PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beginning To Understand How Goodell Issued Defaltegate Ruling

Roger Goodell has an agenda and marching orders. Nothing else comes into play.

One of the annoying things with the Colts tank is that they had first dibs on the waiver wire, with cap space to spare, and yet they never claimed anybody. That made it obvious. Now Miami is in that situation, so let's see if they claim anybody, or twiddle their thumbs.

Krafty Bob in large part responsible for Goodell being Commissioner because Goody helped the team stay in Massachussetts. Instead of looking at his intellect or qualifications, he wanted to return the favor...

What about the suck for luck year? I think that was tanking.

For other teams that are historically bad but go 0-16 ten straight years. It’s just that always sucked

Yeah, and honestly, they were not bashful about it.

Krafty Bob in large part responsible for Goodell being Commissioner because Goody helped the team stay in Massachussetts. Instead of looking at his intellect or qualifications, he wanted to return the favor...
The Commissioner isn't the problem.

I've been saying this for years. The commissioner is a mouthpiece of the Board of Governors. I doubt Roger Goodell has a single original thought in his head, and that's just how the owners like it.

No matter who wound up replacing this Commissioner, he would wind up doing much the same. Because the commissioner dances to the BOG's tune. Which makes the idea of firing Goodell a terrible hill to die on that would solve absolutely nothing whatsoever.

We got railroaded with Deflategate because the Patriots are unpopular among the BOG right now because their success defies the parity the BOG is trying to create.

None of this was originally Goodell's idea, I guarantee that. Goodell was just the guy in front of the microphone who said what he was told to say and did what he was told to do. If you want to blame someone for Deflategate, you're probably going to be looking at Irsay and some coalition of other owners he managed to put together that Kraft couldn't counter.

I've been saying this for years. The commissioner is a mouthpiece of the Board of Governors. I doubt Roger Goodell has a single original thought in his head, and that's just how the owners like it.

No matter who wound up replacing this Commissioner, he would wind up doing much the same. Because the commissioner dances to the BOG's tune. Which makes the idea of firing Goodell a terrible hill to die on that would solve absolutely nothing whatsoever.

We got railroaded with Deflategate because the Patriots are unpopular among the BOG right now because their success defies the parity the BOG is trying to create.

None of this was originally Goodell's idea, I guarantee that. Goodell was just the guy in front of the microphone who said what he was told to say and did what he was told to do. If you want to blame someone for Deflategate, you're probably going to be looking at Irsay and some coalition of other owners he managed to put together that Kraft couldn't counter.
Then the commissioner job is a hollow title much like the King or Queen of England is.

I would agree that past commissioners like Taglibue and Rozelle had the backbone to run this league and not be dictated by the owners. I do agree deflategate was manufactured because 31 other owners wanted the Pats to be punished.

Is he wrong?

Here's the list of #1 overall picks since 2001 (i.e. the start of the dynasty):

Michael Vick, David Carr, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Mario Williams, JaMarcus Russell, Jake Long, Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Eric Fisher, Jadeveon Clowney, Jameis Winston, Jared Goff, Myles Garrett, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray

How many of those guys were worth throwing away your season for?

Luck I guess
Maybe Vick if he hadn't gotten into trouble
Long and Garrett were / have been excellent at their positions but not sure I'd go 0-16 intentionally to try to get them.
Jury is out on Murray
Everyone else on there is either super average or flat out bad.

Sure by starting in the Brady era I cut out Pink Head and Orlando Pace, and sure, maybe Tua will be better than any of those guys, but do you really think so?

It's just too hard to identify who's going to save your franchise. In retrospect it may very well have been worth tanking for Pat Mahomes, but he went 10th!

Great post. Accumulating a lot of draft picks through trades/trade downs is a great way to turn around a miserable team. The idea that the #1 overall pick is going to be a savior is asanine.

Is he wrong?

Yes

The fact that some teams will screw up the top pick does not change the fact that having that pick gives a team its choice of all available players. Neither does the fact that some years don't have great players at the top.

Last edited:
Then the commissioner job is a hollow title much like the King or Queen of England is.
Congratualations! You get it!

The problem here is that the BOG hires the commissioner. While the Commissioner can defy the BOG, the BOG is never going to hire a Commissioner that would actually do it.

...So what's the evidence? The Dolphins sold off good players but, it's not like they're going into games actively trying to lose. Players don't go into games trying to lose, that would only cost them money and plus they may not even be a part of the future.

Flores wouldn't have put Fitzpatrick into the game if he was trying to lose, he'd have stuck with a struggling Rosen.
they went for 2 instead of tying at the end. That 2 attempt looked like bull chite to me

I would agree that past commissioners like Taglibue and Rozelle had the backbone to run this league and not be dictated by the owners. I do agree deflategate was manufactured because 31 other owners wanted the Pats to be punished.
Tagiablue and Rozelle have cred mostly because they stepped on Al Davis. But Al Davis was not friends with most of the rest of the BOG and went out of his way to embarrass the NFL governing body. Al Davis was easy.

they went for 2 instead of tying at the end. That 2 attempt looked like bull chite to me

Haha yeah that is the fatal flaw in my theory that "they are still trying to win on the field".

Haha yeah that is the fatal flaw in my theory that "they are still trying to win on the field".
well they could have made it then they would have won, who knows

That simply is not true. The Patriots are still in Massachusetts because Kraft optioned the land around the stadium then bought it and the iron clad lease that came with it out of bankruptcy court and leveraged them into the purchase of the team.

I understand the board of governors argument but I just like hating goodell

I gave everybody a confused face. Sorry I could not control myself:D

Flores is not intentionally throwing games. They just sold off the roster and do not have the talent to win any. Is that tanking? I dunno.

It's close but doesn't stoop to the level of Indy. They had Suck For Luck and also tanked a game to help get the Jete into the playoffs instead of the Steelers, who had Indy's number at the time. I'm not sure on the year.

What makes this whole thing so interesting is how Goody wants to throw dirt at the Dolphins' even though he's the man responsible for creating parity. If he had issues with them he should have done something when they were dumping players.

Goody leads like he's still with the Jete.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back