sure there's anyone as good as he is in terms of finding/surrounding himself w talent. Not just for show but challenging him, bringing different ideas & trends to his attention. Unbelievable at delegating responsibility to the right person. They might not be the best head coach but like his players Bill puts his coaches in positions to win.

Nothing will happen that he hasn't seen. He's not going to panic bc he's been there before. 20+ years of enormous games. Thousands of times in his head. Bill loses but he won't shake.

One underrated trait of BB that no one posted in this thread is his coolness under pressure. Just like TB.
Pressure doesn't get any bigger than the end of the Seattle SB. It seemed all was lost. Even BBs coaches, including Matty P were getting a little panicky.
BB was calm and cool. Laser focused.

There's no better example of that than him staring at the Seattle sideline in the closing seconds of the SB and therefore deciding to go against the grain and not calling a timeout.

Belichick is also not afraid to think outside of the box, to break the bounds of conventions if that helps. ...

No disrespect to the story, which is great - "let the wind be the receiver." But this is one of a number of moments, as you say, demonstrating a point that BB has mastered, i.e., apparent arrogance (AKA, treating each situation, each form of preparation, each opponent... as what it is.)

This dovetails with the never-too-high, never-too-low ethos, the almost fawning evaluation of upcoming opponents, etc. First of all, he knows that if we are thinking about the "idea" of how good we are, we aren't. That's an illusion and a distraction. Whatever the other guy does well, he can destroy us with, if we do not diagnose it and counter it methodically and intentionally.

He must find it a little funny when other coaches talk about how they play with emotion and fire etc. etc. etc. and they don't want to tamp that down... er okay, thank you for the tell, first off, and secondly, how are you thinking through what you've prepared for the next situation if you're flexing because you hit a runner 2 yards in the backfield?

Another BB point I love (sort of a segue) is that information is a resource. Every scrap. He doesn't give it away for free, and he doesn't let it go to waste when he gets access to it, and I so don't want to drag cameragate into it LOL.

He practices awareness of the information and resources at his disposal (not all of which are players on the field), and depriving the opponent of information and resources, which takes the form of many of the habits and traits we are talking about.

Every team is different, every season is different, every game is different.

And every situation, your options are exactly what they are -- not what everybody else has done, not what some talking head's chart says... your options are what they are.

By the way, another of the million examples thereof... Back when we had Grahambo and Ben Watson on the same team, I thought we were going to go TE crazy.. and we ended up convinced we needed them to block more than catch. I then thought no no no, this Hernandez/Gronk draft does not mean we're going TE crazy... And the rest of the league had pretty much the same idea. There was Hernandez, Witten, Gonzales, everybody else? 300 yards, 3 TD.

After drafting that position seemingly every draft, they finally got the pull on the draft slot machine they wanted. They got that skill set combination, and did not hesitate to ride it for insane production or look back. Badda bing badda boom, a new day dawns of catching TEs.

1 more: "Hey nobody else is eating up the skills we need for a 2 gap 3-4 D, let's do that." "Richard Seymour is too tall to play tackle and is a waste of a draft pick" --Wrong Borges.

We were one of maybe 3 teams playing a 3-4 base D back during that first dynasty... but there's more copying in the NFL than at Kinkos, so I imagine about a third of the league is all about the 3-4 now. Meanwhile... the prominence of 3-4 is far from absolute for the Pats now.

I got kind of out there I think.

I meant to say, other coaches seem to do what they think they have to do. BB does what he think gives the team the best chance to win, FU if you disagree. I even think he might respect Pete Carroll for not running Marshawn Lynch in that SB. Unfortunately for Carroll, BB had had the team practice that very rub route.

Que sera sera :D

Bill Belichick was the one to introduce “Do your job” into sports culture and if you listen you can hear how far it permeates. You hear it in interviews in college and high school football and even other sports.

That said, this thread feels like the SNL Ditka / Da Bears skit.

“What if Bill Belichick went up against the Hurricane??”

Bruce Lee's fighting style was not having a style. He saw them as traps, ruts you get stuck in.

Belichick is the same way about offensive and defensive playcalling. He has no fixed way of doing things on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back