PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Awesomeness: Malcolm Butler pimps Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
FC9EE42D-0083-4883-BF2D-77C29CCC5F34.jpeg

83110107.jpg

This is great and all but I must ask, why isn’t this added into the Malcolm butler mega thread?

Ummm...

Perhaps because highlighting the revolutionary philosophy of The Patriots Way, and celebrating the shocking and astonishing rebirth of Malcolm Butler, not as a Disgruntled X Employee, but as a man, who, despite a spectacularly horrific ending to his hitherto magical stay, here in Foxboro, has reemerged, not decades later, but weeks later, as an evangelist of the Patriots Way, is uplifting, amazing, and flat out magical?? o_O

For Butler to speak in such terms, mere months after the horrific and mysterious debacle that hastened his exit and cost us a Championship, has no historical precedent.

Mad Bill is a flawed genius...But just because he's flawed doesn't mean he has a peer.

Malcolm Butler will be beloved by anyone around here with any heart or soul...forever.

Even so: I, for one, was prepared for never a kind word to be said by either one about the other, should we all live another thousand years...And any student of human nature acknowledges that when Rapprochement happens, it usually happens decades after the fact, when most'f us can barely remember what the big deal was, in the first place.

For Butler ~ a young and intensely emotional man, on top of all the drama ~ to get in front of a mike and laud Mad Bill, only months after all that, and while we're all still acclimating ourselves to that debacle...is essentially unprecedented...in anything. :eek:

For Butler to do that...takes astonishing, historical Character.

He just pushed the envelope of the human Spirit.

So, yeah: I felt that that warranted a thread. ;)

Well said.

And not to sidetrack this thread into one about thread management policy, but I think it's a good idea to allow new threads when the news being discussed is a major tonal shift from the larger thread that already exists. I haven't visited the Butler Mega-Thread in a while, but the general theme there was always, "Why did this happen!? I'm so angry!" when I was there. This thread, while also about Butler, has a very different purpose and feel to it. I think it should stand on it's own.

Preach it, Brother!!
beer.gif

...And: thanks. :D

Last edited:
Well said.

And not to sidetrack this thread into one about thread management policy, but I think it's a good idea to allow new threads when the news being discussed is a major tonal shift from the larger thread that already exists. I haven't visited the Butler Mega-Thread in a while, but the general theme there was always, "Why did this happen!? I'm so angry!" when I was there. This thread, while also about Butler, has a very different purpose and feel to it. I think it should stand on it's own.

Couldn't agree more. After the first few days of posts the Mega-Thread had become the equivalent of oral surgery without anesthesia and the final asinine push to get it over the top for total posts was excruciating. Had the subject of this thread been posted there I doubt many folks would even have bothered to look at it. I might have because of who posted it but if one of the perpetual whiners had posted after it I probably wouldn't have seen this and I am glad I did.

I found this interesting:

"In fact, Butler’s strongest moments in 2017 came when he was tasked with shadowing the other team's fastest receiver. When Butler was asked to follow DeSean Jackson, Robby Anderson, Emmanuel Sanders, Amari Cooper and Deonte Thompson (twice), quarterbacks completed only 48.8% of passes against him..."
That’s a pretty weak collection of receivers though isnt it?

FYI those 5 averaged completion of 53% of targets all season.

Still, Butler has nothing but kind words for Belichick and his style, which he sees echoed in Vrabel. Much of Belichick’s outsized influence in New England stems from his egalitarian treatment of star players, which is to say, he treats them like scrubs. (The MMQB’s Jenny Vrentas wrote a highly recommended breakdown of this dynamic.)

“It’s the Patriots system, one of the greatest systems in the NFL,” Butler says of the Titans. “You can tell Mike played for Belichick because you can see some of the similarities. They’re about winning the way New England is about winning.

Love that line!!
beer.gif

One of many of my grandfather's aphorisms that stuck with me that I in turn have passed along to my own grandkids. In terms of standing the test of time it's right up there with 'Common sense is neither' and 'Common courtesy is an oxymoron.'

Couldn't agree more. After the first few days of posts the Mega-Thread had become the equivalent of oral surgery without anesthesia and the final asinine push to get it over the top for total posts was excruciating. Had the subject of this thread been posted there I doubt many folks would even have bothered to look at it. I might have because of who posted it but if one of the perpetual whiners had posted after it I probably wouldn't have seen this and I am glad I did.
And that's the risk when you cram all topics on a given subject into one overgrown megathread. Interesting tidbits tend to get lost in page 5 of 60 that deserved more attention than that.

I tend to feel that the only time you should use a megathread is when a forum is so very busy that the only alternative is for interesting topics to get lost in the noise otherwise. That.... doesn't really describe this place in the offseason.

I do think the megathread was appropriate when it was made, because the anguish of defeat and the confusion in the heat of the moment was causing a lot of stream of consciousness threads in the weeks right after the superbowl that weren't adding anything new. But it's like anything else, times change and things mature and the conversation should probably have been allowed to break out into a few different threads months ago. All MHO of course.

BTW even WITH Butler, we were facing a superior team with a quarterback who was in the zone at that moment in time in a way I've only ever seen before from Brady. Our defense was outmatched even with Butler in the field and Foles was on fire. you can assume nothing about how the outcome of the game might change

Also I won't dismiss the possibility that there was a valid reason not to play Butler that everyone's keeping quiet about, until Bill has been retired for years and writes his memoirs and makes a clean breast about SB52. It's a logical fallacy that because no reason was given, there was no reason. There was a reason. Bill Belichick does not do things like this without a reason. And until we know what the reason was, we CAN'T argue about the Butler benching with anything other than opinion, speculation and Monday morning coaching. That and 2 bucks will buy you a bag of potato chips.

Good for him in not carrying any negativity forward ... at least publicly.

I am sure he feels he has something to prove ... not unlike many other athletes who find motivation points.

Good for him in not carrying any negativity forward ... at least publicly.

I am sure he feels he has something to prove ... not unlike many other athletes who find motivation points.
I think butler has realized that if he had followed the patriot way in the 2 weeks before the Sb he would have played and his team probably would have won, so he has accepted that the patriot way is better than the Malcolm way.

I think butler has realized that if he had followed the patriot way in the 2 weeks before the Sb he would have played and his team probably would have won, so he has accepted that the patriot way is better than the Malcolm way.
I don't want to go that far ... it's all assumption and after all he was sick [not 100%].

I don't want to go that far ... it's all assumption and after all he was sick [not 100%].
If you take a step back and consider that the greatest coach of all time, the one who has won the most, the one who focuses everything he does on winning championships chose to sit a player in the SB that had play 97% of the snaps during the season, it’s just not realistic to think the player didn’t do something to cause it.
When that player proceeds to speak glowingly of that coach and how great the “patriot way” is you end up seeing the other facet of the patriot way, no one will air the dirty laundry and throw butler under the bus.

Some posters implied that this is just like the mega thread and that is a swing and a miss. :eek:

On the other hand a few posters are trying to convert this thread into the mega thread and that will earn you some laps to run,o_O

Taken at its face value, the apologists now have one less good reason for the worst decision in Super Bowl history as gross insubordination can now be taken off the list. Guess he didn’t punch the “great guy’s” kid after all. My money has always been on Belichick believing Butler stole his “strawberries “ anyway. “ [Coach] is pure Navy; so was Captain Bligh”.

On the first day of free agency, 9 teams lined up to bid on the services of a player who just a month and a half earlier the apologists would want you to believe was not good enough, prepared enough or disciplined enough to even take the field as a 3rd CB forcing both starting safeties to play out of position. The winner of his services, a team coached by a former player of his old coach and whose GM worked for his former team shelled out $ 30 million in guarantees to sign such an untalented and unreliable player. Pure unmitigated nonsense.

I’m very happy Butler has moved on to better things and wish him the very best. It sounds like his new Coach might be an ass like his old coach, so it’s smart to ingratiate himself to him. The class Butler demonstrated throughout this whole matter stands as further proof his benching was unmerited.

Taken at its face value, the apologists now have one less good reason for the worst decision in Super Bowl history as gross insubordination can now be taken off the list. Guess he didn’t punch the “great guy’s” kid after all. My money has always been on Belichick believing Butler stole his “strawberries “ anyway. “ [Coach] is pure Navy; so was Captain Bligh”.

On the first day of free agency, 9 teams lined up to bid on the services of a player who just a month and a half earlier the apologists would want you to believe was not good enough, prepared enough or disciplined enough to even take the field as a 3rd CB forcing both starting safeties to play out of position. The winner of his services, a team coached by a former player of his old coach and whose GM worked for his former team shelled out $ 30 million in guarantees to sign such an untalented and unreliable player. Pure unmitigated nonsense.

I’m very happy Butler has moved on to better things and wish him the very best. It sounds like his new Coach might be an ass like his old coach, so it’s smart to ingratiate himself to him. The class Butler demonstrated throughout this whole matter stands as further proof his benching was unmerited.

I won't agree or disagree with your reasoning regarding the benching etc.... but do agree that Butler has been nothing but class. I too wish him the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back