PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd have been cut before Thomas.

What an incredible turnaround in a single offseason. For much of last year, Chris Hogan was the Patriots' #2 wide receiver. I can't imagine he'd even make the roster now.

What an incredible turnaround in a single offseason. For much of last year, Chris Hogan was the Patriots' #2 wide receiver. I can't imagine he'd even make the roster now.

Hogan went without a catch against the Rams. He had 5 snaps as a WR, and 12 snaps on special teams. It's just one game, but that's not a promising start for his season.

Hogan went without a catch against the Rams. He had 5 snaps as a WR, and 12 snaps on special teams. It's just one game, but that's not a promising start for his season.

Time to retire. Nice career, but physically his legs have lost the burst

I think my point was made in reaction to the common wisdom that somehow adding an elite WR suddenly made us invincible. Part of it is a general reaction to my PERSONAL opinion that all WR's are vastly over rated in this FF era.

What do I base this on. Just 20 years of general observations of the most successful franchise in NFL history. What seems to get lost in this opinion is the fact that I'm FINE with having great receivers. And even though I say it over and over, it gets lost in translation. However trying to acquire great receivers at the EXPENSE of having good OL's and DL,'s and DB's etc is just plain stupidity.

AB's addition is fine because we AREN'T doing that. AB's acquisition only comes with a $5-6MM risk which is more than just a bargain for this season, its a fire sale. However if we choose to pick up his $20MM next year instead of reupping Thuney, I'd have a problem with that. But that is a discussion best left for next March.

But if we do encounter more OL injuries the "we'll just trade for someone" response isn't going to work. Any trades or acquisitions with this little cap space are going to be hard. I'm afraid what we got is what we have to run with for this season. And quite frankly, I'm not entirely comfortable with that passed the first 5 BTW- I'm STILL trying to figure out how we added the Jones and Brown contracts and ADDED cap room. Miguel has yet to inform me. ;)

BTW- It is fine to disagree with me. I don't want to give away any trade secrets, but JUST between you and me, I get it wrong sometimes. ;). It's just THIS is not one of those times.
I have a similar but slightly different take.
Good football players regardless of position have value and make you a better team. Aside from qb if you coach it well it doesn’t matter that much where your best talent plays.

People are fascinated by players who get yards and touchdowns and misunderstand them going their job well isnt significantly different than a more obscure guy doing his job well.

So WRs are as a group overrated.

What's stunningly beautiful is that, in the entire NFL, the Patriots possess the only Secondary that could stop the Patriots passing attack.

Let's all bask in the delicious warmth of THAT for a moment........

Last edited:
What's stunningly beautiful is that, in the entire NFL, the Patriots possess the only Secondary that could stop the Patriots passing attack.

Let's all bask in the delicious warmth of that for a moment........

And think about the Pats DB's that AREN'T on the roster that doing well like Ryan, Butler, Coleman, etc. The Steelers get a lot of pub for their ability to develop WR's; I'd like to see a few more articles on the Pats ability to find and develop quality DB's, especially in the lower rounds

I would have said Jacksonville too but after, uh, whatever the **** that was on Sunday, definitely not. Their safety position is a dumpster fire and the communication was so piss poor that you would have thought this was the first day of OTAs and they just installed a new defense.

I would have said Jacksonville too but after, uh, whatever the **** that was on Sunday, definitely not. Their safety position is a dumpster fire and the communication was so piss poor that you would have thought this was the first day of OTAs and they just installed a new defense.

I think that anyone who was worried that the Jags might pose a threat to the Patriots (or anyone else), feels more than just pretty damned good right about now.

I think that anyone who was worried that the Jags might pose a threat to the Patriots (or anyone else), feels more than just pretty damned good right about now.
Watching Jalen Ramsey whine through another year will be epic.

Reactions: PP2
Since your last couple of answers when it comes to AB contained impressive depth about what you like about him as a player I wonder what your response is to this:

If anything my instinct is that this is more a factor of the extended plays he often had with Big Ben and not because he is a inaccurate route runner. But maybe you have a better take on it.

I just don't buy it. He might not be the best rr in the game but he's absolutely up there.
I don't buy the claim, if there is one, that plays have to be extended or we bc Brown isn't where he's supposed to be or hes freelancing or we.

Ben is notorious for holding onto the ball throughout his career. That didn't start w Brown & wasn't a Brown issue at all.

The comments I made abt AB weren't my opinion. As Curran stated or someone can just look the up. Brown was very heavily targeted over the last half decade. He's coming from an offense where he made a ton of plays after the initial play broke down.

That's not why he was successful. It was just the situation he was coming from. If Brown wants to he could fit in w any team & be a big contributor day 1. Hes that good.

Practices must be fun as heck

yup

Brady had the same conclusion in camp, before the joint practices. Brady thought that this offense needed lots and lots of work, and wouldn't be 100% until the bye.

Then he had joint practices and found that the offense had no trouble having their way with the opponents.

Brady then had the aha moment. Our defense is AWESOME!

Supposedly Brown rolled up in Brady’s Rolls Royce

And think about the Pats DB's that AREN'T on the roster that doing well like Ryan, Butler, Coleman, etc. The Steelers get a lot of pub for their ability to develop WR's; I'd like to see a few more articles on the Pats ability to find and develop quality DB's, especially in the lower rounds
I made this point last week. DB's, OL & QB. Say what you want abt the QBs that have come through here but NFL teams can't stop giving them money.

Our coaches too. Say what you will but teams line up for them.

You see more extreme views when people only watch NE football. Everything gets magnified. Those same people dont know that Pitt is still looking to replace James Harrison, Ike Taylor & Troy P years & years later.

Also I definitely think development has a lot to do w it but also certain teams have just nailed what they like from certain positions. So when they see a prospect a light goes off but for we reason just havent been able to transfer that success to other positions.

Supposedly Brown rolled up in Brady’s Rolls Royce
You have got to be kidding me.

This cat takes the term "over the top" to a whole new level

Moron alert!!!!!

Evidently, a) Rob Parker ISN'T the dumbest man on his show and b) it was the PATRIOTS who tampered with Darelle Revis (who knew?).:D

4:09

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes