PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any thoughts on the tuck rule admission?

The PFT comments were going off on a tangent about no conclusive evidence to overturn the call of fumble on the field.

Seems like an easy reversal to me…there was no tuck. The ball may have slapped his left hand but that’s still not a tuck. By rule the reversal was required in that spot and Coleman did the right thing by rule.

At golf, maybe...
I turned on the radio early this morning and heard some guy trying to belittle Russell's accomplishments by bringing up the fact that there were less teams early in his career. Even if you put twice as many teams in the playoffs it only means one more series. The funny thing is that less teams also means more talented players on each team. There are probably more stiffs in the NBA now than Russell saw in his entire career.

It was a joke and there's no way he himself is in any better position to judge whether it was a fumble or wasn't. Kinda crazy people think this matters.

Brady never admitted it was actually a fumble, but that he never intended to throw the ball. He never said that the rule was called wrong. It was the correct call of a bad rule.

There are bad rules in the NFL. People need to get over it. I still think it is stupid that you can march 99 yards down the field and on a first and inches your RB fumbles the ball and because it goes out of bounds one inch inside the end zone, it is a turnover and a touchback for the other team but if it went out of bounds one inch before the end zone it you keep the ball and it would be second and goal. That is an awful rule, but that is the facts of life in football. BTW, the Pats were victim of this rule in a playoff game in Denver about a half decade later which played a big role in them losing the game.

And unfortunately for the Raiders in January of 2022, the rule was that if a QB arm is coming forward even if he clearly has no intention to throw the ball is still considered an attempt of a forward pass until he tucked it back into his body.

The rule was called correctly. It was a bad rule and it has been since removed from the rule books because it was a bad rule.
The only folks who couldn't get over it are Raiduh fans and supporters, like Jim Nance, the original Tuckhead. One of the best things about it is that it happened to a team that proudly wears the motto that if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin and it took a decade of crying to have it changed.

I'm wondering what the option should be when a player fumbles the ball at the one and it goes OOB thru the endzone. Put the ball back at the one?

A different note on this

I was sick that night, but of course glued to the TV. At that point, Boston hadn’t won anything in forever—nothing since the Celtics in the 80s.

It was cool the Pats were in the playoffs, but a Super Bowl victory felt like some far off dream. When Brady lost the ball, the feeling I had was just, “well, of course.” The feeling was SO familiar.

The the Pats kept the ball, and then Adam V made that kick, and they won, and all I could think after was that’s a game the Patriots lose. I couldn’t believe they won. Then the next 20 years happened.

That’s it, I have no point. That was just a great moment.

The only folks who couldn't get over it are Raiduh fans and supporters, like Jim Nance, the original Tuckhead. One of the best things about it is that it happened to a team that proudly wears the motto that if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin and it took a decade of crying to have it changed.

I'm wondering what the option should be when a player fumbles the ball at the one and it goes OOB thru the endzone. Put the ball back at the one?

The ball probably should be either where the player fumbles the ball rather than where it goes out of bounds or back to the previous spot. I still don't get the logic of that rule that if you fumble ball out of bounds through the end zone that you should lose possession.

I always thought it was roughing the passer as Woodson clearly strikes his helmet. Should of been 15 yards.

Brady never admitted it was actually a fumble, but that he never intended to throw the ball. He never said that the rule was called wrong. It was the correct call of a bad rule.

There are bad rules in the NFL. People need to get over it. I still think it is stupid that you can march 99 yards down the field and on a first and inches your RB fumbles the ball and because it goes out of bounds one inch inside the end zone, it is a turnover and a touchback for the other team but if it went out of bounds one inch before the end zone it you keep the ball and it would be second and goal. That is an awful rule, but that is the facts of life in football. BTW, the Pats were victim of this rule in a playoff game in Denver about a half decade later which played a big role in them losing the game.

And unfortunately for the Raiders in January of 2022, the rule was that if a QB arm is coming forward even if he clearly has no intention to throw the ball is still considered an attempt of a forward pass until he tucked it back into his body.

The rule was called correctly. It was a bad rule and it has been since removed from the rule books because it was a bad rule.
Let break down the "fumble into the end zone" thing for you.

Do you agree that the end zone is a special area of the field different from the rest of the field of play? Are there other rules that are different in the end zone that are different than elsewhere on the field?

A player who runs 99.99 yards and fumbles into this special area of the field carries with it a special infraction. You have to get the ball over the demarcation line into this special area in your possession. If you don't, since this is a special area of the field and not the regular field of play, a different, more serious penalty is applied.

Maybe you don't like the penalty. That's fine but the team committing the infraction should be rewarded for committing it.

The ball probably should be either where the player fumbles the ball rather than where it goes out of bounds or back to the previous spot. I still don't get the logic of that rule that if you fumble ball out of bounds through the end zone that you should lose possession.
Neither did the ref in Denver.

A different note on this

I was sick that night, but of course glued to the TV. At that point, Boston hadn’t won anything in forever—nothing since the Celtics in the 80s.

It was cool the Pats were in the playoffs, but a Super Bowl victory felt like some far off dream. When Brady lost the ball, the feeling I had was just, “well, of course.” The feeling was SO familiar.

The the Pats kept the ball, and then Adam V made that kick, and they won, and all I could think after was that’s a game the Patriots lose. I couldn’t believe they won. Then the next 20 years happened.

That’s it, I have no point. That was just a great moment.
Like the Hendersons

Mark on the tractor vs. the Dolphins

Gerald with the pickoff & layup vs. the Fakers

Dave in Game 5 ALCS @Anaheim 9th inning

And, "BERGERON! BERGERON! BERGERON!"

I turned on the radio early this morning and heard some guy trying to belittle Russell's accomplishments by bringing up the fact that there were less teams early in his career. Even if you put twice as many teams in the playoffs it only means one more series. The funny thing is that less teams also means more talented players on each team. There are probably more stiffs in the NBA now than Russell saw in his entire career.
By the 90's, the game was more antiseptic, and the league watered down.

I'm not belittling the Bulls and Lakers, simply pointing out that if you didn't screw up (like Ainge did letting Posey go in '08) doing a threepeat is much easier today.

Nobody repeated once after we did in '68-69, until Len Bias dropped dead in his dorm the night we drafted him.

Especially when you see the ferocity of the competition, what the Celtics did winning eight straight world championships is the most impressive team accomplishment in sports history.

And that's not hyperbole.

Like the Hendersons

Mark on the tractor vs. the Dolphins

Gerald with the pickoff & layup vs. the Fakers

Dave in Game 5 ALCS @Anaheim 9th inning

And, "BERGERON! BERGERON! BERGERON!"
All right, all right...

"DAVID ORTIZ! DAVID ORTIZ! DAVID ORTIZ!"

Gimme a break!

"It's hit to left, and Yastrzemski is out there, and he dives, and he MAKES A TREMENDOUS CATCH!!"
Exactly! Sports are entertaining, but it's THOSE moments that non-sports fans will never understand. There's nothing like it.

Exactly! Sports are entertaining, but it's THOSE moments that non-sports fans will never understand. There's nothing like it.
They get that we're happy and something exciting happened; and they get when something bad happened too. We should show compassion and empathy when stuff happens that affects them similarly (such as something seemingly silly like a soap opera), and hope for the same from them.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back