PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB awarded NFL Executive of the Year

Look at the contracts relative to this year's cap and next year's cap. They're not bad. We're paying Kendrick Bourne $3m a year for the next 5 years in a league trending toward a $250m cap.
SmartSelect_20220128-100900_Firefox.jpg

You're severely underestimating what a contract for a starting WR is going to look like Algholor will be considered cheap. And backloaded is really a meaningless concept when the signing bonuses are small. You do realize Algholor has a 2 year contract, right? I mean, next year is his last year. Why are you worried about backloaded? This contract will be incredibly easy to get out from under.

By the way, 3 other WRs signed for Algholor money last year: Corey Davis, Will Fuller, Curtis Samuel. Same money, same average. Didn't work out for them either.
When discussing executive year - contract + value realized is generally how the award is determined. It's also not a comparison game about mediocre players on high end contracts either.

Also does he get a complete pass on the Gilmore trade?

You're severely underestimating what a contract for a starting WR is going to look like Algholor will be considered cheap. And backloaded is really a meaningless concept when the signing bonuses are small. You do realize Algholor has a 2 year contract, right? I mean, next year is his last year. Why are you worried about backloaded? This contract will be incredibly easy to get out from under.
SmartSelect_20220128-101132_Firefox.jpg

It's beyond preposterous that you believe this is expensive.

Let's say we don't like Kendrick Bourne anymore after next year. $1.4m in dead money is a lot?

That's nuts.

What are you people even doing?

Thank god you're not anywhere near running my favorite team.

When discussing executive year - contract + value realized is generally how the award is determined. It's also not a comparison game about mediocre players on high end contracts either.

I have no idea what you're saying in the first sentence. I wrote that the contracts aren't outlandish, and they'll be seen as cheap soon. And when it comes to Algholor, he's got one year left, so it's not an albatross.

If you want to know more about the Gilmore situation, look at the Gilmore thread. What more needs to be said. The guy has been explicit that he would not play for the Patriots again (not to mention he was roasted in Carolina). It's either get a low round draft pick for him.... or nothing.

I have no idea what you're saying in the first sentence. I wrote that the contracts aren't outlandish, and they'll be seen as cheap soon. And when it comes to Algholor, he's got one year left, so it's not an albatross.

If you want to know more about the Gilmore situation, look at the Gilmore thread. What more needs to be said. The guy has been explicit that he would not play for the Patriots again (not to mention he was roasted in Carolina). It's either get a low round draft pick for him.... or nothing.
The award is for THIS season. These were not good signings for this year when you calculate contract vs value. Smith was a disaster. Agahlor did not produce close to his contract. Henry and Bourne had nice seasons but they were not commiserate with their contracts. That is the point of executive of the year. Especially when you compare the value the Rams got from Stafford, Miller and OBJ.

Gilmore was a complete disaster. He should have been traded in 2020 when Bill said he was punting on the season because of the "cap" only to extend McCourty and tag Thuney. Gilmore's value was at his highest in 2020 coming off DPOY during a season we supposedly were punting on and Bill hung on to him, didn't extend him and then he got hurt which tanked his value. That is 1000 percent on Bill. Gross mismanagement of a top asset.

Mike Vrabel was not deserving at all for Coach of the year. His team stumbled into the #1 seed and then instantly vanished.

Mike Vrabel was not deserving at all for Coach of the year. His team stumbled into the #1 seed and then instantly vanished.
Looks like they did COTY for both AFC and NFC? I saw LaFleur's name too.

Congrats Coach BB....here's to another solid draft and maneuvering to get us back to the postseason

It's a regular season award. Otherwise the MVP would be far and ahead Mahomeboy

It's a regular season award. Otherwise the MVP would be far and ahead Mahomeboy
He still wasn’t deserving. He got the #1 seed by default.

Draft: A+
Free Agency (2021 results only): B-

Free Agency (long-term outlook, including how the team got that much cap space and what the FA value becomes long-term, rather than just year one of backloaded deals): D

He still wasn’t deserving. He got the #1 seed by default.
Why not? Lost his main offensive weapon the majority of the season, got the #1 seed, dressed/played 85 players the most out of any team due to injuries. I think he deserved it

The award is for THIS season. These were not good signings for this year when you calculate contract vs value. Smith was a disaster. Agahlor did not produce close to his contract. Henry and Bourne had nice seasons but they were not commiserate with their contracts. That is the point of executive of the year. Especially when you compare the value the Rams got from Stafford, Miller and OBJ.

Gilmore was a complete disaster. He should have been traded in 2020 when Bill said he was punting on the season because of the "cap" only to extend McCourty and tag Thuney. Gilmore's value was at his highest in 2020 coming off DPOY during a season we supposedly were punting on and Bill hung on to him, didn't extend him and then he got hurt which tanked his value. That is 1000 percent on Bill. Gross mismanagement of a top asset.
We're talking about building a team. When you sign someone for multiple years, it's for multiple years, not just this year. If Belichick was always trying to win an award, based on your parameters, he never would have won a Super Bowl.

Anyone who believes that Bourne's production was not commensurate (not sic) with his contract hasn't done any analysis of WR contracts.

Bourne's production far exceeded his contract. Come on!!! Do better.

And why in the world are you talking about backloaded albatross contracts and then you come back and start arguing about only this year? It's impossible to talk to you about this stuff when you bring in future years in an initial post, then you come back and say, Let's talk about his year only!! What is one to do?

Agreed on Smith and Agholor, though I'd withhold judgment until their 2nd year in the system and with a QB that's no longer a rookie (not that Mac will be a finished product next season but he should be noticeably better).

Disagree on Henry and Bourne. Henry had 9 scores. And they got 800 yards out of Bourne as a 3rd option, which is worth a lot more than the 3M he got paid.

The big caveat, and I know it sounds like excuse-making but it's a real thing: all of those guys were in the first year in a new offense with new QB who happened to be a rookie. If they all have the exact same production next season, then I'd be disappointed. Until then, we have good reason to be excited about 2 of them (Henry, Bourne). We'll see about the other 2, but at least Agholor is in the last year of his deal.

So is this a lifetime achievement award? He went out and spent $165 mil and missed on many of the those guys. Draft was good not spectacular. Jones was sitting there at 15. I would have thought the Rams GM would have gotten it for Stafford, Miller and OBJ.

You're a real piece of work, the Buccaneers fan who posted how "delicious" (your word) it is for BB to look bad. Transparent and pathetic.

Agreed on Smith and Agholor, though I'd withhold judgment until their 2nd year in the system and with a QB that's no longer a rookie (not that Mac will be a finished product next season but he should be noticeably better).

Disagree on Henry and Bourne. Henry had 9 scores. And they got 800 yards out of Bourne as a 3rd option, which is worth a lot more than the 3M he got paid.

The big caveat, and I know it sounds like excuse-making but it's a real thing: all of those guys were in the first year in a new offense with new QB who happened to be a rookie. If they all have the exact same production next season, then I'd be disappointed. Until then, we have good reason to be excited about 2 of them (Henry, Bourne). We'll see about the other 2, but at least Agholor is in the last year of his deal.
My hope is for another solid draft. Henry is up there in age. We need to draft a quality young TE and a speed receiver as well. The issue is we have so many holes on defense and the Oline needs help. We are still a few years out I think which is Ok. Things don't happen over night.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back