PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB awarded NFL Executive of the Year

You're a real piece of work, the Buccaneers fan who posted how "delicious" (your word) it is for BB to look bad. Transparent and pathetic.
Shouldn't you be posting memes somewhere?

Very deserving, this is an award that he should have received years so !

I dunno about great...we had a great draft (A+) The rest of the offseason was a B- at best.

Hits:
Judon
Bourne
Henry (bit of a stretch because he got a huge contract for a TE)
Mills (reasonable contract for a CB2)

Misses:
Godchaux
Adams
Anderson
Jonnu
Agholor
In addition to Godchaux maybe not being a miss, you’re missing from the hits:
Ted Karras
Trent Brown trade

You’re also missing Van Noy, who I’d put in the mixed-bag category with Godchaux.

All in all, what this really does is illustrate how good of a coaching job BB did with that 2020 team with Cam. They were one of the least talented teams in the league across the board; obviously had some good players but overall talent was really lacking. That we went 7-9 was incredible. An average coach goes 5-11 with that roster, a bad coach goes 3-13.

We were able to upgrade our talent to around average in 2021 which is what made the difference, and what earned BB this award. So now the question is if we can build on that further, knowing we’re relatively tight on the cap and have a number of the talented guys as FAs (JC, DMac even if not at peak, Brown).

While already mentioned elsewhere this is a lofty distinction that warrants its own thread. Despite the Pats faltering late in the season BB masterminded a roster makeover that paid immediate dividends with promising carryover for 2022 and beyond.

2021 COACH OF THE YEAR: Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
2021 EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR: Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
2021 ASSISTANT COACH OF THE YEAR: Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys

Belichick oversaw a rebuild of the Patriots roster after New England was 7-9 in 2020 and missed the playoffs. During the offseason, the Patriots added 11 veteran free agents, including wide receiver Nelson Agholor, defensive lineman Davon Godchaux, tight end Hunter Henry, linebacker Matthew Judon and linebacker Kyle Van Noy and also engineered trades for three other players. New England also selected PFWA All-Rookie quarterback Mac Jones in the first round, and PFWA All-Rookie defensive lineman Christian Barmore in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft. The Patriots started the season 3-5 and won seven straight games from late October through early December. New England qualified for the postseason for the 19th time under Belichick as head coach, which tied Don Shula for the most by a head coach in NFL history. Three players – cornerback J.C. Jackson, Judon and special teamer Matthew Slater were selected to the PFWA's All-AFC team.

This is the first PFWA Executive of the Year honor for Belichick, and the third Executive of the Year honor for the Patriots (GM Scott Pioli in 2003 and 2007) since the award was established in 1993.
Well deserved but unfortunately this will create a brand new wave of uneducated trashing of him in these pages.

I dunno about great...we had a great draft (A+) The rest of the offseason was a B- at best.

Hits:
Judon
Bourne
Henry (bit of a stretch because he got a huge contract for a TE)
Mills (reasonable contract for a CB2)

Misses:
Godchaux
Adams
Anderson
Jonnu
Agholor
What team added more successful free agents than that?
You also left out KVN, Karras, Brown (in a trade)
Your misses are an embellishment.
Godchaux played the most snaps of any DL
Adams was a guy signed for camp competition at almost no cost
Anderson was injured
Smith and Agholor played a lot, do you think the team would have been better with asiasi and Harry taking their snaps?

The award is for THIS season. These were not good signings for this year when you calculate contract vs value. Smith was a disaster. Agahlor did not produce close to his contract. Henry and Bourne had nice seasons but they were not commiserate with their contracts. That is the point of executive of the year. Especially when you compare the value the Rams got from Stafford, Miller and OBJ.

Gilmore was a complete disaster. He should have been traded in 2020 when Bill said he was punting on the season because of the "cap" only to extend McCourty and tag Thuney. Gilmore's value was at his highest in 2020 coming off DPOY during a season we supposedly were punting on and Bill hung on to him, didn't extend him and then he got hurt which tanked his value. That is 1000 percent on Bill. Gross mismanagement of a top asset.
Did you ever wonder whether you need to reconsider your fandom when a member of the organization is voted an award by those who know, and your first reaction is to post as fast as your fingers can type how much you feel they are undeserving and suck?

Did you ever wonder whether you need to reconsider your fandom when a member of the organization is voted an award by those who know, and your first reaction is to post as fast as your fingers can type how much you feel they are undeserving and suck?
Did you ever think that this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinions?

I have had many issues with Bill as a GM over the years since about 2015. Not everyone is an organizational shill who posts here.

P.S. my fingers did not type nearly as fast as Tunescribes did when he created this thread. Lol

Last edited:
Did you ever think that this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinions?

I have had many issues with Bill as a GM over the years since about 2015. Not everyone is an organizational shill who posts here.

P.S. my fingers did not type nearly as fast as Tunescribes did when he created this thread. Lol
No one is saying you arent entitled to your opinion.
I just find it odd that a supposed fan if the team gets really angry when a member of it receives credit.
Since 2015, they are still the most successful franchise in the league, so perhaps your “many issues” are misplaced.

What team added more successful free agents than that?
You also left out KVN, Karras, Brown (in a trade)
Your misses are an embellishment.
Godchaux played the most snaps of any DL
Adams was a guy signed for camp competition at almost no cost
Anderson was injured
Smith and Agholor played a lot, do you think the team would have been better with asiasi and Harry taking their snaps?
I left out KVN, Karras and Brown as I don't consider them as either hits or misses, par for the course. (Same as for Wise, Guy, Davis etc...)

No, I don't think Harry playing over literally anyone would have been a better choice. Which also begs the question of why he is still on this team. I would also take Wilkerson over Agholor and pocket the $10 mil per year difference in their salaries. If you think Godchaux deserves anything more than a long walk off a short plank, I am not sure we have anything else to talk about. He was an unmitigated disaster. The fact that he played more snaps than anyone just reinforces the horrible job we did rebuilding our D-Line.

Ultimately, what would have been better would be if we used that money more wisely. I have no concern over signing free agents and having them not work out, it happens every year. But signing free agents to large contracts for more than 1 year can seriously cripple our chances next year.

Finally, I am fully aware that the offseason consists of more than just free agent signings. That's why I split out free agent signing and the draft with a clarification that the draft was great, but free agent signings were nothonh more than a bit above average...

I left out KVN, Karras and Brown as I don't consider them as either hits or misses, par for the course. (Same as for Wise, Guy, Davis etc...)

No, I don't think Harry playing over literally anyone would have been a better choice. Which also begs the question of why he is still on this team. I would also take Wilkerson over Agholor and pocket the $10 mil per year difference in their salaries. If you think Godchaux deserves anything more than a long walk off a short plank, I am not sure we have anything else to talk about. He was an unmitigated disaster. The fact that he played more snaps than anyone just reinforces the horrible job we did rebuilding our D-Line.

Ultimately, what would have been better would be if we used that money more wisely. I have no concern over signing free agents and having them not work out, it happens every year. But signing free agents to large contracts for more than 1 year can seriously cripple our chances next year.

Finally, I am fully aware that the offseason consists of more than just free agent signings. That's why I split out free agent signing and the draft with a clarification that the draft was great, but free agent signings were nothonh more than a bit above average...
You left out acquiring 3 starters because they don’t count??

But yeah we are t going to agree, and yes your assessment truly do mean we have nothing left to talk about.

No one is saying you arent entitled to your opinion.
I just find it odd that a supposed fan if the team gets really angry when a member of it receives credit.
Since 2015, they are still the most successful franchise in the league, so perhaps your “many issues” are misplaced.
Whose angry? I was stating why the award should have gone to the Rams which others have noted too.
Your last sentence is so incredibly typical of organizational shills.

I'll take that as tacit admission of your agenda-driven fraudulence.
she heads into positive threads all the time, and begins to crap all over BB, regardless of topic... biggest anti-BB honk going... worse than a clots mid 2000's fan...

I have had many issues

That is obvious, including but not limited to your anti-Patriots/viciously anti-BB posting history, there for everyone to see. It's perfectly OK to criticize the team, players, its coach/GM, etc. but you've taken it to an absurd level. We get it, you hate BB for allowing Brady's departure and want to see him fail, a prospect you've described as "delicious." That's pretty sick. Please do yourself and everyone else here a favor and keep your stated promise to quit following the NFL when Tom retires.

With both thumbs up your keister it's a wonder you can type at all.

she heads into positive threads all the time, and begins to crap all over BB, regardless of topic... biggest anti-BB honk going... worse than a clots mid 2000's fan...
I hope you are doing ok with your loss. Everytime I see your avatar I think of your thread on your wife and hope you are doing better.

That is obvious, including but not limited to your anti-Patriots/viciously anti-BB posting history, there for everyone to see. It's perfectly OK to criticize the team, players, its coach/GM, etc. but you've taken it to an absurd level. We get it, you hate BB for allowing Brady's departure and want to see him fail, a prospect you've described as "delicious." That's pretty sick. Please do yourself and everyone else here a favor and keep your stated promise to quit following the NFL when Tom retires.

With both thumbs up your keister it's a wonder you can type at all.
*Yawn*

Whose angry? I was stating why the award should have gone to the Rams which others have noted too.
Your last sentence is so incredibly typical of organizational shills.
Clearly you are angry.
Recognizing that your whining is about the most successful organization in the league doesn’t make anyone a shill it just points out you don’t know what you are talking about.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back