PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichickism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching that train wreck coach in Dallas yesterday makes you appreciate BB even more. That team would be 13-3 at worst with BB as coach. Coaching matters in this league. The Chiefs and Rams had more talent than the Patriots. But they didn't have the GOAT coach. Or QB.

Bruce Lee's fighting style was not having a style. He saw them as traps, ruts you get stuck in.

Belichick is the same way about offensive and defensive playcalling. He has no fixed way of doing things on the field.

And especially on a weekly basis. He bristled every time he was asked a question about "your 3-4 defense" or "4-3."

Bruce Lee's fighting style was not having a style. He saw them as traps, ruts you get stuck in.

Belichick is the same way about offensive and defensive playcalling. He has no fixed way of doing things on the field.

"Be like water"

I'm sure this has been brought up. I'm still watching tape from 2009 trying to learn. It's an incredibly tedious process to go through even if you're not "padding" everything on paper.

I'm sure this has been brought up. I'm still watching tape from 2009 trying to learn. It's an incredibly tedious process to go through even if you're not "padding" everything on paper.

Would not want to do this for my job... NE is definitely not for everyone.

Most importantly, Belichick understands that leadership on any level - be it coaching, management, etc., - is most effective as the result of a collective. He'll take, respect, and even implement input from not only Josh or whoever his D coordinator may be, but he'll also lend his ear to the players.

He recognizes that others have perspectives he simply can't see, both literally and figuratively. Furthermore, this is suggested in his staff - McDaniels himself was previously a defensive coach. He also has an expectation that his offensive players know how defense works and vice versa.

All this culminates in is an environment that encourages both learning and communication. It feeds itself, so as long as the most important link in the chain is still listening to those beneath it.

And it's not just X's and O's. It's morale, it's workouts, and so much more. Belichick, though a genius himself, realizes the true meaning of "it takes a village."

He is a staple of good leadership, he's as selfless as an NFL head coach can come, but that all is enhanced by his confidence in his final decision. He just knows when to say yes or no most of the times. It's a beautiful thing to acknowledge. I manage a retail store, which is not anywhere close to the level of an NFL football game. But I take heed of the ways he leads his organization. The first always being "Players win games, coaches lose 'em"
Auerbachian.

Funny, given the media reputation as a tyrranical control freak.

Would not want to do this for my job... NE is definitely not for everyone.
Survival of the fittest type ****. Definitely not for everyone but the guys coming back asking for more, asking questions & doing it on their own time are the huge reward. Maybe not head coach material but you know you have something if they can get through that.

*edit*
Somewhere or someone suggests you can do this in 4-5 hours lol? Maybe the brightest, smartest when they're familiar with the teams, scheme etc but this is a painstaking process that can easily run double that time. Personnel, formation, coverages etc that is A LOT of work. You have to absolutely love this & not afraid of hard work.

Last edited:
I remember 2004, heading into a Foxborough playoff matchup with the Colts, and the talk was about the Pats practicing in the elements whereas the Colts, under Dungy, were practicing in a dome. At the time, it seemed like an example of Bill simply being smarter than Dungy.

But NFL coaches are not as powerful as we think, when there are players on the team who make more money and are considered less dispensable. Those of us that played in high school and college aren't familiar with a dynamic like that, where the coaches and players are more collaborators than bosses and subordinates (Pat McAfee, formerly of the Colts, talks about it in his podcast).

Amendola, upon joining Miami, talked in an interview about how he hated Bill for making him practice in the elements. All due respect to Amendola, but who is he to complain about anything? Our 4th or 5th receiver? But that's just it; he's a multi-million dollar professional athlete, and making him practice in the elements was clearly an issue, even though it was obviously the best thing for the team's preparation. Dungy wasn't stupid back in 2004, he just didn't have the clout to make a bunch of millionaire kids do something unpleasant.

Bill is the boss. A dictatorship is the perfect government if you have the perfect dictator. He's a genius, he's selfless, and with him alone at the helm the entire organization works to one purpose, in one manner. Most of all, he has the clout to keep players in line, and run the thing as though it were a college program.

So many things that I could say about BB,

Work Ethic, no one works harder and smarter than he does.. have heard on different occasions that after returning home from a Sun or Mon nite game will stay at Gillette all night review film and start to work on next week's game..

Talent Evaluator, he is often bashed for his draft prowess or lack there of.. but he has found so many diamonds in the rough that the Pats are deep in many positions.

Smarter and Football Smarter than every other coach in the NFL..

Prepared, many times have D players or ST players commented after a great D play that impacted the games outcome that BB had them practice what they did the previous week or previously.

Challenges and pushes every rue, sometime stupidly, but for the most part knows the ins and out of rules and how he can use it to the Pats advantage. The first SB for example, he allowed Ty et al to beat the crap out of the "Greatest Show On Turf", of course the rule changed after that.

His ability to take pressure off of players and put it on himself (Coaching staff), many times there have been a series of O or D faux pas and instead of pointing out a specific player or groups of players, he will blame the himself and the coaches..

On and on, but he will never admit it.. but I for one think he is the greatest NFL coach of all time..

Very little ego in decision making—makes a mistake, he’ll cut his losses. Regardless of how it looks.

Is that a Belichick appreciation thread?

Is that a Belichick appreciation thread?

No, it's a collection of anecodotes about how and what makes BB so great. I'd be happy for less opinions and more facts.

A lot has already been said but maybe one thing not mentioned is how BB handles a mistake.

If he screws up (draft picks, game plan, players) he learns from it and moves on quickly. There is no hubris or ego he is trying to protect.

I remember 2004, heading into a Foxborough playoff matchup with the Colts, and the talk was about the Pats practicing in the elements whereas the Colts, under Dungy, were practicing in a dome. At the time, it seemed like an example of Bill simply being smarter than Dungy.

But NFL coaches are not as powerful as we think, when there are players on the team who make more money and are considered less dispensable. Those of us that played in high school and college aren't familiar with a dynamic like that, where the coaches and players are more collaborators than bosses and subordinates (Pat McAfee, formerly of the Colts, talks about it in his podcast).

Amendola, upon joining Miami, talked in an interview about how he hated Bill for making him practice in the elements. All due respect to Amendola, but who is he to complain about anything? Our 4th or 5th receiver? But that's just it; he's a multi-million dollar professional athlete, and making him practice in the elements was clearly an issue, even though it was obviously the best thing for the team's preparation. Dungy wasn't stupid back in 2004, he just didn't have the clout to make a bunch of millionaire kids do something unpleasant.

Bill is the boss. A dictatorship is the perfect government if you have the perfect dictator. He's a genius, he's selfless, and with him alone at the helm the entire organization works to one purpose, in one manner. Most of all, he has the clout to keep players in line, and run the thing as though it were a college program.

I feel like that's why Brady was the perfect match for Belichick. Brady probably helps keep some players in line by accepting Bill's methods.

A lot has already been said but maybe one thing not mentioned is how BB handles a mistake.

If he screws up (draft picks, game plan, players) he learns from it and moves on quickly. There is no hubris or ego he is trying to protect.
I JUST SAID THAT ROBERT. PAY ATTENTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand