PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on White

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thought this article by Florio about Belichick's comments about White was interesting. Bill talked about how White asked questions like a coach would ask. Led to an interesting discussion about what that meant. Florio's last paragraph seemed especially insightful:
That’s one of the reasons why the Patriots have been so good for so long. They can spot players who will behave that way, and they collect them. They nurture them. And they make them into, essentially, a collection of coaches on the field.

Belichick praises James White for his coach-like questions

When can we pay the man? Whose contract has to be unloaded for us to be able to pay him what he deserves?
D. Allen?

Thought this article by Florio about Belichick's comments about White was interesting. Bill talked about how White asked questions like a coach would ask. Led to an interesting discussion about what that meant. Florio's last paragraph seemed especially insightful:

Well that doesn't always translate as in the case of Jordan Richards.:D BB spoke very highly of Richards intelligent person but horrible player. That said James White is a super player and person. :cool:

Well that doesn't always translate as in the case of Jordan Richards.:D BB spoke very highly of Richards intelligent person but horrible player. That said James White is a super player and person. :cool:
I think there is an unspoken requirement for some degree of athleticism. As Wheelman offered to demonstrate. :)

When can we pay the man? Whose contract has to be unloaded for us to be able to pay him what he deserves?
D. Allen?

They've been siphoning off money from JE11 for years to pay him.

Quote: "Always has, but as he’s gained more experience he just knows more and is able to continue to push ahead, like Tom [Brady] has at his position or Devin [McCourty] has at his position or Patrick [Chung] at his position. [Dont’a] Hightower, guys like that."

Add in Jules, Gronk and Ghost and that's pretty much the entire team that sticks around from year to year.

Brendan Daly, during his portion of this week's conference call, said basically the same things about Lawrence Guy that BB said about White and the others he mentioned.

So, I think it's a bit more than these players just being "coaches on the field". I think it speaks to how much input certain trusted, veteran players have in play design and development. It also demonstrates how the team functions much more as a collaborative effort rather than being exclusively top-down driven.

Pumpernickel on rye

Brendan Daly, during his portion of this week's conference call, said basically the same things about Lawrence Guy that BB said about White and the others he mentioned.

So, I think it's a bit more than these players just being "coaches on the field". I think it speaks to how much input certain trusted, veteran players have in play design and development. It also demonstrates how the team functions much more as a collaborative effort rather than being exclusively top-down driven.

There's a book I'm reading that heavily promotes the idea of leadership at every level of an organization, so I have to say this is a really meaningful thing that the Pats do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes