PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are We in for a Rough Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAllan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This team has absolutely pampered and coddled me with success during the BB era. It's hard to even remember missing the playoffs. However, as I look at this team:

Talib - Gone
Spikes - Gone
Edelperson - Gone?
Blount - Gone??
Wilfork - Gone?/Injured and Will Impact Games?
Gronk - Injured and Will Impact Games?
Amendola - Practically needs a signature series crash cart
Rookie WRs - Wildly inconsistent and possibly not starting quality
Mayo - Injured and Will Impact Games?

We thought we needed another CB before losing Talib, so now we basically need 2. For all the people saying Spikes was a liability in coverage, we're significantly weaker against the run now and need to replace the production somehow. Our WR corps is extremely deficient and may get worse if Edelman is gone. We need another TE, and I'd even consider 2 given we may never have a fully functional Gronk for a full season. If Blount goes, I'm not sure Riddler or Vereen are enough as one loves to fumble and another has health issues also...

I'm really having trouble envisioning anything but a year significantly tougher than last year. Maybe our toughest ever for Brady-led teams. Even with TFB, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me right now.

Am I being a downer and need more kool-aid or are y'all as worried as I am? I understand it's early in FA, but there's also very few moves to make in FA that will fill our needs. And we're not usually the bombshell trade guys. Drafting rookies won't result in replaced/improved production that first season for the most part by my line of thinking either.

What says y'all?

I hear the Pats already plan to to IR Brady before the season starts to save him for 2015. It is clear that 2014 is a lost year that they don't want to risk injury to him that could affect him for 2015. Twenty-three hours into free agency and the Pats are officially eliminated from Super Bowl contention.

A Revis signing turns the AFC into a 1A/1B race between the Broncos/Pats.

After everything that happened last season? Who knows. Everyone was thinking we were doomed in 2013, too, and wouldn't even make playoffs. Look what happened.

To early in the free agency process to say we will have a tough year. However, the defense could go back to struggling without a shut down corner. I wanted Talib but the risk wasn't worth the reward. I would feel better if the Pats signed a top tier corner but that train might have left the station. The team was going to get better by default because they have a bunch of talent returning from ir. Hopefully we can replace the players who leave via free agency.

This team has absolutely pampered and coddled me with success during the BB era. It's hard to even remember missing the playoffs. However, as I look at this team:

Talib - Gone
Spikes - Gone
Edelperson - Gone?
Blount - Gone??
Wilfork - Gone?/Injured and Will Impact Games?
Gronk - Injured and Will Impact Games?
Amendola - Practically needs a signature series crash cart
Rookie WRs - Wildly inconsistent and possibly not starting quality
Mayo - Injured and Will Impact Games?

We thought we needed another CB before losing Talib, so now we basically need 2. For all the people saying Spikes was a liability in coverage, we're significantly weaker against the run now and need to replace the production somehow. Our WR corps is extremely deficient and may get worse if Edelman is gone. We need another TE, and I'd even consider 2 given we may never have a fully functional Gronk for a full season. If Blount goes, I'm not sure Riddler or Vereen are enough as one loves to fumble and another has health issues also...

I'm really having trouble envisioning anything but a year significantly tougher than last year. Maybe our toughest ever for Brady-led teams. Even with TFB, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me right now.

Am I being a downer and need more kool-aid or are y'all as worried as I am? I understand it's early in FA, but there's also very few moves to make in FA that will fill our needs. And we're not usually the bombshell trade guys. Drafting rookies won't result in replaced/improved production that first season for the most part by my line of thinking either.

What says y'all?

If the Pats are not willing to free up some more salary cap money,
we are in for a meager year free agent wise.

I'm excited to see the 2014 pats....there will be some differences, I like that

I'm not a big fan of watching the same crap over and over and over again.....I'm also not a big fan of being the team to beat on March 12th

All I know is I'll be a fan of the team and watch every game. I look forward to seeing the team progress from OTAs to training camp to pre season and throughout the regular season.

The current roster is not championship competitive. Let's look again in Sept.

I hear the Pats already plan to to IR Brady before the season starts to save him for 2015. It is clear that 2014 is a lost year that they don't want to risk injury to him that could affect him for 2015.
They should cryogenics him for 2014 just to save what remains of his youth.

I'm a few more stupid Belichick decisions (or lack thereof) away from not watching a single game next season

(ex. drafting a no-name projected UDFA in the 2nd-4th round)

I'm a few more stupid Belichick decisions (or lack thereof) away from not watching a single game next season

Can we quote you on this in September? Go root for another team if your loyalty is that conditional.

Rough year? Hmmm... how many other teams' fans would trade players/management/FO with us right now? 25? 28? Maybe more?

"Rough year." Good grief. LOL

Sounds like another poster who was around last week. Haven't seen any complaining from him so I'm assuming he was banned.

Dump

/10.

If the Pats were able to endure last offseasons decimation of their receiving core+ the various injuries they sustained throughout the regular season, and still go 12-4, then I think that they'll do alright this year. Maybe we won't win the SB, but we're not going to do any worse than 10-6, which for most teams, would be a pretty successful season all said and done.

Gosh, how will the rest of us ever abide.

You should go back to being a Jets fan

The current roster is not championship competitive. Let's look again in Sept.

the same could be said on March 12th of most years

appearing to be championship competitive on March 12th is about as meaningless as it gets

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I am sure there will be someone to take your seat on the bandwagon when you jump off.

I'm sorry, but you are not a real fan if you stop watching because your team isn't active in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes