PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: Our passing game isn't as efficient as it needs to be

Bill has been coddling Cam call season, why stop now.

The players all like and respect him, say what a great job Cam did as he's leaving to be someones backup, then draft a QB high in the draft.

Bill has been coddling Cam call season, why stop now.

The players all like and respect him, say what a great job Cam did as he's leaving to be someones backup, then draft a QB high in the draft.
"Why stop now?"?

Because there's no upside to mollycoddling a shot quarterback. I couldn't care less whether some somebody "likes him."

Reminds me of when people say, "MY new doctor is so NICE."

So what?

Meyers gets separation.

Not sure on Byrd.

Biggest plus and biggest knock on Harry coming out: will win contested passes, but won't get separation. they got what they paid for. if they overpaid, that's on them. And I still think Harry succeeds in another system.

Based on what? Tell me a wideout we drafted that went on to do better things elsewhere after he struggled here.

BB full version: “Our passing game still’s not as efficient as we need it to be with really everything that’s involved. The protection, route distribution which involves everybody - tight ends, backs, and receivers, timing and ability to execute and create separation in man to man coverage. So we continue to work on all those things but Damiere’s had a solid year for us right from the beginning, and N’Keal’s started to come on here in the last few weeks, and Jakobi’s had a pretty productive year as well primarily inside but he’s also played outside in some of our 2 receivers sets, and has been productive there, and has shown the ability to block and has been involved in some inside blocking plays and crack plays that have helped us in the running game.”

Unless we pay top dollar, I don't know how we attract someone like an Allen Robinson (who's already making $14mil per and will probably require more) with such a gigantic question mark at QB - that'd be a waste. Hopefully Edelman stays if he's actually healthy.

Sidenote: To show how messed up and deceiving the official separation stats are, Robinson got 2.2/2.3yds last and this year while Byrd and N'Keal this year have 2.9 or higher (3.3 for Meyers).

You Dont Say GIF

Wow. Some fans can't even accept a rebuild done properly, even though we have 2 dynasties as evidence in 20 years.

The team needs some infusion at 3-4 DE, MLB and WR/TE. Other than that, the last drafts have them in really nice shape for the youth movement he's been doing now for the last 2-3 drafts. They have a top OL, RBs, some nice looking players on defense, another possible undrafted gem in Myles Bryant, and with time, all these younger players getting experience now, will benefit.

Harry/Meyers are a 2 and 3 WR, Gunner maybe can be groomed to be an Amendola, and so forth. With the cap tumbling in the spring, numerous FAs will be squeezed and BB has money to fill in the gaps strategically, possibly at TE and even WR. They do need a #1 and maybe they do that in the mid part of Rd 1 this year, to build around someone like a Stidham.

But, some of you must watch different games. I see young players making plays every week.

This impatience and immaturity with entitlement happened back in 2009/2010, too, where fans didn't want to see a proper rebuilding happen here. I am glad we have the greatest GM in cap era history, because when that cap drops next year, a lot of teams will get worse, while this team's youth base is already being built.

I have to believe BB knows he's not there yet with the building, so he's not looking to get Stidham hurt or have him develop any bad habits during a pandemic and without a proper offseason, which I get, but Newton is so awful, it makes one wonder why you wouldn't give Stidham the chance to move forward for next year.

Very strange to see Belichick and Josh publicly gush over a horrible QB like this, one who represents the complete anthesis of what BB looks for in a QB. It doesn't quite make sense other than they couldn't see Stidham's offseason work and the progress in time and just put all the time into Newton, except McDaniels is trying to put a square peg into a round hole. It's why Tebow got invited to camp in 2013 when McDaniels came back. He wanted a toy. Well, no thanks. Those toys don't work, as we see with Lamar Jackson already regressing.

Why there isn't Pony packages more so with more Newton designed runs, like earlier in the year, is beyond me. And, the play-calling has been atrocious. What happened to that play-action play to Jakob Johnson vs the Raiders?

LOL that he mentioned separation as also being an issue. Some of the more adamant posters in here saying that it wasn’t are not going to be happy to hear that.
Did McDaniels mention how many times guys are wide open, and because Newton's poor mechanics and disciplines as a crap passer and run based crap QB like he always was, have gotten that "separation" and he missed them, wide open, because of his poor skills?

I also question whether his a vision is bad in his right eye. The odd not seeing a guy bearing down on him as he takes 7 seconds to unload the ball is very strange, but yes, let's pretend it's always "separation". Somehow it's always that or BB is a "bad GM", even though he built 2 dynasties.

I've never seen a QB in this era look so unaware in the pocket, especially one that is supposed to be using his legs as a weapon. This isn't Drew Bledsoe in 2002, looking like a statue unable to move. This a run based QB who is big and athletic, or should be, anyway.

Play-calling and good QB work is creates "separation". Newton can't read a D, so he can't check in and out of the right play to help the offense. How many audibles do you see from him? Almost next to none. If the D gets to know your plays based on personnel, pattern and habit, you aren't getting "separation" as much. This same theory arose in 2018 and then they changed the offense to more of a run based heavy set play-action offense after the putrid Pitt outing where they scored 10 points, and that change helped them win a SB again.

The coaches making the rounds saying "everyone can be better" doesn't mean much. Educated fans who know the sport can see what's going on during the game. There are guys wide open at times and he cheats on his progressions, so by the time the OL gives him his Guinness Book of World Records time to pass on every dropback, it's too late, he missed the spot.

When the 22 tape comes out on Tuesdays, that's when Newton is really cooked because you can see how easy it is for Ds to rope-a-dope him. He just doesn't have the skills because he never needed them in college and they coddled him in Carolina.

A real scout on Newton would also talk about how slow he is through his motion, how he has to rear back to throw it, and how he only really completes passes you or I could make, since the player is WIDE open after 7 seconds he gets to throw. He doesn't have accuracy to throw in the tight windows that qualified, legit QBs have.

No one complains about "separation" on teams with good QBs.

Newton is a band aid. Harry is coming along and improving and Meyers is legit. They just need a #1 and improved TE play with a new QB, obviously and it ain't Newton, but it might be Stidham, regardless of what the BB-hating media tries to spin everyday, for the last 20 years.

Sony helped us win a championship two years ago... the other players have you already given up on after 1 year and in Harry's case 2 years? Just curious.

Sony was the college teammate of Nick Chubb, whose a top 3 RB in the nfl. Not only would Chubb have helped us win a championship two years ago, but he would be a star on our offense for the next five years. chubb Does everything better than Sony x10. How our scouts missed while scouting the Georgia backfield is embarrassing. Sony is awful, the only thing still keeping him around is his high draft position. He will be out of the league soon.

the two tight ends have not even flashed potential starting ability. When will they? There were better tight ends on the board where the patriots drafted these guys.

As for Harriet, yes I’ve given up on “she”. (Parcells Glenn reference). In two years, he has displayed nothing worthy Of his first round selection. He is dreadfully slow, can’t separate, and worst of all he isn’t tough at all. He was drafted ahead of 5 potential pro bowlers including two all pro wide receivers metcalf and Brown who May become hall of famers. In an all time historic wide receivers class, we drafted a pumpkin. Brady knew he was garbage last year, stopped wasting his time with him. The red flags were there on his college tape, our scouts once again whiffed.

I love you Captain, but you have to also give credit where credit is due...how about D. Harris 3rd round, Thuney 3rd round, Mason 4th round, Wino 3rd round, JC Jackson f/a, Matthew Slater 5th round and who could forget the best pick of all time: Tom fricken Brady in the 6th round...
Brady was drafted before you started pre school. let’s reflect on belichicks draft success since 2015. 5 years. As we enter 2021. We are talking about the present & future of the team. Not the past championships. If Thuney is our best draft pick in the past 6 years, our team is in deep trouble

Brady was drafted before you started pre school. let’s reflect on belichicks draft success since 2015. 5 years. As we enter 2021. We are talking about the present & future of the team. Not the past championships. If Thuney is our best draft pick in the past 6 years, our team is in deep trouble
Don't forget Bailey. Kid has a dynamite leg.

2000-1992...

tenor.gif

BB full version: “Our passing game still’s not as efficient as we need it to be with really everything that’s involved. The protection, route distribution which involves everybody - tight ends, backs, and receivers, timing and ability to execute and create separation in man to man coverage. So we continue to work on all those things but Damiere’s had a solid year for us right from the beginning, and N’Keal’s started to come on here in the last few weeks, and Jakobi’s had a pretty productive year as well primarily inside but he’s also played outside in some of our 2 receivers sets, and has been productive there, and has shown the ability to block and has been involved in some inside blocking plays and crack plays that have helped us in the running game.”

Unless we pay top dollar, I don't know how we attract someone like an Allen Robinson (who's already making $14mil per and will probably require more) with such a gigantic question mark at QB - that'd be a waste. Hopefully Edelman stays if he's actually healthy.

Sidenote: To show how messed up and deceiving the official separation stats are, Robinson got 2.2/2.3yds last and this year while Byrd and N'Keal this year have 2.9 or higher (3.3 for Meyers).
Thanks for posting the whole quote! Interesting to see Bill praise Byrd right off the bat, I actually think Byrd can be a pretty decent #3 WR if the two ahead of him are decent. Edelman when healthy can be that #2 guy still, but the #1 doesn't exist so it all kinda falls apart. Jakobi flashes (and has flashed more as the season goes on) but is still raw and needs more experience. He might be #3 quality next year. Harry, at this point, is a bit of a one-trick pony in an offense that doesn't often use that trick. Unclear if he will improve, but he looked slightly better last week and Bill said the same, so we'll see. The fact that there is basically ZERO production from the TEs compounds this issue quite a bit. A #1-quality WR and at least an average TE would really change everything, but you still have to wonder about whether Cam will just bottleneck that potential. IMO he's still not healthy from his injuries last year and new injuries have made it worse. I'm cool with seeing how he does next year, but not for more than $10m, and only if better options aren't readily available or accessible...

Lol, I actually was in middle school Nick...close enough though. Ha...still the best draft pick ever my friend and you know it.

I’m
Wow. Some fans can't even accept a rebuild done properly, even though we have 2 dynasties as evidence in 20 years.

The team needs some infusion at 3-4 DE, MLB and WR/TE. Other than that, the last drafts have them in really nice shape for the youth movement he's been doing now for the last 2-3 drafts. They have a top OL, RBs, some nice looking players on defense, another possible undrafted gem in Myles Bryant, and with time, all these younger players getting experience now, will benefit.

Harry/Meyers are a 2 and 3 WR, Gunner maybe can be groomed to be an Amendola, and so forth. With the cap tumbling in the spring, numerous FAs will be squeezed and BB has money to fill in the gaps strategically, possibly at TE and even WR. They do need a #1 and maybe they do that in the mid part of Rd 1 this year, to build around someone like a Stidham.

But, some of you must watch different games. I see young players making plays every week.

This impatience and immaturity with entitlement happened back in 2009/2010, too, where fans didn't want to see a proper rebuilding happen here. I am glad we have the greatest GM in cap era history, because when that cap drops next year, a lot of teams will get worse, while this team's youth base is already being built.

I have to believe BB knows he's not there yet with the building, so he's not looking to get Stidham hurt or have him develop any bad habits during a pandemic and without a proper offseason, which I get, but Newton is so awful, it makes one wonder why you wouldn't give Stidham the chance to move forward for next year.

Very strange to see Belichick and Josh publicly gush over a horrible QB like this, one who represents the complete anthesis of what BB looks for in a QB. It doesn't quite make sense other than they couldn't see Stidham's offseason work and the progress in time and just put all the time into Newton, except McDaniels is trying to put a square peg into a round hole. It's why Tebow got invited to camp in 2013 when McDaniels came back. He wanted a toy. Well, no thanks. Those toys don't work, as we see with Lamar Jackson already regressing.

Why there isn't Pony packages more so with more Newton designed runs, like earlier in the year, is beyond me. And, the play-calling has been atrocious. What happened to that play-action play to Jakob Johnson vs the Raiders?
On what basis do you believe Harry and Myers are a # 2and 3 receiver?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back