PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Auburn-Alabama game ends on missed FG return for TD

Re: OT: Alabama kicker gets death threats after the game

The last kick was a good kick, obviously it wasn't good enough and there were no skilled athletes (offensive linemen) on the field to stop the runner. What is really interesting about the death threats is, you have a potential starting qb playing for the championship who is under investigation for rape. The public fan support of these two individuals is pretty extreme considering the two circumstances.

Pathetic. You ask the guy to kick a 57 yard FG to win the game. Is the poor guy supposed to hit that is if it's some kind of chip shot FG?

They put in someone else to hit that last FG.

It wasn't the Cade Foster guy.

Didn't some poor S. American soccer goalie score an own goal in World Cup play a few years ago for which he had to leave his country? or have I just dreamed that up.

Worse than that. He wasn't a goalie and he didn't get to leave the country.

Andres Escobar, a defender for the Colombian national team, died in a hail of gunfire in his homeland last Saturday, apparently because of a goal he had inadvertently kicked in for the U.S. in its surprising 2-1 win over Colombia on June 22 in Pasadena, Calif., which helped bring about Colombia's unexpected early elimination from the Cup.

A Colombian player was slain because of a mistake he made - 07.11.94 - SI Vault

It was the subject of one of the better 30 for 30 ESPN documentaries.

To be fair, they actually had two different kickers screw up—they used a different kicker on the 57-yard FG attempt after the first kicker missed two (44, 33) and had a third (44) blocked.

But the fact that a kick was blocked indicates Alabama was having trouble with the entire kicking unit, not just the kicker. The kicker gets most of the blame (as it is, after all, his foot), but he shouldn't be the only fall guy.

On the other hand, what is Saban thinking trying to kick a 57-yard field goal there? Just take your chances with OT.

and this is all completely moot if Saban kicks the 25 yd FG with 6 min left in the 4th quarter to put AL up by 10. Instead he goes for it and gives the ball back to Auburn. He didn't let the real FG kicker kick a chip shot, but lets the other guy try a 57 yarder. He needs to man up and take all the blame for this and get it off of a young kid who did nothing wrong.

Last edited:

and this is all completely moot if Saban kicks the 25 yd FG with 2 min left in the 4th quarter to put AL up by 10. Instead he goes for it and gives the ball back to Auburn. He didn't let the real FG kicker kick a chip shot, but lets the other guy try a 57 yarder. He needs to man up and take all the blame for this and get it off of a young kid who did nothing wrong.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 25 yard FG, it was the ball at the 25, which would make a 42 yarder for a guy who had missed 3 from right about that range and looked horrible doing it.
Of course the fans are idiots, but of course these are not legitimate actual death threats either.

Pathetic. You ask the guy to kick a 57 yard FG to win the game. Is the poor guy supposed to hit that is if it's some kind of chip shot FG?

They are harassing the guy who missed the first 3 FGs not the guy who missed the 5 yarder.

Moreover these guys dont even get paid for the games :mad:

Don't be so sure about that. As the joke goes,

Q: What happened when the Alabama football player signed his first NFL contract?

A: He took a pay cut.

Instant: Rimshot

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 25 yard FG, it was the ball at the 25, which would make a 42 yarder for a guy who had missed 3 from right about that range and looked horrible doing it.
Of course the fans are idiots, but of course these are not legitimate actual death threats either.

6:55 4th & 1, AUB13 T.J. Yeldon rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

The only thing I got wrong was the time left in the game. This was after the 99 yd TD and AL was up by 7. The FG would've been a 29 or 30 yarder to put them up by 10 with 6 min to play and momentum clearly on their side. If you were watching the game at that point it looked like AL was ready to turn it up a notch and close out the game. When we were watching this live we couldn't believe he was going for it and not kicking the FG. My son even said something like, "thats gonna come back and haunt them."

Also, Saban blows it on a bunch of levels here. If the kid had made the short FG (and a 30 yarder is short by anyone's measure), then he gets some confidence back, puts his team up and the misses are forgotten (mostly, especially if they win). Now he has a kicker getting death threats who probably doesn't want to step back on the field again. Way to go Nick.

The only thing I got wrong was the time left in the game. This was after the 99 yd TD and AL was up by 7. The FG would've been a 29 or 30 yarder to put them up by 10 with 6 min to play and momentum clearly on their side. If you were watching the game at that point it looked like AL was ready to turn it up a notch and close out the game. When we were watching this live we couldn't believe he was going for it and not kicking the FG. My son even said something like, "thats gonna come back and haunt them."

Also, Saban blows it on a bunch of levels here. If the kid had made the short FG (and a 30 yarder is short by anyone's measure), then he gets some confidence back, puts his team up and the misses are forgotten (mostly, especially if they win). Now he has a kicker getting death threats who probably doesn't want to step back on the field again. Way to go Nick.

I'm talking about the last time they had the ball before that 30 second drive ending in the FG debacle.

Going for a FG was the right call. The chances of hitting a 57 yarder are higher than a 102 yard return.

Chances of 102 yard return is zero if you don't attempt the FG.

Chances of 102 yard return is zero if you don't attempt the FG.

So eating healthy food is bad for you if you end up choking on it, got it.

Simply, I've never seen anything like that in my entire life as a sport's fan.

Simply, I've never seen anything like that in my entire life as a sport's fan.

That shouldn't stop you from second-guessing and questioning the coach that failed to anticipate it.

Ed Reed's done that once or twice hasn't he?

Dude was a stud a decade ago.

Good Memory, Brother Scrizz, though it's'is Partner, Christopher McAllister, that you're remembering!! This is one of my favorite Plays ever, back when I admired the Ravens and how they went about Business:

Ravens Chris McAlister 107 yard field goal return - YouTube

And it was a 57 Yarder!! Say what you will about Ray Lewis ~ and I'll almost certainly agree with you!! ~ but he threw one Hell of a Block on this Return!! I'm all about the Blocking, Baby!! :rocker:

If Auburn wins the SEC champ game they will jump OSU. Just watch.

Plus I don't think OSU will beat MSU.

They won't lose to Michigan State.

MSU beating OSU might have been the easiest money I have won this year. Like I said, OSU's D is a year away.

I hope the fraudulent liar doesn't have a mysterious heart condition like he did the last time he lost a championship game.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back