PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ATL@NE . FILM preview thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I hope our defenders actually TACKLE instead of jogging around or leaping in the air and falling down.

would it be better to split wider on the Line and have bigger bodies on edges to hopefully set better?

Let's start this week's film preview with #1 nemesis: ATL outside running game.

Here a great study with pics and vids by Mark Schofield:
Scouting Atlanta - Blocking Angles in the Running Game - Locked On Patriots
____

Let me add one reminder how it worked in SBLI:
(McClellin was the guy they easily removed from the edge here like you see in the article..)

Schofield has become another amazing resource in addition to Chatham. Great time to be watching the NFL if you want to understand X/Os.

Gotta dare them to run up the middle. They contained those runs overall very well in the super bowl particularly in the 2nd half. It can be done but you probably need to cheat a step to the outside on both sides and depend on your DTs to hold the middle.

Cooks was traded for partly due to the SB. The Falcons spammed Cover 1 & our WRs struggled to separate. With Gronk back & Cooks in the fold; I don’t expect much success from the Falcons simplified scheme.

I’m curious what others think here. Unless the OL collapses, the Pats offense should really feast this game.

Sanu is unlikely to play. That is actually a significant blow to both the running game and the quick "don't call it a pick" plays.

Just for information, the Falcons are running more inside zone and more straight pitch sweeps under Sark than they did under Shanny. If I see one more quick pitch to the weak side.... Miami ate our lunch on that and Sark kept calling it. Go figure.

Cooks was traded for partly due to the SB. The Falcons spammed Cover 1 & our WRs struggled to separate. With Gronk back & Cooks in the fold; I don’t expect much success from the Falcons simplified scheme.

I’m curious what others think here. Unless the OL collapses, the Pats offense should really feast this game.

The Falcons D has Trufant back and is just plain ole more consistent than they were last year. I don't think the Patriots are going to have much success to the outside. Most teams don't even try it. The Falcons, by scheme, allow easy passes to the slot, TEs, and RBs. Most teams just take it. Campbell is much much better this season in coverage (probably on Gronk to most). But Beasley is hurt to the point he shouldn't be on the field.

If the Patriots can consistently run the ball like they did late against the Jets, their chances of "feasting" go up. Of course, that is pretty much the same for every team against any opponent.

Dolphins were able to put a lot of pressure on Ryan and match the speed.
It will be interesting to see MP's game plan w/o that luxury..

The Falcons D has Trufant back and is just plain ole more consistent than they were last year. I don't think the Patriots are going to have much success to the outside. Most teams don't even try it. The Falcons, by scheme, allow easy passes to the slot, TEs, and RBs. Most teams just take it. Campbell is much much better this season in coverage (probably on Gronk to most). But Beasley is hurt to the point he shouldn't be on the field.

Jules will be even more sorely missed in this one..

Let's start this week's film preview with #1 nemesis: ATL outside running game.

Here a great study with pics and vids by Mark Schofield:
Scouting Atlanta - Blocking Angles in the Running Game - Locked On Patriots
____

Let me add one reminder how it worked in SBLI:
(McClellin was the guy they easily removed from the edge here like you see in the article..)

You see THIS is why this is such a great thread. I never heard of "locked on Patriots", and I just spent the last hour listening to a guy that could be a great resource when we want to know WHY something is happening.

Now I know guys who run sites, especially successful sites (that's you, @Ian) don't like directing people to OTHER sites. But I wonder if we could get a sticky or some other mechanism that would give us links to football nerd type stuff like this.

I would love to have a direct link to the stuff Chatham does. I already belong to Bedard's site. A I think other fans would too. The more knowledgeable we are, the better fans we become, and this only elevates the level of discussions we can have right here.

I'd be interested in hearing Ian's thoughts on this, so if any of you who have direct contact with him, I'd appreciate you reaching out with this suggestion.
BTW- I know I can always search these things out on my own, but I'm 70, lazy, and want all my internet interactions to be laid out for me. ;)

If the Patriots can consistently run the ball like they did late against the Jets, their chances of "feasting" go up. Of course, that is pretty much the same for every team against any opponent.

Oh yeah. Trufant. We each get a stud back. That guy is a beast.

So the Falcons game plan is essentially forcing the QB to go methodically down the field to RBs & TEs underneath? To us that just sounds like playing into Tom’s hands.

I love your D’s talent. You guys have made Rodgers look pedestrian the last two years. That scheme is just not smart for Brady. The Seahawks have three potential HOFers in their secondary & it still barely works.

Thanks for coming for some constructive discussion this week. A couple questions:

1) Is Riddick right in saying the Falcons scheme is too simple - requiring little margin for error?

2) Do you think the Falcons could shake it up defensively or will they be fine with Brady dink & dunking to White/Amendola/Gronk all the way down the field? The Chiefs & Jets have both had some success on D forcing the offense to attack down the field.

1) Is Riddick right in saying the Falcons scheme is too simple - requiring little margin for error?

That is one way to look at it. You could also say it is simple enough to allow the players to play fast. Still, we are actually playing a lot more man that most realize. Man defense is pretty simple, but if you lose....you lose.

2) Do you think the Falcons could shake it up defensively or will they be fine with Brady dink & dunking to White/Amendola/Gronk all the way down the field? The Chiefs & Jets have both had some success on D forcing the offense to attack down the field.

They will take both approaches. The Falcons, as a rule, will play a traditional Seattle 3 deep look and allow you to methodically move the ball until such time as you make one mistake or one run gets stuffed. This applies all the way down the field. Queue our late heart attacks against Detroit and Chicago. They allow the shrinking of the field to squeeze the offense into ever decreasing zones. This is Seattle Seahawks defense 101.

While doing this, they attack receivers hard in the short zones after the catch. You get 4-6 yards if you are willing to take the hits.

Now, if you ever make a mistake (drop a pass, get a 1st down run stuffed), Atlanta will almost certainly go into tight man looks, bring pressure, and switch on the crossing routes (like the "robber" play in the Superbowl). It will look like they are in man, but they will switch on crossing routes. Atlanta hasn't changed. They are still playing the same rules.

I don't think either team is going to outsmart the other. Both teams probably have a real good idea what is coming. The question will be who can execute their stuff the best.

Dolphins were able to put a lot of pressure on Ryan and match the speed.
It will be interesting to see MP's game plan w/o that luxury..

The Dolphins' front 4 tend to use a wide-nine alignment on a large percentage of their snaps (the DEs line up wider than in a traditional 4-3). This front increases the pass rush at the expense of making off tackle runs a bit easier.

The Patriots only do it in super obvious passing situations, e.g. the end of the Jets game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes