PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they're not similar. One is a civil suit, the other is a criminal matter. Brown's is CIVIL. Understand the difference.

I didn’t claim they were a similar lawsuit, I just said what schefter said - that brown could be put on the commissioners exempt list while the investigation takes place.

Similar situation in regards to being put on the exempt list while being investigated even though the type of lawsuit is different.

When the actual statute is vague prior cases don't matter. The commissioner could easily say "the player is involved in a federally filed lawsuit that asserts a serious sexual crime which would be conduct detrimental to the league. Due to this unusual circumstance, we place him on the exempt list".
Did AB steal your lunch money?

Right, but if the press release is correct, what could the league possibly determine by "investigating" a civil suit? It doesn't make sense.
yes it does. The league looked like a fool during this whole AB saga. Now it must act. What action? does not matter. but it must do something or other 31 teams will cry. Just like the whole Deflategate saga.

Too bad Kraft is in jail after what happened in Florida and the league forced Jonathan to take over the team. I hope the Patriots can beat Miami - their leading receiver is pretty shifty. It's unfortunate the Patriots had to cut him back in 2011.
This is dumb. My post was in reference to possibly getting something in a trade for him. For that to happen he would have had to burn his bridges with 3 teams in the span of a few months and he has uncertainty. He's not yielding much trade value

With today’s zeitgeist the NFL had to announce they are “investigating” this or they’d be crucified in the media (especially after how badly they botched the Rice case, the NYG punter case, etc.)

Now what that investigation actually is is a whole ‘nother story. It could be Goodell looking to screw NE again or it could be basically doing nothing until the court case actually gets rolling and people get to see what the evidence on both sides is.

Finally, if AB/Rosenhaus really didn’t give NE any heads-up at all that AB was having problems with this woman, that’s not good and I can’t imagine BB will be pleased with not being told. Sure, AB may well have had no idea a lawsuit was coming, but he damned well should have told the team someone was trying to extort him and there was probably trouble brewing on that front.

When the actual statute is vague prior cases don't matter. The commissioner could easily say "the player is involved in a federally filed lawsuit that asserts a serious sexual crime which would be conduct detrimental to the league. Due to this unusual circumstance, we place him on the exempt list".
What state did this supposedly occur in? Why is it a “federally filed” lawsuit?

If he does not practices tomorrow, I don't know how this will pan out in the long season here. It may be over before it started. It will be a shame if he is innocent.

She’s an accuser who may in fact be a victim.

Which means you should refer to her as an accuser...

I don't know why you think you have proven otherwise, but I can assure you that you have not.

I may be a victim. You don't call me one until you know for sure what I am a victim of. You refer to them as an accuser. It's real easy.

Last edited:
This still leaves the door open for he said/she said situations. Personally, I like having video/photo/audio evidence. If my home/car has a camera, I will always have an alibi.
You should just use a surrogate for sex and I am available at a very reasonable fee.

AB, if you are innocent, this is the time to have all your recordings and taping of other people on point. Public opinion on this has already crossed the atlantic ocean enroute to Northern Europe, you barely have socks on to start the chase.
If his lawyer lets him do that his lawyer should be fed to a woodchipper for incompetence in the first degree.

Did AB steal your lunch money?
Dude AB is one of my favorite players legit. I just care about this team more. We quite frankly don't need him and this has the potential to be a mess that hovers over this team.

The requirments for the exemption list are legit "unusual circumstances". That's the threshold. People saying "well so and so got on it for a criminal case and this is civil" are trying to find an out that does not exist with in the framework of the clause.

With today’s zeitgeist the NFL had to announce they are “investigating” this or they’d be crucified in the media (especially after how badly they botched the Rice case, the NYG punter case, etc.)

Now what that investigation actually is is a whole ‘nother story. It could be Goodell looking to screw NE again or it could be basically doing nothing until the court case actually gets rolling and people get to see what the evidence on both sides is.

Finally, if AB/Rosenhaus really didn’t give NE any heads-up at all that AB was having problems with this woman, that’s not good and I can’t imagine BB will be pleased with not being told. Sure, AB may well have had no idea a lawsuit was coming, but he damned well should have told the team someone was trying to extort him and there was probably trouble brewing on that front.
Rumor has it that the team was not made aware. Whether they are just saying that...who knows. I doubt they’d acknowledge “oh yeah we knew we were signing a guy who might have committed sexual assault”.

Well, the league will hire investigators, and demand that Brown provide them with all information. The league will also ask the woman to provide them with all the information that she has. The investigation will check into the info and claims, via 3rd parties, documentary evidence, and the like. And, then, Goodell will rule based upon whatever the hell he feels like, as he's shown time and again.
Maybe I'm just tired at the moment, but I can't recall anything like this entering the league's investigatory purview independent of law enforcement involvement with the player.

If Goodell's motive to put Antonio Brown on his exempt list is to give KC the upper hand over the Pats in the AFC, then he is doomed to failure with that. With or without Brown, the Patriots are easily odds on favorites to win AFC. Aside from Brown, what they did to Pittsburgh two nights ago, without Van Noy, Damien Harris and N'Keal Harry should depress the entire league.

Hopefully, the truth comes out and justice is served either way. But football-wise, there's nothing I can see (other than a huge spate of injuries) that can derail the Patriots this year from the Super Bowl. .

Yep, difficult to derail this train, much like 2016 and the bogus TFB suspension. That team would have been 15-1 and a goal line play away from 16-0.

Too bad Kraft is in jail after what happened in Florida and the league forced Jonathan to take over the team. I hope the Patriots can beat Miami - their leading receiver is pretty shifty. It's unfortunate the Patriots had to cut him back in 2011.
You have already disliked all my opinions anyway, so my probably failed attempt at a context argument...

Is there anything to the Pats in 2011 already knowing Julian as a person for 2+ years and standing by him through an allegation vs knowing Antonio Brown for ~2 days?

For the record I don’t think any team or league disciplinary action is even anywhere close to warranted at this point with AB, just that it is worth evaluating the signing with regard to the amount of drama inherited and/or locker room stigma with the existing players.

If he does not practices tomorrow, I don't know how this will pan out in the long season here. It may be over before it started. It will be a shame if he is innocent.
He will practice tomorrow and play Sunday.

If he doesn't show up for practice, he will be released.

But he will show up to practice.

If his lawyer lets him do that his lawyer should be fed to a woodchipper for incompetence in the first degree.
I am talking about savings of text messages and stuff from the girl.

I may be a victim. You don't call me one until you know for sure what I am a victim of. You refer to them as an accuser. It's real easy.
Relax, guys. You’re both right that I should’ve referred to her as the accuser and not a victim, but that shouldn’t take away from the main point, either.

At times, that is a tough line to define. The attorney demand letters often provide unpleasant details, but are acceptable if the details would naturally arise in the course of proposed litigation. If the unpleasant detail is irrelevant (e.g., threatening to disclose an affair in a product liability case to facilitate a settlement) then it is likely extortion.

This article likely offers more than you are looking for with the ethical rules, but provides some case illustrations on that murky line.
Any significance to this being a federal lawsuit instead of a state one?

With all of this distraction I doubt brown will suit up Sunday. We don’t need him against Miami but it would of been good practice for him to build chemistry with Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down