PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick still greatest of all time coach?

Greatest defensive coach of all time. Offensively his is lacking but what else can you expect from a guy who came up in the league on the defensive side. What made BB and Tom dynamic was one was a great offensive mind and the other was a great defensive mind.

Our offense will continue to stink. BB can't possibly think surrounding qb's with JAG wide receivers is a good idea. That may work with Brady but not with lesser qb's.
Best post in this thread.

What can I say Biffins? My faith in Belichicks ability to field a competitive team is not shaken.

I have not fallen into the trap of thinking that the changes being made in New England can be ironed out in just a few months. Last year we just tread water. This is the first year of the rebuild. This is the start of the process now that legitimate talent has been added to the roster.

And get over the Brady stuff, will you? He was here for 20 years and worked very closely will bill on a day in day out basis... all all of a sudden it was a "shock" that Belichick was unbending? WTF?????? Its completely unfair to say that it was all "Bills ego" that caused the split, when you damn well know Brady has a big ego as well... Its bs to hold one man accountable and the other blameless as wayyyy too many people have done.
LOL at last year “not counting “

so we give bill a mulligan for 7-9? Drafting horribly and putting us in cap hell

LOL at last year “not counting “

so we give bill a mulligan for 7-9? Drafting horribly and putting us in cap hell
Never said "not counting". Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

This year the pieces are now in place for the future... Tom walked out the door, and it's not easy replacing the greatest to ever play the position... New players are here, the talent is here, taking shape... Time to grow as a team.

Last year - Difficult situation complicated by a pandemic and all that entailed. We still won 7. When we rightly should have won 4.

But you want to interpret that as me giving him a mulligan? Meh, I'm fine with that but don't be disingenuous and attribute words to me that I did not say.

Last edited:
Question for you fools:

Who is GREATER than Belichick?
Bill is an all time great coach. All intelligent fans would agree. When we say Belichick is GOAT we’re saying BB is a greater coach hands down than every other all time great coach like Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Brown, Walsh, Gibbs, Shula and the rest of them. Is he? I’d like to think so only because I’m a Patriots fan. How do we know that he is? There are arguments for and against. The only thing BB has clearly in his favor is rings and he had the built in advantage of having the greatest QB who ever lived on his roster.

Last edited:
Interesting read

This was as of August 2020 so Bill's updated record without Brady is 62-74, or a .455 win pct.

Bill for sure isn't the only all time great coach to be less successful without his superstar QB. Walsh was .425 without Montana and Noll was .469 without Bradshaw. Brown is only just above .500 without Graham though he did have a good record post merger.

It's hard not to agree with the conclusion - it really is easier for a great QB to keep winning away from their coach than vice versa.

Bill is an all time great coach. All intelligent fans would agree. When we say Belichick is GOAT we’re saying BB is a greater coach hands down than every other all time great coach like Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Brown, Walsh, Gibbs, Shula and the rest of them. Is he? I’d like to think so only because I’m a Patriots fan. How do we know that he is? There are arguments for and against. The only thing BB has clearly in his favor is rings and he had the built in advantage of having the greatest QB who ever lived on his roster.
IMO Bill is a defensive savant. Pure genius. No question. As a HC, I would take probably a half dozen coaches over him if you given them Brady as their QB.

BB is the best forever.

We're onto Tommy the Commie and Tampa Bay.

You can make a case for probably three to five head coaches as the best coach of all time. Belichick is one of them. And I think he is. But you could make a valid cases for guys like Shula and Lombardi too.

But I think he has far more to his advantage than just the rings and Brady. I just think that is an inaccurate analysis to say that especially in the early part of the dynasty. Back in the early 2000s, teams were trying to copy the Patriots model because Belichick changed things up so much from switching to the 3-4 to account for the changes in the offenses where no one other than the Steelers ran it to putting more of an emphasis on special team to approaching free agency trying to find either older players who were smart players who could be good role players or younger guys with similar skill sets who didn't command big salaries rather than bigger named, higher priced free agents.

maybe Kraft should just fire BB and hire someone else. Considering this is even a debate is sacrilegious .But not surprising . Everyone last yr wanted Sony Michel gone but now every now and then we hear "Having Sony might be nice" .

maybe Kraft should just fire BB and hire someone else. Considering this is even a debate is sacrilegious .But not surprising . Everyone last yr wanted Sony Michel gone but now every now and then we hear "Having Sony might be nice" .
1127192975.jpg.0.jpg

Dean Smith once said, after winning his first national championship, "I am not a better coach now than I was 5 minutes ago".

And the fact that you had to mention Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Brown, Walsh, Gibbs, Shula...etc...means that BB is at the very least IN THE CONVERSATION which makes him, by far, the best coach in the NFL today. All of the above guys have been retired for at least 12 years.....

which makes him, by far, the best coach in the NFL today.
Sure I'd put him at the top for today's coaches. Dunno about "by far". Reid is visible in the rear view mirror. So is Payton. I can't stand Harbaugh but he's up there too. I know Arians doesn't get a lot of respect but he's also a good coach. Ditto Tomlin

Last edited:
Sure I'd put him at the top for today's coaches. Dunno about "by far". Reid is visible in the rear view mirror. So is Payton. I can't stand Harbaugh but he's up there too. I know Arians doesn't get a lot of respect but he's also a good coach.

I'll give you Payton...one of the greatest halftime calls ever in SB 44.

As for Reid...just ask any Eagle fan about his clock management skills.

Harbaugh is okay I guess....but not knowing about ineligible receivers potentially being anyone on the LOS....(shrugs)

Arians? He's OK...better than most coaches, but TB12 is running his offense down there in Tampa...even BB said so...

I think if they have a losing season this year and it continues next year, Bill's seat gets very hot. That would be 3 straight years with losing seasons without Brady, a top QB falls into your lap at 15 and lots of money spent on FA without results. That would be quite alarming.

Not to mention if Brady gets another Super Bowl win if the above happens, I think Kraft ends his relationship with Bill. Goat status will be questioned.

Last edited:
How do you compare Bill to someone like Lombardi? He took over a 1-10 Packer team and then rolled off 5 NFL titles in 7 seasons. Then he won the first 2 SBs. Then you have guys like Paul Brown and George Halas who innovated much of what we see in modern football. Bill Walsh who devised the West Coast offence.

I think it’s fair to say Bill is the best coach of his era and among the best ever, but it’s very hard to compare him to the greats of past eras.

How do you compare Bill to someone like Lombardi? He took over a 1-10 Packer team and then rolled off 5 NFL titles in 7 seasons. Then he won the first 2 SBs. Then you have guys like Paul Brown and George Halas who innovated much of what we see in modern football. Bill Walsh who devised the West Coast offence.

I think it’s fair to say Bill is the best coach of his era and among the best ever, but it’s very hard to compare him to the greats of past eras.

Exactly how I feel.

It’s one thing to say Bill is the greatest coach of all-time if your criteria is bottom line winning and results. I believe six Super Bowls over this timeframe, with 32 teams, trumps a dynasty from pre-expansion. Salary cap, competitive nature of sports, multi-round elimination. Bill is #1, though Halas is right there with his overall work.

When it comes to who was most innovative, or the best tactician, or who did the most with less, etc., those questions are a lot more complex, and saying “Bill is #1!” is some mix of pom pom waving and ignorance. It’s fine to praise him for innovation, but to add “of all-time” is just an exclamation point posing as actual analysis.

Reactions: sb1

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back