PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: The Patriots' Tight End Problem is Becoming Critical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BB is acutely aware his QB situation is abominable.

If the Patriots use a high 1 on a QB next year or bring in a good free agent QB, Harry will still be the WR1. He gets paid 1.4 and 1.8 million over the next two years, that's nothing.

BB isn't a media member who has been aching for two decades to say "BB sucks," or a misanthropic Patriot fan who think all things Patriots sucks and who have been told for years that running QB's are the wave of the future and Cam is still an MVP.

BB watches film, he sees Harry, Byrd, Jules and the TE's wide open all over the field. It's why he didn't draft a bunch of weapons this past draft. The problem is under center, fix that and many of the weapons problems fix themselves.

Re-explain ? Why is Harry still a WR1. At this point he's barely a WR4. He has't done anything to show he is a starting wide receiver.

Also your last paragraph makes zero sense. With Tom Brady last year the offense looked horrible the last 2 months. So I don't buy the myth that our WRs and TEs are actually great and that it's Cam's fault. Our WRs are probably league worst.

Re-explain ? Why is Harry still a WR1. At this point he's barely a WR4. He has't done anything to show he is a starting wide receiver.

Also your last paragraph makes zero sense. With Tom Brady last year the offense looked horrible the last 2 months. So I don't buy the myth that our WRs and TEs are actually great and that it's Cam's fault. Our WRs are probably league worst.
Because he can't throw and catch passes to himself.

Because he can't throw and catch passes to himself.

Right. So it makes no sense to try to claim that our WRs and TEs are open but that it's Cam's fault. Brady couldn't do it last year with these same scrubs. It's an epic talent development issue under the current OC the last 8 years ever since Bill O'Brien left (Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez were developed under O'Brien).

Right. So it makes no sense to try to claim that our WRs and TEs are open but that it's Cam's fault. Brady couldn't do it last year with these same scrubs. It's an epic talent development issue under the current OC the last 8 years ever since Bill O'Brien left (Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez were developed under O'Brien).
Every year you start over, you guys want people to repeat themselves here.

Brady was too injured to practice, he hadn't practiced with the rookies when they were pressed into service. Brady was also disgruntled the Patriots cut AB and got even more peeved when he pushed for Sanu and Sanu got hurt and sucked.

As far as this year goes, I wonder how the weapons can look decent for the first couple weeks then all of them mysteriously lose their talent all at once. So far nobody can explain this paradox, the serendipity of every single weapon failing simultaneously and all at once.

Oh wait, I cam...

Teams figured out Cam after week two, he is toast.

Last edited:
I think BB is acutely aware his QB situation is abominable.

If the Patriots use a high 1 on a QB next year or bring in a good free agent QB, Harry will still be the WR1. He gets paid 1.4 and 1.8 million over the next two years, that's nothing.
Do you mean that Harry will make the roster as one of our WR's. Or are you suggesting that Harry will be our #1 WR in 2021 ?

Becoming critical? Its been this way for two years. BB has screwed up here
He is still the GOAT coach

Every year you start over, you guys want people to repeat themselves here.

Brady was too injured to practice, he hadn't practiced with the rookies when they were pressed into service. Brady was also disgruntled the Patriots cut AB and got even more peeved when he pushed for Sanu and Sanu got hurt and sucked.

As far as this year goes, I wonder how the weapons can look decent for the first couple weeks then mysteriously all of them lose their talent all at once. So far nobody can explain this paradox, the serendipity of every single weapon failing simultaneously and all at once.

Oh wait, I cam...

Teams figured out Cam after week two, he is toast.

Because the game plan changed by the OC
Offense looked ok the first 3 weeks. Covid plus injuries

Becoming critical? Its been this way for two years. BB has screwed up here
He is still the GOAT coach

Belichick's screw-up has been overly trusting McDaniels for any draft decisions involving WRs and TEs, or assuming that McDaniels knows how to develop WRs or TEs. McDaniels absolutely does not and has a long record of having the worst TEs in the league on multiple different teams. He got a gift from heaven inheriting Gronk + Edelman + Hernandez from Bill O'Brien.

Because the game plan changed by the OC
Offense looked ok the first 3 weeks. Covid plus injuries
Or
Opposition stacked the box and dared the Pats receivers to get open

Or
Opposition stacked the box and dared the Pats receivers to get open

See the thing with that, is that Harris still ran awesome last game. The Pats running game is still good. So if you're saying they stacked the box and Harris still averaged 5.8 ypc, then why aren't we running 45 times a game ?

Do you mean that Harry will make the roster as one of our WR's. Or are you suggesting that Harry will be our #1 WR in 2021 ?
I labeled him WR1 based off snap counts, he'll be out there in 2021 health provided. Whether they have a QB worth a damn is another question.

I don't know about harry, but like Meyers and feel he can be like Hogan for couple of years . We just need to get lucky and hope one of our receivers over the next 10 games turn into a WR1. That is only possible if we have a pocket passer and that person is either stidham or hoyer. Cam probably is having some injury and that's impacting him big time.

Just nit sure why we are not rolling the dice with stidham for rest of season. Its a win win, if stidham miraculously develops we have got a franchisee qb and few receiver options sorted out. So with that we can at least start to compete. If he doesn't pan out, at least we can get a high draft pick and get one of the top 3 quarterbacks in 2021 draft.

I feel mentally stidham would have been a bit shot with all these changes. Going from starter to nit even backup and always playing from behind.

Give him 3 -4 games and see how he does.

It's actually a great opportunity to test the bench strength and identify keepers for next season.sometimes adversity brings out the best of people .

I labeled him WR1 based off snap counts, he'll be out there in 2021 health provided. Whether they have a QB worth a damn is another question.

Why would he be out there ? Being a first round pick doesn't mean he belongs there. It's far more likely Harry is cut after this season

Based off snap counts Byrd is WR1.

Bill, McD & Cam have no choice now but to use the TEs in the offense, including the rookies. Hell man put em on the field at the same time; the defense will be so flabbergasted seeing them both out there that one of them is bound to be Wide open...

See the thing with that, is that Harris still ran awesome last game. The Pats running game is still good. So if you're saying they stacked the box and Harris still averaged 5.8 ypc, then why aren't we running 45 times a game ?
Put Harris' SF stats into context.
In the first half he had runs of 5,2,3 (3.3 ave.)
The score after 2 quarters......23-3 San Fran
Is San Fran as worried about NE's run game in the 2nd half up 20, up 24, up 26?
"Let NE run, chew up the clock all they want.....entice them to".....and they did.
Sad result: NE managed another 3 points
Not to diminish the sweet runs by NE's best RB, but he gained his yards in garbage time while SF was in bend/don't break mode

Last edited:
Put Harris' stats into context.
In the first half he had runs of 5,2,3 (3.3 ave.)
The score after 2 quarters......23-3 San Fran
Is San Fran as worried about NE's run game in the 2nd half up 20, up 24, up 26?
"Let NE run, chew up the clock all they want.....entice them to".....and they did.
Sad result: NE managed another 3 points
Not to diminish the sweet runs by NE's best RB, but he gained his yards in garbage time while SF was in bend/don't break mode

Fair enough. But he's having a great rookie year

The QB situation is pointless when you have no weapons. Does cam newton suck, or is he a product of the team around him? I bet even mahomes would have trouble if byrd was his #1 receiver too.

We certainly were ready to say brady was done last year. And now he looks like he didnt miss a beat in Tampa with competent wide receivers.

Clearly Cam is no where near even 42 year old brady as he won't be anywhere near bradys numbers from last year. But this offense needs some serious talent injection at the skill positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back