PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: The Patriots' Tight End Problem is Becoming Critical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when we had Zeke Mowat with one arm in a cast at Tight End. He was still better than the clowns they have this season. Ah the good ole days...

Remember those 3 TE packages we had?
They were so cool because we could run and pass out of them. Yeah...those were cool.

I liked it when the opponent defense didn't know if we were going to run or pass. Not this offense with zero tight ends involved and 3 bad WRs constantly.

Some good info from jmt that warranted re-saving here:

Comparing tight ends, 2020 TEs to the 2019 group.

2020 Ranking - 2019 Ranking
1.) Ryan Izzo -------- Ben Watson
2.) Dalton Keene ---- Matt LaCosse
3.) TBD (zero stats) -- Ryan Izzo

The Pats have gone from bad to atrocious at Tight End. On Monday night they will probably be using an undrafted defensive lineman at the position, who played some TE in college (17 receptions in four years). The position has produced ten receptions for 122 yards and zero TD in seven games. It's never a good thing when your #3 option on a bad unit is elevated to starter.

Wide Receiver
Another topic that has been the wrath of armchair GMs this season - but rightfully so.

2020 Ranking --- 2019 Ranking
(Slot) Isaiah Ford -- Julian Edelman
1.) Damiere Byrd -- Phillip Dorsett
2.) N'Keal Harry --- Josh Gordon
3.) Jakobi Meyers - Mohammed Sanu
4.) Isaiah Zuber --- Jakobi Meyers
5.) Gunner Olszewski - N'Keal Harry

And another position that has gone from bad to atrocious. How can this group possibly be considered to be an improvement over 2019?

Let's see if there's a pattern. Harris is a beast buried by Michel , only played when Michel went on IR. Meyers is a beast, buried by Harry, only played when Harry on IR. Asiasi buried by Izzo..... if anything Asiasi should be really good given that McD is 100% wrong on who he thinks is a good player or a bad player

Turn those frowns upside-down folks; Jordan Thomas is on the way!

Chaaampionshiiip...

Had to come vent about the horrible TE management. BB had 2 offseasons to deal with Gronk's replacement. But they don't give any new guys a real opportunity. Izzo isn't bad. He gets open, and has decent hands. They just refuse to use him. We have no chance against BAL if we only throw to Byrd and Meyers, there has to be a TE threat of even the smallest. These 3 new acquisitions have ZERO experience in the NFL and won't pick up the offense this year, so I don't get the point. Just blockers. Horrible GMing the last 2 years by BB. Stupid moves with AB and Sanu that sunk our cap $ and wasted picks.

I don't know. I saw Izzo open at least 3 times and the ball went elsewhere. His blocking has not been terrible despite depictions on this board. It just seems he's to easy a target for nay sayers.

i'm not giving up on these guys yet. Harris and Meyers were buried for a year and a half and look at them now.

I don't know. I saw Izzo open at least 3 times and the ball went elsewhere. His blocking has not been terrible despite depictions on this board. It just seems he's to easy a target for nay sayers.
No, he's a borderline player who has been pushed into a starting role. It's not nay-saying that BB has criminally overlooked the TE position for years or has drafted TE's that can't play for one reason or another.

Had to come vent about the horrible TE management. BB had 2 offseasons to deal with Gronk's replacement. But they don't give any new guys a real opportunity. Izzo isn't bad. He gets open, and has decent hands. They just refuse to use him. We have no chance against BAL if we only throw to Byrd and Meyers, there has to be a TE threat of even the smallest. These 3 new acquisitions have ZERO experience in the NFL and won't pick up the offense this year, so I don't get the point. Just blockers. Horrible GMing the last 2 years by BB. Stupid moves with AB and Sanu that sunk our cap $ and wasted picks.

Yup. Just like the St Louis Rams offense McDaniels led which was last in TE receptions and dead last in points scored

At least they have finally counted noses at practice and saw only Izzo.

I think his blocking has been above average this season.

he struggles to get to the second level, but not everybody can block like gronkowski.

Trautman looked impressive against the Bucs. Good Hands, Breaks Tackles, Big Target, Productive in College. Picked after AsIRsi

I remember when we had Zeke Mowat with one arm in a cast at Tight End. He was still better than the clowns they have this season. Ah the good ole days...
I’m impressed. You remember the cast on his arm. I just remember the hand towel he tried to use as a covering. Those were the good ole days...

No, he's a borderline player who has been pushed into a starting role. It's not nay-saying that BB has criminally overlooked the TE position for years or has drafted TE's that can't play for one reason or another.
Check out Mike Reiss's left over thoughts tweet today.

I'm glad to see things I was calling out months ago have come to fruition and the team is improving. Meyers as the #1 receiver. Harris as the #1 RB.

A couple more insights:
- Winovich back makes a big difference. Now out of the doghouse from the penalty on JimmyG and missing a snap.
- Dugger played very well. They have him listed wrong at FS. He's a SS, played in the box and also covered their TE. He emerged this week.
- Brooks still has zero business playing on defense
- Izzy still has zero business playing so many snaps at TE. McDaniels needs to play Asiasi when he returns and get this kid into the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back