PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

B.G.C. 2019 NFL Draft/Patriot-Type Players Thread

A few notes. Spelling will be fuc ked bc I'm using talk-text so it won't know certain names or mess up a few words etc

Oklahoma/Iowa State

This was a really exciting game. Both teams did some really nice things in terms of offensive of line play. Butler broke out for Iowa State, +Size, Body control & showed vg game speed for it. He ran away from a few different DB'S. We knew about Montgomery. Didn't get the ball as much as he should have. But his attributes a numerous, contact balance, speed, vision and some shake.

I thought Iowa State's offensive line really did some nice things in terms of working on their inside/outside Zone that they've been working on since the beginning of of the season. You saw some success w it with Montgomery and Kene Nwangwu. It wasn't a dominant performance but you glimpses of what could be.

But to me this game was really won in the second quarter, Oklahoma was up 10-0, Iowa State put 10 on the board but it also let Oklahoma put up 14 and consecutive drives. ISU clearly seemed to be focused upfront and stopping the Run & some mesh designs on crossers. OK took advantage picking up chunks from gaps between the S's/LB'S. That seem to be just enough although again it was a very exciting, little closer than the score seemed, type game

I think the big news out of this game though and we shouldn't ignore the obvious is Oklahoma dare I say might be better than last year. The team looks very balanced and very explosive

This was a really exciting game. Both teams did some really nice things in terms of offensive of line play. Butler broke out for Iowa State, +Size, Body control & showed vg game speed for it. He ran away from a few different DB'S. We knew about Montgomery. Didn't get the ball as much as he should have. But his attributes a numerous, contact balance, speed, vision and some shake.

I thought Iowa State's offensive line really did some nice things in terms of working on their inside/outside Zone that they've been working on since the beginning of of the season. You saw some success w it with Montgomery and Kene Nwangwu. It wasn't a dominant performance but you glimpses of what could be.

But to me this game was really won in the second quarter, Oklahoma was up 10-0, Iowa State put 10 on the board but it also let Oklahoma put up 14 and consecutive drives. ISU clearly seemed to be focused upfront and stopping the Run & some mesh designs on crossers. OK took advantage picking up chunks from gaps between the S's/LB'S. That seem to be just enough although again it was a very exciting, little closer than the score seemed, type game

I think the big news out of this game though and we shouldn't ignore the obvious is Oklahoma dare I say might be better than last year. The team looks very balanced and very explosive

OSU/TCU

I thought the story this game really was TCU and how good they looked probably ahead of schedule and Pattersons mind. This is a very young team but they showed up and where is fast Has any team we've seen so far. They did a great job stretching OSU

I thought this game like a few others really come down to a few mistakes, turnovers, a few plays/non plays. The Bosa sack

TCU is very young and they might have found themselves a quarterback in Robinson. He made a few mistakes No Doubt but from what I've read and heard seems that his own in it. He also suffered from a few drops. they put in lvery good effort & didn't back down in any phase.

They did a great job of keeping the OSU guessing just enough, moving just enough to create some space. Mixing up the traditional play calling on Run/Pass downs

What a fast team though, they seem to burn out a little bit after halftime, combine that with the fact that osu's defense really stepped up specifically Dramont Jones. He made a couple of wild please moving Robinson off his spot. Young & Cooper flashed off the edge, rushing the passer.

Ari St/SDSU

Another game where I thought coaching played a pretty big part. Seem like both teams struggle to really get going but after that fourth and one stop San Diego State never look back. That play and then the 2-minute drive really gave them momentum in confidence which is absolutely huge in college football.

Agnew played well, no TO's, didn't have the best best pp.

I thought there offensive line and Washington really kept the trains running on time and that offense moving. they just controlled the game. Gudino played very well with an ankle injury at RG.

Tezino and Baldwin are playmakers on D.

Baron came up clutch.

Kyrie Woods played vg for the most part against Harry who looked disinterested at times to say the least.

What about Manny Wilkins though? I mean this kid has obvious Talent but you could see him chirping the whole game. Sometimes that's good, a moderation thing but he was chirping at his team, San Diego State & on the sidelines. Combined with his comments after the game, it makes you wonder what kind of guy he is from a coaching standpoint.

Another game that flags made too much of an impact

Boise State/ Oklahoma State

Maybe a wake up call to some if u thought Boise State could really compete w the big boys.

This was one of those games that clearly illustrated a talent discrepancy & coaching discrepancy.

Oklahoma State won the battle in the trenches especially their defensive front vs Boise's offensive line. They could not stop the blitz. Boise just had no answer for it. Right side was awful.

This is where coaching comes in again. most evident after the first quarter which again tells me that ok states coaching made some adjustments and kept on doing so throughout the game to exploit the obvious weaknesses.

Instead of trying to check down, some creativity (draw/shovel, something we saw Trubisky/Burton do )having a hot read or identifying the open man and hitting him it look like Boise was trying to go for chunk yards at times for the most part. There was some of what I described but not enough.

I thought Rypien played really well & so did his weapons, they made some great plays (Anderson, Modster, Hightower, 6 guys had at least 40 yards I believe. tight ends played well). He moved around the pocket at times, almost 400 yards but this was a game that he was just overmatched up front. He's definitely an intermediate/short guy in terms of arm strength/talent but that can be slightly improved. He's gonna get a bunch of looks from teams. Interviews will be huge.

Also the punts were a killer. Didn't look like a unit that it was talked up to be before the year.

It was pretty much the same story on the other side of the ball. The physical dominance was there but ok state/Gundy did a great job of creating tough angles to crash to with the gaps they opened. Boise did a great job helping them out missed tackles and really couldn't hang with this speed. Ok st's tempo didn't help either Boise just could not get situated in between plays. They made them one-dimensional and just physically dominated with their size and strength along the line.

Auburn/LSU

LSU did a great job keeping Auburn offensive line busy and guessing moving some guys around, attacking different areas. Lawrence played well imo. Won one on one battles, clear out space for others to attack (Alexander). Again he played really well. Thought they missed Chaisson a bit and I'll continue to look for that as the season goes on but they did more than enough today to confuse that line and Stidham.

Who has really been the same player for a minute now. In the confines of the offense. With misdirection, play-calling & some decent talent around he can operate. VG stick n shoot passer that can deliver a clean, accurate ball w good placement.

It's when the play breaks down, when his 1st read isn't there, so does he & everything else he brings. He's one of these guys that his scouting report is already written for the most part.

On offense LSU was the definition of doing just enough. JB made some timely throws some in the face of pressure and there was a few times LSU just killed them which stretch runs, just cutting the hell out of the backside. I definitely think there's plenty to work with with JB. Completion percentage was pretty bad but again there's something there. For the most part I think he throws a good ball putting it where it needs to be. Let's not forget first three starts, tough games, again I think there's some tools to work with.

Auburn had a few turnovers that definitely didn't help but I thought coaching played a little bit into the loss as well in terms of Gus sitting on the lead. definitely not completely his fault, Stidham left a lot of plays out there. this was a collective effort in terms of a loss.

Fullton & Williams played great as well. I thought the same for Peters and Dean, not as good as the Greedy/Full but I thought they played well. Way too many flags for my liking it's getting ridiculous on both levels pro and college.

White is a monster. Reminds me of a young Hightower at times.

Looking at a few more during the week

Been Banogu & Ty Summers are two guys I've liked or had an eye on.

Banogu has that good get off. Slippery, looks to have long arms. Def has some bend. Doesn't really have an extensive pass rush plan but there's so much to work w.

Ty Summers. Former QB & it shows. Great instincts. Impacts run, coverage & can rush the passer some. Has some decent range & radius. Free Warner vibes?

Last edited:
Gardner Minshew (Uncle Rico) really impressing so far. Has gone to 2nd read a few a times & looked very smooth flipping his body/hips around. Zipped into tight coverage a few times. Took on pressure e/out flinching.
Great touch on deep ball. VG scrambling, poised for TD.

USC has to establish their power game. I've said it for like 2 weeks now. They aren't a zone/gap team. I'd loved to see some splits/flags for those plays but it seems clear their a power team that has to get the going running game going to help Daniels. Who threw a vg touch fade to St Brown, showed + tracking ability.

Tel just misses too many tackles man.

Sam much better closer he is to the ball.

Gustin is that effort, fighter type.

No surprise on those last 3 guys.

Leach just has a great feel for this game man, he's a legend

Extension

USC/WAsh St

Minshew has been very good. Went through his reads more than a few times. Very smooth, moving head/body. Patience & poised. Reconized pressure & went to open space. Has some zipped on the ball. Thread the needle a few times.

Tell big missed tackle on 190 lb RB that kept drive going

Cam Smith Iso against RB/WR bad but vg at sensing where the run or screen is going. Def comfortable the closer he is to the ball.

Gustin is that power player in the run game. +Motor, effort, uses what length he has to stay clean outside.

(Great game plan by Leach, he had a great feel for this game)

Washington St Borghi runs so hard, fearless. Williams had a very good game.

USC seemed flat. They couldn't get any pressure & when they did it seemed to be telegraphed Minshew just picked them apart.

Few sloppy flags from USC

JT Daniels vg touch on fade. St Brown great tracking ability. Daniels flashes that arm from time to time & we've seen it the past few weeks.

Minshew great placement touch on deep ball. Very poised all night. Wow unbelievable scrambling ability for TD

Williams w VG patience. Wow catch on sidelines

Last edited:
Stanford/Oregon

Herbert was outstanding in almost all phases. Said last week he'd after make a few plays w his legs. He was vg on the move, used his wheels when needed. Thought he'd have to do some scanning he did, OU was great w spacing & really showed their speed.

Threw a.fade route to Mitchell that was just beautiful. Looked like it was a double w his pump fake but terrific placement.

2&7 pass was just nuts. Over/Into, 2 DB's into a phone booth. Accuracy, touch/placement.

He made a few of these throws that were quick but also took him looking off a S, faking the CB w a pump,

Again w/e it was he looked so good. Using his legs, short/intermediate/deep, placement/touch.

Work on hot read faster! More consistent/quicker processing going to 1-2. Highlights of this game will play when he gets drafted. + Tools, intangibles & arm.

This kid could be a "system" if he keeps improving.

Mitchell played very well.

Breeland improved game his blocking.

Really liked what the OL did. Verdell had a game & put himself on the map but I really love what this Old Line did. The left side especially seems like anytime they wanted some push needed a play they went to the left side. I thought Sewell, Lemieux, Warmack played vg in the running game.

Whole line was vg besides Hanson.

Not worried but just to keep an eye on that defense cuz it looks like they really need the pass rush to set the tone, secondary definitely need help in that regard as do all. They just seen those bit non-existent of times.

Dye & Apelu, came w some thump on a few plays. Dye could be that Swiss army knife. When he's clean he comes down field hard. Slade was decent. Didn't notice Winston too much. Troy made some fantastic plays in pass coverage. Took away the underneath stuff and had a sweet breakup on Stanford's first drive. Outstanding coverage against Love on the wheel. He's everywhere. Hollins had a solid game, twitched up. Really like what he brings to the table. Oregon has ask him to do a lil bit of everything. 6'6/240.

Jelks was ok. Both those guys have real potential.

Costello made some very nice passes too. I some him hold a S a few times, one vn to JJAW on the sideline. 50 yard across the field, pumps on first fake on double & hits Irwin, dime.

JJAW looks so legit. Let's talk about that release in the RZ. So pretty. Single move. Froze the CB eyes w his hips. Hes so comfortable along the sidelines/RZ. Always aware of where he is & knows exactly where he wants to be/how he'll land. So clean coming out of his stem.

Stanford LB Bobby Okereke has +football IQ. Athletic, rangy, can cover almost whole field.

TCU/Texas

Texas has to feel good about this one, it's obviously been a few years. This is a team that's definitely still finished product. Offensively their hot cold, will struggle at times but TCU really help them out. The turnovers were just brutal. This was a very winnable game TCU looks a little out of it on both sides of the ball. I brought up OSU might affect them in this game & and I think it did a little bit. Just in terms of their overall speed, execution, Focus. They were really hyped up for that OSU game and things just weren't clicking last week.

Jalen Reagor was great. From the release, to the double moves, had two very nice slant and goes. He definitely has that juice..Turben as well.

Boyd made a few great pbu. Reagor is handful in terms of his release and stop start ability and Boyd really held his own for the most part. He definitely looks like somebody that could tend with bigger receivers at the next level.

Ehlinger was okay again this offense was streaky kind of hot cold but he made a few throws in particular to call and Johnson who look really crisp and tight all night. Humphrey was there. Watson showed up. Ehlinger apparently was a handful for TCU bc they couldn't touch him on a few plays.

Bama

Tua has some serious mechanics. Definitely has that Hawaiian strength. It's beautiful to watch. He generates everything from his lower half/core. You can it in an almost flawless weight transfer. It's so pretty. He's incredible to watch.

1st play was with a perfect microcosm of what you're going up against in Alabama. Esp the last few years. Dominant Pressure up the middle, this year courtesy of Davis and in this play Williams who just killed his man with a beautiful swim move. Slow that Play Down and you'll see him find and not his man's hands down to set himself up for the swim just a great move. Again though this is what you're going up against when he talked about Alabama incredible pass rush up the middle and off the edge but also an offense that's incredibly explosive and can weigh you down at the same time with Harris & Company. Williams was great in this game.

I thought Irv Smith really showcase what he could do with the next level as kind of a tight end Flex option. Harris really improved his stock in my opinion show some great balance on that run on the sidelines where he almost got his lower half almost taken out from him. He don't he doesn't have that Breakaway speed but he definitely has that speed to pick up chunks in gas you 40 50 yards. Dude has great vision. He's so under rated.

Surtain play his int perfectly very nice Trail technique opened up at the right time and turned on the Jets to get the pic beautiful play

Have to say there were a few times I was really impressed with Mond in the way he worked in manipulated the pocket. Davis and Williams we're really cutting through that line, the o-line did a very nice job at times but I thought Mond made more than a few plays just working that pocket

Washington/Ari St

You could tell each team was content w being the counter puncher so to speak. Wash played what look like c3 keeping everything underneath & taking away any possibility of a big play. CB/S working on vert routes, again keeping everything in front of them

I thought Wash entire secondary played very well. Miller, Murphy, JoJo, Rapp.

I love Murphy. On my radar before the draft & he just keeps moving up.

So smooth in off/zone. +Eyes, no hesitation breaking on ball or off route if need be. physical in man. Excellent at using the sidelines, pushing his targets inside. Dude brings it's in run support.

Rapp was his usual self. Everywhere. You can see him playing in on an Atlanta, Seattle, Jax taking away the underneath & quarters of the field. He's an " every team" player tho. Every team has room for him.

I thought Wash OL played very well. Felt Gaskin missed a few holes. Protected Browing & keep him in a safe space. Both needed this game.

DeAndre Baker was great again. He's let up like 25 yac in last 2 games. Another guy who looks great in quarters coverage. So smart.

That UG is nuts btw. Campbell & Stokes both look insane. We'll see both next year. Those 2 can play.

Josh Allen played great for Kentucky. UK got into MS ST big time. They just had a great game plan. They brought Pressure from everywhere. Delayed, Fake/Rush 2-3. It got to Fitz who showed it in his delivery & placement. Esp to the mof.

Allen was buzzing off the edge w what looked like better bend than I saw last year? He dropped in coverage, flat, hook. Favorite play was 3/2 I believe. Just tossed his man(OT) aside. Quick, clean hands & shed. Made TFL. Quite a game.

Clavin Taylor looked good too. Club/ Swim for Pressure inside.

Talked about this on the pod & in my notes from the game. Great matchup. Very impressed. Reagor won & showed out on the los but Boyd also showed vg closing speed, technique in knifing up the wr chest, footwork/stop-start ability in short area.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back