PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick "Cam Newton is our quarterback"

Belichick isn't the type to play favorites. If Mac Jones somehow beats out Cam in training camp, he will be QB1.
I can see Mac Jones beating one of the worst QB in the league last year pretty easily. I think Jones will have a better understanding of the offense at the start of TC than Cam after one all year in the system.

At worst Mac Jones will be the starter by mid season but I expect him to win the starting job in TC. I think the difference between the two will be striking. One is gonna throw the football in rythme, on time and accurately vs one that will be consistently late in his decision making with a lower accuracy

"Cam Newton is our QB".......
Until he throws (insert number here), 8yd passes into the ground like he was throwing an 80 yards bomb.
Fixed it for you ;)

Yeah, I don't think Bill is the kind of guy who thinks you need to throw a rookie out there right away. If Cam balls out, maybe Mac benefits from a year on the bench working with McDaniels, learning the offense, working on his conditioning etc.

I mean alex smith started while Mahomes sat on the bench.

BUT if Cam newton looks like last year then I think you will see Mac Jones put in. Given he has a good camp.
Even if Cam balls out if it’s close between the two, you have to go with the rookie in my opinion. Why would sit a rookie for the all year if he is really close to you 10 year vet and former MVP. It would be time lost for me

Mac Jones is clearly the future, if Cam has a good season he can be the present and allow Jones more development time. Stidham can get the **** out of New England
the second Mac Jones throws a ball off a receiver's hands and it gets returned for 6 youll be screaming for him to be replaced too

Now, alot depends on how Cam Newton looks in training camp and OTAs. If he's more 2018 cam newton than he's no doubt the QB.
2018 Newton was not a top 10 QB. He was *maybe* 15th at best. That's not terrible, but I disagree it makes anyone a "no doubt" starter.

As to be expected. Nothing’s going to be handed to him. BB deliberately said Stidham’s name first before Mac’s when referring to the backups in his press conference. Mac is QB3 at this moment, and his challenge will be to convince BB to move him up the depth chart, whether it’s as Cam’s direct backup over Stidham, or as the starter over Cam.

Jones shouldn't have a realistic shot of winning the starter job out of camp. There is just too much for him to catch up on making the jump from CFB into the NFL.

But Cam can easily lose that job if he doesn't show any jump over last year and starts melting down.

I think we are set up nicely either way with all the pieces that were added in FA. Cam should have a higher ceiling this year if he can be more consistent and comfortable with the offense.

2018 Newton was not a top 10 QB. He was *maybe* 15th at best. That's not terrible, but I disagree it makes anyone a "no doubt" starter.

Yeah but he was 100 times better than last year. If Cam Newton plays decent and is winning games I doubt Bill pulls him for the rookie. Now if cam struggles like last year and looks physically done bill will have no qualms about moving to the rookie.

But generally, I think Bill wants to win games and make the playoffs this year. Whomever gives him that best chance he will play. Right now, due to his NFL experience and extra year in the system Cam Newton is that guy.

The issue with Cam is our system is not a fit for him. And now we are all in the system given we drafted Jones. If anything, this offense is going to be more of the Brady system than it was last year. This should help Jones win the job sooner.

What do you expect him to say? Sham Newton is not the future of this team.

In an ideal world, Cam will be much improved, and that will leave Jones to spend his rookie season building up his arm strength, learning the NFL, and mastering the playbook.

And maybe Bill could even steer him over to TB12.

are u like, mad or something we picked up jones? why do you seem less than thrilled?
He will be a BUST

Just watch. BB cant pick a 1st round skill player to save his axx on the offensive side of the ball. Maroney, Harry, Sony is not better than Harris. Graham never lived up to his billing other than being a great blocker.

I don’t like first round rookie QBs sitting anymore unless it’s a unique circumstance like the Chiefs in 2017 or Trey Lance who is perhaps the rawest QB ever drafted in the first round.

I don’t like first round rookie QBs sitting anymore unless it’s a unique circumstance like the Chiefs in 2017 or Trey Lance who is perhaps the rawest QB ever drafted in the first round.

What an odd notion

But im not delusional.
Why is it delusion to hope that this offense, with its current players and coaches, can succeed with a QB whose biggest positives are accuracy and brains?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back