PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Grier is next in line if Mac fails this week

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

1697127738239.png

Reading between the lines this means Mac's seat is red hot right now. It probably should be.

If Mac is the answer he will not let Grier Zappe or anyone else take his job.

Makes sense. It has been about 3 weeks since Grier was signed to the roster, he should have an OK grasp of the playbook by this point. Grier is average at best throwing the ball, but has decent mobility. If Mac continues to fail, or even just fails to look better than below-average, I could see the team pivoting to Grier and implementing a scheme that highlights his movement and propensity to scramble a bit more - which could then also be a fit for Cunningham later in the season, should they wish to start giving him a look with more QB reps as the weeks go on.

I doubt any of the above gets them too many wins though. Maybe against lesser teams. Not gonna beat Buffalo, Miami or KC with that scheme.

It is clear that no matter what the Patriots think of Mac Jones, they clearly don't think Zappe can play. They have been trying to replace him since they cut him and sent him to the practice squad.

It is clear that no matter what the Patriots think of Mac Jones, they clearly don't think Zappe can play. They have been trying to replace him since they cut him and sent him to the practice squad.
I would judge Zapper after another full game and not after one of Mac's disastrous mop-ups.

View attachment 53596

Reading between the lines this means Mac's seat is red hot right now. It probably should be.

I love comments like this. Like everything that happens is just a matter of will. “If he’s the man…that won’t happen”.
Jones is messed up in the head right now. I don’t mean mentally, I mean decision making, clarity of what he’s doing on the field, and decisiveness.
If he is capable of correcting those issues, which he ought to be but who knows, it’s a matter of correcting them, not that if he doesn’t correct them this week, he simply lack the will and fortitude to do so.
I swear fans treat players like they aren’t human and shouldn’t have human issues, faults and deficiencies to work on.
How many 26 year olds do you know who just refuse to not be perfect and will their way to owning the world?

It’s questionable whether he can overcome this in time to help the patriots or maybe ever, but it’s not a lack of effort, drive or will, it’s a bad thought process that has seeped in and you don’t just refuse to let it, you need to be recoached and gain perspective

I would judge Zapper after another full game and not after one of Mac's disastrous mop-ups.
Why waste a full game, it’s already clear

I think we will probably know the answer to whether this is correct based on QB assignment. In weeks past it has been Mac and Zappe active, and Grier designated as the emergency QB3 for the "free" game day roster spot. If they think Grier is now QB2, it'll be Zappe as the emergency QB3 designee instead, or alternatively all three will be active.

View attachment 53596

Mac is not the answer. It’s obviously clear.

I’m fine with Grier. I think he should have been starting this week already.

I love comments like this. Like everything that happens is just a matter of will. “If he’s the man…that won’t happen”.
Mac wasn't drafted as a project with flaws to fix, he was drafted as the most polished QB and one that would be a great fit here from day 1. So I don't think expecting him to lock down his job now that he's on the hot seat should be too much to ask. IMO

Why waste a full game, it’s already clear
Really is it?? From a sample size Zappe have above average pocket presence Mac have None! Zappe over throws WR's Mac throws them to the other team's CB to be exact. Yeah it's really clear cut like you say.:rolleyes:

I’d be tempted to play Grier as soon as he has a handle on things. The last two weeks have been very embarrassing and I can’t really imagine Grier being ‘worse than zero’. If they play Grier and lose 40-0 how much different is that from vs DAL / vs NO ?

Really is it?? From a sample size Zappe have above average pocket presence Mac have None! Zappe over throws WR's Mac throws them to the other team's CB to be exact. Yeah it's really clear cut like you say.:rolleyes:
Zappe does not have above average pocket presence. That part of his game was awful in the preseason.

Hopefully they’re open to letting one of the others actually start a game if these struggles continue. Not that I expect an improvement, but you hafta do something. You gotta wonder how much of the overall team struggles have to do with a lack of faith in the qb (and/or coach while we’re at it). The talent obviously is an issue, but we had the same mid level talent in 21 and 22 and those teams managed to perform most likely well better than this team. And in 2020 there was even less talent but they managed to claw to 7-9.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back