PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: Our passing game isn't as efficient as it needs to be

Uhhhh...yeah BB .....it’s not that efficient because your guy Newton keeps throwing INT, having multiple balls batted down at LOS, has thrown many balls per game at WR feet/in dirt, and has not been able to make decisions fast enough to make plays happen....and....Cam’s throwing mechanics are probably some of worst (at this stage of career) of any starting QB for quite some time....so yes BB....it’s not efficient!!!

I really don't know what they do about the offense. We aren't one receiver short. We need a QB that has something left, a solid WR, a TE that can do something at all. I also don't expect the running game to be as good next year, but I think it can be top 10.

We need all the cap we have, there are a lot of holes. Defense will have some questions next year too.

Uhhhh...yeah BB .....it’s not that efficient because your guy Newton keeps throwing INT, having multiple balls batted down at LOS, has thrown many balls per game at WR feet/in dirt, and has not been able to make decisions fast enough to make plays happen....and....Cam’s throwing mechanics are probably some of worst (at this stage of career) of any starting QB for quite some time....so yes BB....it’s not efficient!!!

You're sure it's not BB trying to support McDaniels and it being Joshy's choice? Because I remember a new coach in Denver fawning over Tim Tebow in Rd 1.

And then when McDaniels came back here, magically, somehow Tebow was signed to back up Brady, guy who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on a his best day, which was only buried by the Hernandez drama that summer.

I realize it's cool to blame Belichick for everything, and I disagree with the Newton signing as well, as it's proven to be a failure, but I also understand why a boss would want to support an underling from time to time, too.

It's just that this particular underling is not one to take accountability for some abysmal play-calling even in SB 42 or at other times when Brady was still here. Not a good combo.

What concerns me is that they promised Joshy the head coaching gig when BB decides to step down, because he's not head coach material.

I am convinced that McDaniels wants to be known as an OC that "fixed" Newton and made him into a good passing QB. What's sad is, he's protected pretty well, has the run game, and has a D and STs that have mostly been on the plus side all year keeping games close for him to use playaction and use more Pony packages, which, the latter mysteriously are not used nearly enough with the talent in the backfield.

I really don't know what they do about the offense. We aren't one receiver short. We need a QB that has something left, a solid WR, a TE that can do something at all. I also don't expect the running game to be as good next year, but I think it can be top 10.

We need all the cap we have, there are a lot of holes. Defense will have some questions next year too.

No, we don't. We need a DE opposite Guy, though. We need an impact MLB since Hightower is likely done, another TE prospect and/or FA signing, and a #1 WR. That's not really a lot. The big thing is the QB, if that's what you mean. Important needs, sure. A lot? Nope.

We probably have the best STs in modern history with Bailey (outplayed Hekker, the other night), Folk an automatic, an explosive punt returner, so we just need a kick returner now. His punting is a work of art as is the double whammy duo of Slater/Bethel as gunners.

This is how bad the QB play has been. Even with exquisite STs and the #1 D last year or a pretty good D this year leading the league in takeaways, somehow it's always doom and gloom and darkness is right around the corner, when it's most likely not due to BB the GM and Coach.

That's not a "lot" of holes. We have very specific needs, actually, which bodes well for a quick righting of the ship, as opposed to a 3 year build. This team is a lot better than its record due to the talent already here.

What we do need to do is make decisions on Andrews's contract, James White (FA. does this mean BB is walking or waiting?), extend Guy immediately, and give JC Jackson the contract he deserves. Thuney may or may not be gone, since there is a dropping cap, that could help NE's cause in getting him signed long term as well.

Most of our needs are in-house already. The QB is obviously the big need.

I am actually curious why BB hasn't already extended Guy and White, to be honest. Seems like total no brainers, as they're not going to see a lot of FA action due to the dropping cap. As veterans, seems like each can come back on 3 year, fair deals. Andrews is the other concern, as good as he is. A bit of a headscratcher, as he usually is ahead of the contract schedule, to lock the player down. I realize Andrews had blood clots, so maybe they wanted to see there.

Very unlike BB to not have contracts for guys who have outplayed their deals all at once like this. If those guys do leave, then yes, we have a lot of holes to fill. But, for the moment, I disagree.

Always amazed how Pats fans don't get how good some of their own talent is. I guess it's the national narrative to mock Belichick the GM from behind a keyboard, as he coaches up another steal like JC Jackson, Byron Cowart or a Jakobi Meyers. Maybe it's JJ Taylor and Myles Bryant who are next.

You're sure it's not BB trying to support McDaniels and it being Joshy's choice? Because I remember a new coach in Denver fawning over Tim Tebow in Rd 1.

And then when McDaniels came back here, magically, somehow Tebow was signed to back up Brady, guy who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on a his best day, which was only buried by the Hernandez drama that summer.

I realize it's cool to blame Belichick for everything, and I disagree with the Newton signing as well, as it's proven to be a failure, but I also understand why a boss would want to support an underling from time to time, too.

It's just that this particular underling is not one to take accountability for some abysmal play-calling even in SB 42 or at other times when Brady was still here. Not a good combo.

What concerns me is that they promised Joshy the head coaching gig when BB decides to step down, because he's not head coach material.

I am convinced that McDaniels wants to be known as an OC that "fixed" Newton and made him into a good passing QB. What's sad is, he's protected pretty well, has the run game, and has a D and STs that have mostly been on the plus side all year keeping games close for him to use playaction and use more Pony packages, which, the latter mysteriously are not used nearly enough with the talent in the backfield.
No you are right....they are both at fault. I personally dislike McD as OC or anything here....and BB is bound and determined that he was the only one out of all coaches on 32 teams that could find a way to bring Newton back to elite status....everyone else whiffed....but BB is GOING TO PROVE he was right damm it!!!! I’m not trying to blame BB for everything...that’s not fair....he had bunch of opt outs on D this year....but he doesn’t do well in draft ESPECIALLY with WR and TE overall....

No you are right....they are both at fault. I personally dislike McD as OC or anything here....and BB is bound and determined that he was the only one out of all coaches on 32 teams that could find a way to bring Newton back to elite status....everyone else whiffed....but BB is GOING TO PROVE he was right damm it!!!! I’m not trying to blame BB for everything...that’s not fair....he had bunch of opt outs on D this year....but he doesn’t do well in draft ESPECIALLY with WR and TE overall....
I thought Graham was helpful winning us SBS with his blocking. Watson was a tease, but he had a good career. Gronk is Gronk and no one knew the extent of Hernandez's trauma and eventual spiral. I think that WR and TE are hard in NE. The playbook is deep, it's weird, not common, and that's why BB signs veteran WRs instead of drafting them. That graphic they put up during the Rams games was a pathetic cheap shot. 90% of the names were mid or late rd developmental style picks.

Very few times do I disagree with BB, but when I do, I sometimes am right in the end. He loves McDoofus. I just don't get it. He's not bad, he's just not consistently good at what he does. When Brady runs your offense, gameplans, etc, I mean, this is how Adam Gase got notoriety or Jim Caldwell, or even Tony Dungy himself. Manning ran the Colts and Broncos offenses, it doesn't mean those coaches were great. They weren't.

I am also half wondering if the other tie in with Newton is knowing it's a lame duck year, but let's also accomplish a tanking of sorts without it looking like a tanking. It would sort of explain how ridiculous it's been to see an obvious change at halftime to Stidham, with a chance to maybe win the game in doing, so but he waits to long and doesn't do it until it's too late. Very un-BB-like.

Lol, I actually was in middle school Nick...close enough though. Ha...still the best draft pick ever my friend and you know it.

middle School in 2000? Wow you’re getting old

I’m

On what basis do you believe Harry and Myers are a # 2and 3 receiver?
Improvement. The eyeball test. Go look at Deion Branch's rookie year compared to Meyers's. And, Brady wasn't ignoring Branch in 2002. If Meyers hadn't been given the cold shoulder mid year last year, he goes past Branch's rookie year.

See, that's the thing...After 2002, no one said Brady sucked, Branch sucked or Givens sucked. Never happened. NE missed the playoffs, Brady's INT rate spiked, but they all got better.

Meyers catches everything, is sneaky good on the routes and used to be a QB before converting which has to help him read coverages, plus I've watched him live a couple times. He's good, IMO. Would Malcolm Mitchell have been a nice #3 here? I think so. I can see Meyers being that kind of guy. I don't know how that can be denied at this point to be honest. He does all the crafty stuff you'd want. Just because our QB play dipped in 2019 and how bad it is now, doesn't mean the WR talent sucks. It's not great by any stretch, but it's not as terrible as being painted, 2013 was terrible. Byrd is a JAG, but I wouldn't mind him back because he catches the ball, too. He has good speed, but Newton is so bad, you can forget about a deep threat. Newton is too slow to hit that sort of thing anyway.

Harry, lost most of his rookie year, which sucks, but we need to see more of the recent higher balls he's reeling in. At least they are starting to try. I don't love him on screens, but that is part of why the drafted him, and the blocking. He's also tough. He's willing to take the hit over the middle. We just need a QB who can put the ball up accurately and have him come down with it. Yes, I think he can peak into #2 WR quality with a good QB and the experience he is gaining in the system. He's not a number 1 here, though, and that's ok. They just need a #1 kinda guy now, so every player is a reliable option, so we can return to the "no D knows where the ball is going" type of an offense we had in the glory years.

This isn't Pitt or KC where you have an easy offensive system where you know exactly how they run their offense, making it easier for BB to defend foe example. That's why they hit on their WRs. All they care about is athleticism and speed. Tyreek Hill probably can't play a game of checkers, for example and BB easily brackets him every time they play, removing him from the game. Great speed, very good player, they their system is pretty one dimensional. Ours isn't.

So, a WR here takes some time. At least a year.

Don't forget Bailey. Kid has a dynamite leg.

It's not even his leg...Note the way he drops the ball pointed down at an angle. I am not sure I've really ever seen that before. The ball comes down really funny, almost like the leftys do it and how Belichick prefers it.

lol people grasping onto straws with Harry. A BUST

fire our chief WR scout
A bust with god awful QB play in 2019 and 2020 into a pandemic? Sure about that? That doesn't make sense. We needed a QB who wouldn't be snobby towards to Harry and Meyers last year and we need one this year, who, you know, can at least make it seem like he's led a huddle before in his life.

Hilarious stuff here. We literally have the worst QB play in a Pats uni since Tommy Hodson and somehow everyone else magically is a "bust". haha

Does not draft well at TE? Gronk is one of the greatest TE in NFL history and he was drafted by BB. As were Hernandez and Watson. Jury is clearly still out on the 2 rookies but to say BB does not draft well at TE is insane.

A bust with god awful QB play in 2019 and 2020 into a pandemic? Sure about that? That doesn't make sense. We needed a QB who wouldn't be snobby towards to Harry and Meyers last year and we need one this year, who, you know, can at least make it seem like he's led a huddle before in his life.

Hilarious stuff here. We literally have the worst QB play in a Pats uni since Tommy Hodson and somehow everyone else magically is a "bust". haha

Harry had TWO league MVPs throwing him the ball and you claim he had “god awful QB Play”.

LOL you must be Harry’s grandmother.

Sony was the college teammate of Nick Chubb, whose a top 3 RB in the nfl. Not only would Chubb have helped us win a championship two years ago, but he would be a star on our offense for the next five years. chubb Does everything better than Sony x10. How our scouts missed while scouting the Georgia backfield is embarrassing. Sony is awful, the only thing still keeping him around is his high draft position. He will be out of the league soon.

the two tight ends have not even flashed potential starting ability. When will they? There were better tight ends on the board where the patriots drafted these guys.

As for Harriet, yes I’ve given up on “she”. (Parcells Glenn reference). In two years, he has displayed nothing worthy Of his first round selection. He is dreadfully slow, can’t separate, and worst of all he isn’t tough at all. He was drafted ahead of 5 potential pro bowlers including two all pro wide receivers metcalf and Brown who May become hall of famers. In an all time historic wide receivers class, we drafted a pumpkin. Brady knew he was garbage last year, stopped wasting his time with him. The red flags were there on his college tape, our scouts once again whiffed.
A big reason why Michel was drafted was because he was great at pass blocking. BB doesn't start rookie RBs with a 25 mil per year QB back there named Brady.

Chubb is a moron who has no interest in pass protection. He probably wasn't even on their draft board. Some guys and their Wonderlic are not going to be on this team's draft board and thank god they're not. Plus, he had knee issues like Sony did. Not to mention, his production in college came against inferior competition.

BB doesn't care about fantasy stats either.

If you don't know what BB and Fears look for in an RB, I can't help you,. On paper, we have the best RB group in the conference. Some red herring argument about Nick Chubb probably isn't the best move, especially since Michel was the postseason 2018 MVP and largely responsible for making Brady's life easier that postseason as Brady's play was slipping badly in 2018. The loss to Pitt was the turning point late in the year, and they started committing more to him, it helped Brady, the offense and the rest is history.

Quite frankly, he and Harris need to be used in Pony sets A LOT MORE then they are, but that's a whole other discussion.

Last edited:

The truth must hurt. Harry isn’t fit to carry DKs jockstrap

Harry had TWO league MVPs throwing him the ball and you claim he had “god awful QB Play”.

LOL you must be Harry’s grandmother.
Did you just try to say Brady played well last year and Newton is playing well this year? You must be Ron Borges.

A big reason why Michel was drafted was because he was great at pass blocking. BB doesn't start rookie RBs with a 25 mil per year QB back there named Brady.

Chubb is a moron who has not interest in pass protection. He probably wasn't even on their draft board. Some guys and their Wonderlic are not going to be on this team's draft board and thank god they're not. Plus, he had knee issues like Sony did. Not to mention, his production in college came against inferior competition.

BB doesn't care about fantasy stats either.

If you don't know what BB and Fears look for in an RB, I can't help you,. On paper, we have the best RB group in the conference. Some red herring argument about Nick Chubb probably isn't the best move, especially since Michel was the postseason 2018 MVP and largely responsible for making Brady's life easier that postseason as Brady's play was slipping badly in 2018. The loss to Pitt was the turning point late in the year, and they started committing more to him, it helped Brady, the offense and the rest is history.

Quite frankly, he and Harris need to be used in Pony sets A LOT MORE then they are, but that's a whole other discussion.

LOL at this homer trying to justify taking Sony over Chubb

The truth must hurt. Harry isn’t fit to carry DKs jockstrap
DK runs like 5 routes. Not a fit. Wonderlic was also really low. Nice player, huge, big target, physical, but read his bio. Not a fit here. If you can't hit 20 on you Wonderlic, you're not going to understand coverages out of the Erhardt/Perkins system. BB doesn't want here unless his name is Randy Moss and he can be had for a 4th rder.

Does not draft well at TE? Gronk is one of the greatest TE in NFL history and he was drafted by BB. As were Hernandez and Watson. Jury is clearly still out on the 2 rookies but to say BB does not draft well at TE is insane.
This is a strange fanbase. It's like people are angry BB built 2 dynasties as the greatest GM ever. They use this odd set of rules pretending ****ball franchises who draft in the top 10 every year, who eventually hit on a guy, is a guy that BB passed on and then crapped on their heads and pissed in their cornflakes while doing it. Very odd behavior.

You want to talk who was better at Georgia?

in 2018, Chubb averaged 3.8 yards after contact. Despite seeing heavier boxes, Chubb consistently showed that he could run through contact. He’s built well and doesn’t shy away from contact. chubb was the bell cow and ran through stacked boxes on first & second down. Michel saw an eight man box only 10% of the time in 2018. In addition, Michel was primarily used on the field in 10 and 11 personnel to spread the defense out.

chubb is an elite athlete, he tested way better than Michel. Chubb made way more sense for a higher draftick than Michel. Chubb is proficient at gap runs, power, and zone. chubb has elite skills at second level of defense. Chubb is a better athlete, runs through contact better, eludes defenders better, fares well against stacked boxes, has stronger ball security, and runs with better instincts. Chubb catches the ball better too. Sony has brick hands, his sample size in college was small.

Harry and Sony supporters love to claim ”they block well” to Cover up the fact both suck at running and catching the ball. You don’t use first round picks on WRs/RBs for blocking folks.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back