PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: The Patriots' Tight End Problem is Becoming Critical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peyton Manning had 28 Ints. as a rookie. It tales time for "maturity in the pocket" to develop. Be patient young Skywalker.
Peyton Manning as the first overall pick led the NFL in attempts for a terrible team and still managed to put up league average efficiency numbers while setting rookie records for TDs and yards. Stidham is a fourth rounder who hasn't done anything aside from throw bad picks. This comparison makes no sense, if Stidham was playing like 1998 Peyton Manning in limited action we'd be screaming from the rooftops for him to take over as the starter.

Becoming critical? We had Ben Watson out there last season as our option 1 after releasing him before there season. I'd stay we were code red a long time ago!

PITT drafts WR's better NE. [they clearly do]
Therefore, the patriots totally suck at drafting overall, and are one of the worst in the league. [totally untrue]

Is that your argument?
It's mine, that's for sure.

Lol Peyton was the first overall pick. Stidham is a 4th rounder in his second season.

Thank you for supporting patience. I did not even think of that. If the 1st overall pick struggled that much (through 20 starts), Stidham struggling in 3 mop up roles after no 1st team reps is very understandable. Good point.

Peyton Manning as the first overall pick led the NFL in attempts for a terrible team and still managed to put up league average efficiency numbers while setting rookie records for TDs and yards. Stidham is a fourth rounder who hasn't done anything aside from throw bad picks. This comparison makes no sense, if Stidham was playing like 1998 Peyton Manning in limited action we'd be screaming from the rooftops for him to take over as the starter.

I am not comparing players. I compared "maturity in the pocket". There is a difference. The only thing that "makes no sense" is posters on PatsFans who jump to conclusions.

Being nervous when playing in the NFL is common to everyone, especially to QBs. Listen to ANY ex-NFL player talking about their first game. It is a basic human emotion common to all whether they are a 1st Round pick or UFA. It takes time to overcome those emotions, some more than others based on personality not draft status. Stidham has three mop up roles with no 1st team preparation. If anything a first overall pick should be less nervous than a 4th round pick so we should be MORE patient.

Patience is a virtue. Very few people are virtuous. Says a lot about ...........

Stidham is unfortunately an interception machine. He isn't the answer.

I agree, he may never be the answer but he is young with the potential to calm down and improve. He has happy feet, with maturity and coaching they can possibly breed that out of him. Cam is an interception machine... what have we got to lose. Cam is who he is at 31.

I am not comparing players. I compared "maturity in the pocket". There is a difference. The only thing that "makes no sense" is posters on PatsFans who jump to conclusions.

Being nervous when playing in the NFL is common to everyone, especially to QBs. Listen to ANY ex-NFL player talking about their first game. It is a basic human emotion common to all whether they are a 1st Round pick or UFA. It takes time to overcome those emotions, some more than others based on personality not draft status. Stidham has three mop up roles with no 1st team preparation. If anything a first overall pick should be less nervous than a 4th round pick so we should be MORE patient.

Patience is a virtue. Very few people are virtuous. Says a lot about ...........

But this is Stidham's second season. Sometimes you just know. This kid doesn't have it. I don't even think he plays scared. Stidham is confident. He just confidently throws passes that are routinely intercepted at a very high rate, where he doesn't even see the DB.

I agree, he may never be the answer but he is young with the potential to calm down and improve. He has happy feet, with maturity and coaching they can possibly breed that out of him. Cam is an interception machine... what have we got to lose. Cam is who he is at 31.

I wish it was something like happy feet. It isn't. He's confident and literally does not see DB's, he CONFIDENTLY and with feet set, is a complete interception machine in the NFL. 3 INTs in 17 throws, 2 INTs were returned for TD. This is even worse than Rosen and Rosen had an absolutely pathetic pathetic last couple years (stop with all the excuses there too).

Sometimes you just know.

If you have this kind of foresight you should change careers and apply to be a NFL coach. Start at the bottom and work your way up. With such knowledge and insight you will be highly successful and very rich in 10 years. Congratulations to you. You are a very lucky person. I wish I had the inherent natural skill and knowledge you have.

I wish it was something like happy feet. It isn't. He's confident and literally does not see DB's, he CONFIDENTLY and with feet set, is a complete interception machine in the NFL. 3 INTs in 17 throws, 2 INTs were returned for TD. This is even worse than Rosen and Rosen had an absolutely pathetic pathetic last couple years (stop with all the excuses there too).
The guy bounces around like a live chicken in live game action. Sure, he looked great in preseason when the games didn't matter last year, but the moment he enters the game he pisses his pants.

Josh Rosen sucks, sucked before he was drafted and I said as much, not sure what Rosen has to do with anything?

The guy bounces around like a live chicken in live game action. Sure, he looked great in preseason when the games didn't matter last year, but the moment he enters the game he pisses his pants.

Josh Rosen sucks, sucked before he was drafted and I said as much, not sure what Rosen has to do with anything?

Sorry it was stream of thought, possibly because we were getting on a topic of other QB's who seemingly get a million excuses made for them over and over.

Stidham had no offseason. No ota! Not much of a training camp! No preseason games.

it is way to early to give up on him.

Sorry it was stream of thought, possibly because we were getting on a topic of other QB's who seemingly get a million excuses made for them over and over.
I get it and we're critical of Patriots players because our expectations built up from the last 20 years. That being said all the players already considered "busts" aren't necessarily there yet.

Harry couldn't get off the launch pad in 2019 and now has nobody to throw him the ball. Neither do the TE's or other WR's.

Stidham... he has looked bad, but he still has only attempted 27 passes in the NFL... mostly at the tail end of big losses. The small possibility that he could have a a-ha moment exists. I'd rather see him at this point than Cam, but Bill will give Cam every opportunity before he pulls the plug on this experiment.

I get it and we're critical of Patriots players because our expectations built up from the last 20 years. That being said all the players already considered "busts" aren't necessarily there yet.

Harry couldn't get off the launch pad in 2019 and now has nobody to throw him the ball. Neither do the TE's or other WR's.

Stidham... he has looked bad, but he still has only attempted 27 passes in the NFL... mostly at the tail end of big losses. The small possibility that he could have a a-ha moment exists. I'd rather see him at this point than Cam, but Bill will give Cam every opportunity before he pulls the plug on this experiment.

I don't know. I feel like you KNOW pretty quick. How many times has a Patriots player been a dismal failure for 2 years and become a star after year 3 ? More likely on a path to getting cut.

I remember Gronk and Hernandez their very first training camp, saw it in person. I remember Edelman, I think punt return TD the first time he touched it, I remember Rondo had an amazing steal put-back in his first 3 NBA games. Brady you could tell right off the very first game. Richard Seymour blocked a FG in his first 3 rookie games. You just know. With Harry and Stidham they don't have it.

I don't know. I feel like you KNOW pretty quick. How many times has a Patriots player been a dismal failure for 2 years and become a star after year 3 ? More likely on a path to getting cut.

I remember Gronk and Hernandez their very first training camp, saw it in person. I remember Edelman, I think punt return TD the first time he touched it, I remember Rondo had an amazing steal put-back in his first 3 NBA games. Brady you could tell right off the very first game. Richard Seymour blocked a FG in his first 3 rookie games. You just know. With Harry and Stidham they don't have it.
I wouldn't call Harry a dismal failure, he lost his rookie year to injury, he looked good this season with a wholly ineffective passer prior to Cam completely imploding. Stidham makes 2-3 good passes then the ball ends up in an opponents hands, he dances around the pocket like his feet are on fire. There is at least a small possibility he could gather some confidence and turn into an adequate passer, granted it's small but it's possible. With Tom Brady or even Teddy Bridgewater this offense, the TE's and weapons look substantially better right now. Cam's toast.

I wouldn't call Harry a dismal failure, he lost his rookie year to injury, he looked good this season with a wholly ineffective passer prior to Cam completely imploding. Stidham makes 2-3 good passes then the ball ends up in an opponents hands, he dances around the pocket like his feet are on fire. There is at least a small possibility he could gather some confidence and turn into an adequate passer, granted it's small but it's possible. With Tom Brady or even Teddy Bridgewater this offense, the TE's and weapons look substantially better right now. Cam's toast.

It's too early to call Harry a dismal failure for sure. But do you agree if he continues this trajectory he may be cut after this year?

It's too early to call Harry a dismal failure for sure. But do you agree if he continues this trajectory he may be cut after this year?

I think BB is acutely aware his QB situation is abominable.

If the Patriots use a high 1 on a QB next year or bring in a good free agent QB, Harry will still be the WR1. He gets paid 1.4 and 1.8 million over the next two years, that's nothing.

BB isn't a media member who has been aching for two decades to say "BB sucks," or a misanthropic Patriot fan who think all things Patriots sucks and who have been told for years that running QB's are the wave of the future and Cam is still an MVP.

BB watches film, he sees Harry, Byrd, Jules and the TE's wide open all over the field. It's why he didn't draft a bunch of weapons this past draft. The problem is under center, fix that and many of the weapons problems fix themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back