PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: The Patriots' Tight End Problem is Becoming Critical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would kill for the 2018 group with Edelman

James White seems like one of those special people with elite work ethic and would have succeeded no matter what. Brady loves the guy. So aside from James White, has the offensive coordinator actually developed anyone on offense ?? Seems like constant regression all hidden and masked by how good Brady and Gronk were.

I think it's the coaching. When every team worth its salt can have either one receiver or tight end developed how can we really fail?

How can everyone suck in every freaking game.. the odds make no sense.. i would like McDaniels to design plays to get in hands of harry and the tight ends . I think McDaniels was content with moving the chains with veterans and studs like edelman, gronk, amendola. And Brady having knowledge of system and routes was able to drop the precision dimes. When we lose these players not a single new player has emerged . Only saving grace is Malcolm Mitchell for one season...

Onus is on McDaniels to get receivers involved . And despite that if we suck , then let's look at retooling. For now we are not even giving them the chance to succeed.

I think it's the coaching. When every team worth its salt can have either one receiver or tight end developed how can we really fail?

How can everyone suck in every freaking game.. the odds make no sense.. i would like McDaniels to design plays to get in hands of harry and the tight ends . I think McDaniels was content with moving the chains with veterans and studs like edelman, gronk, amendola. And Brady having knowledge of system and routes was able to drop the precision dimes. When we lose these players not a single new player has emerged . Only saving grace is Malcolm Mitchell for one season...

Onus is on McDaniels to get receivers involved . And despite that if we suck , then let's look at retooling. For now we are not even giving them the chance to succeed.

There are video clips showing Asiasi has been open. Likely not the guy the play was called for. Would be good to get him some touches.

I would kill for the 2018 group with Edelman
Really?

The Pats had to sign quitter Josh Gordon. Gronk was struggling. The Pats clearly needed to do something at TE and WR in the off season, but the group got worse in 2019 and thats why Brady left.

Really?

The Pats had to sign quitter Josh Gordon. Gronk was struggling. The Pats clearly needed to do something at TE and WR in the off season, but the group got worse in 2019 and thats why Brady left.
I hear ya, but it's still > the 2019 & 2020 groups.

The Pats got real lucky that Gurley was hurt in the SB.
Really? It's football, injuries happen all the time. If your team revolves around the fortune of one player (besides the QB) not getting hurt, then you built a weak ass team.

Really?

I'm not sure how Brady could have saved the offense this year. Harry is still slow and Edelman still has a bum knee and the case of dropsies.

Really? It's football, injuries happen all the time. If your team revolves around the fortune of one player (besides the QB) not getting hurt, then you built a weak ass team.
You dont say.

Losing Gilmore would drastically change the NE defense for the worst. Weve seen the effects of the loss of David Andrews this season and last. Edelman is having a bad season, but he is still the Pats leading WR. Lose him and you will see a clown show at WR unless you believe that Gunner, Harry and the rest of the boys are suddenly going to morph into playmakers. The Pats have the 27th ranked passing offense already.

I'm not sure how Brady could have saved the offense this year. Harry is still slow and Edelman still has a bum knee and the case of dropsies.

Brady would've won the KC & Denver games at least...Moving forward, who knows about the rest of these games yet...

You dont say.

Losing Gilmore would drastically change the NE defense for the worst. Weve seen the effects of the loss of David Andrews this season and last. Edelman is having a bad season, but he is still the Pats leading WR. Lose him and you will see a clown show at WR unless you believe that Gunner, Harry and the rest of the boys are suddenly going to morph into playmakers. The Pats have the 27th ranked passing offense already.
Rumors are that we are trading Gilmore before the trade deadline.

Rumors are that we are trading Gilmore before the trade deadline.
Nothing would shock me.

Let me guess. For some broken down disappointing WR or TE, 2021- 2nd and 2022- 3rd. Playing chess while the others play checkers.

Nothing would shock me.

Let me guess. For some broken down disappointing WR or TE, 2021- 2nd and 2022- 3rd. Playing chess while the others play checkers.

I feel better about trading for a WR than McD's drafting. Although the Sanu trade was a bust. If it's for Gilmore would have to be for an all pro WR in return.

You dont say.

I'm not saying it wouldn't suck. I'm saying that it isn't "luck" if a team doesn't have a plan B in mind. The Patriots have had injuries going into SB's and mostly they have overcome them. Obviously it better when both teams are healthy and we get to see the best the NFL has to offer, but that isn't the norm. Next man up, BB plans for that better than most by not paying top dollar for "star' players. It's the best franchise ever due to this thinking and I will stand by it until it proves to be outdated or wrong.

Out of curiosity I thought it might be illuminating to look at the past before Gronk.

The 2011 Rams averaged 12 pts/game and were last 32/32 in total points scored. Their leading receiver in yards at the TE position, was Billy Balema with only 71 total receiving yards all year. McD was the OC.

While that offense was bad and had little talent, Hooman was not a WR and Lance Kendricks was not a fullback. Kendricks' robust 28 catch, 352 yard, 0 TD season led the way at TE and Hooman had 83 yards on 9 catches. Point remains though, McDaniels is a good play caller who should not be picking the personnel.

Zero targets and zero catches for any tight ends. Completely idiotic by McDaniels to put Asiasi inactive.

Pats remain last in the entire league in TE receptions.

Zero targets and zero catches for any tight ends. Completely idiotic by McDaniels to put Asiasi inactive.

Pats remain last in the entire league in TE receptions.

Dalton Keene caught a pass today. Last I checked he plays TE for your New England Patriots.

Last edited:
Dalton Keene caught a pass today. Last I checked he plays TE for your New England Patriots.

Thanks
I must have missed this one late in the game during garbage time. So update then the Pats have 7 total TE catches all year, not 6. Still dead last in the entire league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back