PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown wants to be traded

@supafly

As someone in Pittsburgh who seems to know the Steelers pretty well, what is your take on all the turds they end up with, particularly their superstars? Do they draft guys with huge ego problems to begin with, or do they become ingrained in a hero-worship culture and become corrupted?

@supafly

As someone in Pittsburgh who seems to know the Steelers pretty well, what is your take on all the turds they end up with, particularly their superstars? Do they draft guys with huge ego problems to begin with, or do they become ingrained in a hero-worship culture and become corrupted?

They have a ‘players coach’ who is ‘fun to play for’ and has no backbone. And he himself is pretty full of himself. Recipe for disaster and its all catching up now.

@supafly

I blame the organizational culture more. This is the long term result of having a coach who tries to be the players' friend. Once the wins aren't coming in and contracts are at stake, guys realize all the rah rah **** and dumb platitudes don't actually mean anything and go off the reservation.

Putting yourself in Brown's shoes, on one hand he's making $17M per year so it's hard to be too pissed. But OTOH he's definitely making below his market value, so even if he's not mad about his contract he also probably doesn't feel like the team did him some kind of favor by giving him that contract. Now look at the Bell situation: this team basically announced its intention was to franchise Bell twice, run him into the ground, and then let him walk. Yeah they have the right to do that under the CBA, but that's a pretty overt **** you to a guy who's given them a ton of performance on a rookie contract.

And how did the locker room respond to that? The offensive line started jerking each other raw over how they're the real talent that's getting everyone else paid, and as long as they're around it doesn't matter who your RB is anyway since again they're the engine making this whole operation go. If you were a positional player hearing this, wouldn't you be pissed? Like, if a receiver grabbed a mic and said "**** linemen, they just stand there while we make all the plays" everyone would recognize that as being toxic, divisive ********, so when DeCastro and Foster say pretty the OL-centric equivalent of course it's going to piss people off. There's a reason why you didn't hear anyone outside of the OL circlejerk echoing that sentiment in the Steelers' locker room.

So if I'm Brown, what I see is that I just turned 30, I'm making less than my market value, I have no idea if I'll get a chance at another real contract because the team may well just do to me what they're currently doing to Bell once my contract ends, and by the way we're winless through 2 weeks in large part because Bell is holding out, and a bunch of guys on the offense are beating their chests about how they're the real talent and guys like Le"Veon and (implicitly) me are overpaid and underappreciative. And my QB if well into the Brett Favre stage of his career, publicly warning everyone that every season he plays might be his last, and that he basically already has at least half of one foot out the door. I'd probably be interested in getting traded too.

Last edited:
This is my first foray into this thread, and I only clicked on it because I was puzzled that it's survived this long. The reason I'm puzzled is that I happened to catch a retweet of the original Twitter exchange at the time it happened. It seemed so inconsequential to me that I didn't really pay attention to who Brown was responding to, or to what the tweet that was calling Brown out was in response to.

The gist of the part of the exchange that I saw read (to me) something like:

--- "Antonio, you wouldn't be nearly as successful as you've been if you hadn't been with the Steelers!"

Brown shot back with:
-- "Oh, yeah?! Well trade me then, and see how I do somewhere else!"

Short version:
-- "You're not that good!"
-- "F**k off, troll!"

I mean, my recall, and/or interpretation could be way off, but it seemed to me perfectly clear to me at the time that Brown wasn't demanding a trade so I stopped paying attention. Meanwhile, the situation has apparently blown up to the point where Brown's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, felt compelled to make the following statements today:

"The tweet yesterday was not in reference to anything other than Antonio responding to a person he knows. It was not directed towards a trade, or wanting to be trading. Any idea he was asking for a trade is not accurate.”

“Antonio had a personal matter. I talked to the team about it. His issue was unrelated to the tweet or his relationship with the team. Third, AB has an incredible drive to win. He just wants to win. That's all that that is.”

“That's not anything more than him encouraging his coaches and teammates to win. And that's what his entire focus is on. Any notion, any speculation otherwise, can be put to bed. This is a non-story that has been blown out of proportion. We can end this right here and now."

This is my first foray into this thread, and I only clicked on it because I was puzzled that it's survived this long. The reason I'm puzzled is that I happened to catch a retweet of the original Twitter exchange at the time it happened. It seemed so inconsequential to me that I didn't really pay attention to who Brown was responding to, or to what the tweet that was calling Brown out was in response to.

The gist of the part of the exchange that I saw read (to me) something like:

--- "Antonio, you wouldn't be nearly as successful as you've been if you hadn't been with the Steelers!"

Brown shot back with:
-- "Oh, yeah?! Well trade me then, and see how I do somewhere else!"

Short version:
-- "You're not that good!"
-- "F**k off, troll!"

I mean, my recall, and/or interpretation could be way off, but it seemed to me perfectly clear to me at the time that Brown wasn't demanding a trade so I stopped paying attention. Meanwhile, the situation has apparently blown up to the point where Brown's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, felt compelled to make the following statements today:

"The tweet yesterday was not in reference to anything other than Antonio responding to a person he knows. It was not directed towards a trade, or wanting to be trading. Any idea he was asking for a trade is not accurate.”

“Antonio had a personal matter. I talked to the team about it. His issue was unrelated to the tweet or his relationship with the team. Third, AB has an incredible drive to win. He just wants to win. That's all that that is.”

“That's not anything more than him encouraging his coaches and teammates to win. And that's what his entire focus is on. Any notion, any speculation otherwise, can be put to bed. This is a non-story that has been blown out of proportion. We can end this right here and now."
Yeah, I didn't think the tweet really mattered. Not showing up today, OTOH, could be a red flag.

Dream scenario

2018/2019
Bell signs with another team
Brown traded
Big Ben retires

I think I'm going to head over to SteelerFans.com and read up.

Is that the Steelers board where the word f**got is used in a thread title, or the one where the word c*nt is used in a thread title? I get those Steelers boards confused.

Dream scenario

2018/2019
Bell signs with another team
Brown traded
Big Ben retires

I’d rather see Ben go down in a 2-3 year whimper whereby he is exposed as a mediocre QB who has always had an all-world weapons but is otherwise not that great.

They shouldve traded bell and brown to some sucker team for a few #1 picks , handled the PR hysteria and drafted players to replenish and cheaper. Instead they get headaches without any results either.

@supafly

They have a ‘players coach’ who is ‘fun to play for’ and has no backbone. And he himself is pretty full of himself. Recipe for disaster and its all catching up now.
I think this sums it up quite nicely, as well as FTW’s quote, too. They don’t seem to be an organization who pride themselves on caring about a player’s attitude or holding them accountable.

When AB gave his 10,000 dollar donation to Children’s Hospital, he showed up over 5 hours late. You just wouldn’t see something like that in NE. I also know someone who works in the medical field who scrambled to try and get his kid in on 3 separate occasions, only to have AB no-show all 3 times, without even a phone call or anything.

That said, the city will embrace them all when they start to win games again, which shouldn’t be too hard in the AFCN division.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back