PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB should be aggressive for once in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There are 4 major QBs in this draft and I know our scout team will vet them. You have Lawrence, Wilson, fields and Lance. We need to make a move like Kansas City did in 2017 and trade up from 15. Lawrence is a pipe dream, urban meyer literally took that coaching job to coach Trevor Lawrence. It would be nice to trade up for Zach Wilson or Justin fields. The jets will take one of these QBs and we should consider making a run at one of them.

Bill doesn’t usually like to be this aggressive but for the most part, during the past 20+ years, the QB situation has never seriously been in question because we had Brady and Bledsoe before him. Filling this position should be number 1 if we want to be contenders.

To fortify the Pats QB sneak offense ?
You know bb, he mostly goes dline or oline in the first if he doesn't trade down into the 2nd to grab a DB.

I made a mock that is the complete opposite...View attachment 30578

Looks like a typical BB draft. I don’t think he’s ever taken a QB in the first round. Even Brady was 6th round but that was a once in a generation pick. The last QB we took in the first was Bledsoe but I think we might have to go outside of the box here

Looks like a typical BB draft. I don’t think he’s ever taken a QB in the first round. Even Brady was 6th round but that was a once in a generation pick. The last QB we took in the first was Bledsoe but I think we might have to go outside of the box here
I really think BB tries to get Jimmy G back. I really do. Then I see this article...

BB will get a QB before free agency hits. We need offensive weapons and they won't sign if they don't know who's throwing to them.

I really think BB tries to get Jimmy G back. I really do. Then I see this article...

BB will get a QB before free agency hits. We need offensive weapons and they won't sign if they don't know who's throwing to them.
I think Bill’s mentality is that he doesn’t want to have a player picked high overall who sucks 3 years down the line. Andy Reid took a gamble on Mahomes in 2017 and it paid off, no one knew how good he would be. The bears on the other hand traded up to get Trubisky who, let’s face it does suck. He was ranked above Mahomes in the 2017 qb prospect rankings.

I am with @KDPPatsfan85 ....gonna be a trade down. I absolutely love trading down twice in round 1...and loading up with mid-round picks.

Short of Trevor Lawrence, I am not sold on any QB in the draft...although I'd love Zach Wilson....

Just too damn risky to "go all in" on one of Wilson, Fields, or Lance, IMO.

I am with @KDPPatsfan85 ....gonna be a trade down. I absolutely love trading down twice in round 1...and loading up with mid-round picks.

Short of Trevor Lawrence, I am not sold on any QB in the draft...although I'd love Zach Wilson....

So how do we get our next franchise QB? They just won’t magically appear on the roster.

I agree with this, but I wouldn’t trade up for Fields. Lawrence is out of reach, but if they really like Wilson or Lance they should pull the trigger. They are really good at scouting pro personnel so I could see packaging picks to go up inside #10 for a QB, and then filling out the roster in free agency.

As much as we need a qb, we need an elite defensive linemen possibly more. We lack power etc. Guy is our best dt and he is average at best. If you really think about our quality lines of the past, guys like Guy and Wise would be on the bench. They are below guys like Jarvis Green and Mike Wright who were backups themselves. Fix this.

Or maybe we go ot. Things went downhill when Wynn was out of the lineup. I don't want to reach for a qb just because there is a need. Reaching for a scrub qb marries us to multiple crap seasons instead of a few.

Imo priority should be qb, dt, te, lb, and lastly ot. I hate that we may need to draft a tight end but if we see a legit 1st round talent then go for it. Our rookie tight ends showed absolutely nothing for me to not want to look at addressing this position.

So how do we get our next franchise QB? They just won’t magically appear on the roster.

If there were ever a year for a franchise QB to magically appear on our roster.....it would be 2021. The dominoes will start falling soon.....and even moreso once the TV deals are signed and everyone knows the 2021 cap.

There are 4 major QBs in this draft and I know our scout team will vet them. You have Lawrence, Wilson, fields and Lance. We need to make a move like Kansas City did in 2017 and trade up from 15. Lawrence is a pipe dream, urban meyer literally took that coaching job to coach Trevor Lawrence. It would be nice to trade up for Zach Wilson or Justin fields. The jets will take one of these QBs and we should consider making a run at one of them.

Bill doesn’t usually like to be this aggressive but for the most part, during the past 20+ years, the QB situation has never seriously been in question because we had Brady and Bledsoe before him. Filling this position should be number 1 if we want to be contenders.
Can you really see BB going all in on one unproven player in the draft? I think Mayo was the last time he did that. Long time gone and Mayo was the exception in large part because he had a very high football IQ.

If he picks a QB, I think he’s picking Mac Jones at 15 or trading down and selecting Jones later in the round.

Lance seems like a huge risk, I am with you. Wilson seems a bit safer, but far from a lock. Justin Fields, I'd be ok with him, but he won't be there at 15 so that doesn't matter. I am still in on Mac Jones, but I doubt Bill will take him so high. I think the best bet is that they do exactly what you say and trade down, a draft a bunch of 2-3-4 guys and know that they will hit on at least 1 of them. Bill is due for a really good, hit on a bunch of guys draft.

Last edited:
If the Jets take either Fields or Wilson and the Dolphins have offers from teams trying to get the other, then there's no way in hell they're trading that pick to the Patriots.

it worked out pretty well the year they moved up twice to grab Chandler Jones and Hightower. I guess its all a matter of who is on the board and how they value them, I just pray to the football gods we don't blow any of our topic picks this year

it worked out pretty well the year they moved up twice to grab Chandler Jones and Hightower. I guess its all a matter of who is on the board and how they value them, I just pray to the football gods we don't blow any of our topic picks this year
This. You get aggressive when the value is good, not just because you’re old and trying to win now. I don’t have much of a pulse on the quality of this draft class but it doesn’t sound amazing and we have even less info than usual due to Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots