PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick signed to long term contract

It seems that such a contract would give the team compensation if 2023 is Belichick's last year with the patriots.

Bob needs to find an outlet to release his pent up stress because clearly he can’t handle this. Any ideas?
Hmmm... I'm sensing a hidden meaning in this particular statement... Something is tugging at my memory, but I can't quite seem to get a grasp on it.. oh well, it will come to mind eventually

Maybe he just needs a two week vacation in Florida as a "stress" reducer...

It seems that such a contract would give the team compensation if 2023 is Belichick's last year with the patriots.
Huh?

He didn’t suck when the pats were 15th in yards, 6th in points & 10th in 3rd down completion pct. his rookie year. I’m sure having a bottom 5 OL and the worst WR duo in the NFL has nothing to do with his regression though.
That was a long time ago. In the NFL if you don’t get better you get worse because every one else is improving.

How much should a team trade for a coach that hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years, has built one of the ****tiest rosters in the league, has seemingly lost his ability to get his players to play disciplined football, and is going to be highly resistant to give up his GM duties?

Kradt will get mediocre offers for Bill and consider it an insult and be stuck with him because he won't want to pay Bill to go take a hike
You're almost certainly right. I am snatching a pretty straws and shiny baubles floating n the air.

Fun stuff. Best part is I'll have to listen to people who know absolutely nothing about football and have been wrong every step of the way explain why the results aren't his fault
Yes, you're a football genius. That's it!

He didn’t suck when the pats were 15th in yards, 6th in points & 10th in 3rd down completion pct. his rookie year. I’m sure having a bottom 5 OL and the worst WR duo in the NFL has nothing to do with his regression though. I’m no mac fan either.
He actually did!

You're looking at stats. That's fools gold. We played bottom feeder teams, beat teams without QBs, and the latter half of the season he regressed mightily. I too preferred the Mac who didn't throw interceptions and fumble the ball away. I was a Mac backer even coming into this year! But it's clear he's really bad, and guess what? When you have a horribler QB, at the most important position in team sports, you have a bad team.

I'm actually going to be the voice of reason here, even though I have every reason not to be.

For those who are saying, "Any other coach would've been fired..." : this isn't any other coach. He's the greatest coach in NFL history. The whole league knows that including the fans outside of Boston talk radio.

Secondly, those thinking Mayo was duped aren't taking into account that this contract includes provisions for the transition. Why did Mayo stay? Not because he thought Belichick was going to be fired and that he was going to take over!! But because there are plans for a transition.

Third, every single coach in the NFL is extended beyond his last year. Eating huge coaching contracts is how it's done. This is business as usual. If Kraft wants to fire Belichick, he can still do it. It would be a dumb decision, but there's nothing stopping him.

Fourth, the reason you extend coaches in their last year is because you want your players to know who will be responsible for their careers moving forward, not to mention FAs.
Ehhh:

1) He WAS the greatest coach in history. He has never been remotely close to being the best GM. He blows at both this year.

2) I don't care whether someone else would have fired some other coach for some other reason, so I don't see the point of this aspect of the discussion. When I look that this GM, probably as of late this HC, I see a guy who has to go.

3) Speculation re Mayo's contract and the nimbus of tacit agreement which no doubt surrounds it is a bootless activity. It seems they wanted to keep him around as an option, but beyond that, who knows? I myself would hope Mayo would be given no particular advantage over any external candidate for reasons I have given elsewhere.

4) "Business as Usual," in ALL walks of life, covers a wide range of dumb ideas, so I don't really see the force of this argument.

5) I think we need not overextend ourselves in nurturing the tender feelings of players on this roster, given, one hopes, that most of them will soon be heading on down the road. The ones that matter, you can have a private conversation with. (Ended a sentence with a preposition there, eh? Wacky, wacky stuff.) Happens all the time when there is a shake up in any organization..

5) I think you are absolutely right to anticipate all sorts of irrationality in response to this news (if that is what it is) - handwringing, the beating of manly breasts, pissing contests, accusations of phony fandom, and so on, the usual fare, lol - but sometimes reason reveals that a thing actually is a big deal.

It doesn't matter when everything goes wrong. As I remember well Kliff Kingsbury from Cardinals signed 6 year contract and was released thereon.

Great I get to watch Bill not get receivers, have a ****ty line, and screw up another QB. Fun stuff. Best part is I'll have to listen to people who know absolutely nothing about football and have been wrong every step of the way explain why the results aren't his fault
Did you happen to get to watch 6 SB Championships?
The irony is you claim people who support the best to ever do the job are the ones who are wrong and know nothing about football and the fellowship of the miserable have been right all along. Those pesky championships and dynasty make your argument look stupid.

This leaked to stop people from having the idea that Bill is going anywhere.

They NEVER leak **** about his contract.

I don't want him gone but I do want someone else picking the players and if they don't compromise that part of the equation then we're ****ed.

Bill came out of last seasons misery and proceeded to have the off-season he had this year. He doesn't get it. Maybe he never did.

I think Robert needs to step aside also .

He needed to do the year too soon thing(which really wasn't a year too soon as it turns out) and instead he extends BB

We just have to beat the Bills to cool things down.

Name someone who has done a better job. We can sit here all day and criticize any decision maker in the NFL, hell in almost any line of work.
The idea that you think the bar is no mistakes is ludicrous.
Tell me who has been better.

Since Brady left? You can name what about a dozen teams or more who have done better. San Fran clearly does a better job even with the Lance debacle. Philly has done it better. Miami has done it better. And those are the teams without a top QB.

This leaked to stop people from having the idea that Bill is going anywhere.

They NEVER leak **** about his contract.

I don't want him gone but I do want someone else picking the players and if they don't compromise that part of the equation then we're ****ed.

Bill came out of last seasons misery and proceeded to have the off-season he had this year. He doesn't get it. Maybe he never did.
I take your point, but IF anything was leaked, it seems to be only that there IS a contract, nothing about its terms. That doesn't seem too out of the box to me, but you are certainly right that there is likely SOME reason for its having been released at this time.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back