PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post another late night rant

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Willed a team that Vegas projected to win 9+ games…to 7-9? How does one will a team to less wins than expected?

When was the 9+ game win projection made by Vegas? Did it account for the Hightower, Chung, and Cannon opt-outs? Did it account for Edelman missing 90% of the season?

I don’t recall the opt-out timeline, but the Edelman injury was a considerable blow - even as a walking corpse during the 2020 season, he really helped Cam when he was out there.

When was the 9+ game win projection made by Vegas?

It was 9.5 in May. After Covid, it dropped to 9 (and 8.5 in a few books), just before the season.

You're laughing, but the Patriots got Cam to his best completion percentage in his career with only one threat at receiver and 0 tight ends.
Yep. What we saw out of Cam was true greatness........you were joking, right?

Yep. What we saw out of Cam was true greatness........you were joking, right?

He’s simultaneously praising Bill for Cam’s completion pct while blaming all of the team’s failures on Cam. It’s absolutely amazing. The level of self-delusion here is off the charts. It seems like satire, but it isn’t.

You're laughing, but the Patriots got Cam to his best completion percentage in his career with only one threat at receiver and 0 tight ends.
It was literally his worst year. lol As I said...a team who had not had a losing record in 19 years, and 7-9 is amazing

Vegas is the great prognosticator now? In the hands of a lesser coaching staff, thats a 2 win team
Yes that is why they have all those big buildings, knowing what is going on in the NFL. So they went from a 12 win team to a 2 win team? lol

I mean there was flat out some dredful things on offense for awhile. That 2006 receiving corp might have been the worst I have ever seen. First round draft pick backs were fizzle. We could not draft a player in the second round that would not bust out. Tavon Wilson? Remember that prize? 33rd overall pick, and he was projected as a 7th and guess what, he played like a 7th. Who was the DT they drafted in the first round that had no acl's left? Ras-I?
Ras I Dowling was a CB and the Pats had the 1st pick in the 2nd round of the draft. Keep in mind, they had all night to think about this pick getting a break from the first round the night prior and they took a guy with torn ACL’s. This was the type of pick the Raiders are taking now.

When you look back at their playoff loses until 2014, you can point to an area of their roster that was weak, wasn’t addressed or the wrong guy was taken which eventually got exposed.

The fact is many draft picks that the Pats failed on were brushed to the side because they were still finding was to win in the regular with core players from prior years picking up the slack. However, they can only do so much and that’s why they eventually came to a halt in the playoffs.

To be fair, Arians is a clown. But, dude has a track record of being a pretty solid coach. Not sure why folks would think too negatively on him. He has led a team to a SB before Brady.

It still blows my mind that people thought Brady was going to FL to wither and die. That team was pretty damn stacked before he got that there. You add the GOAT QB and oh boy. A great player will always make the biggest difference on the field, but a great coach creates the culture and builds the team. So, it’s hard to say. If Brady was surrounded by **** talent in TB last year, I guarantee he wouldn’t have won the SB. Same with Bill, if he had his team stacked with talent right now, doubt Brady would’ve made much of a difference. Plenty of teams make it to the SB every year without him.
Btady went to a stacked team, and added AB, and Leonard Fournette. If BB went to coach the Chiefs and brought Chase Young and Gilmore, he would probably win a Super Bowl.

To be fair, Arians is a clown. But, dude has a track record of being a pretty solid coach. Not sure why folks would think too negatively on him. He has led a team to a SB before Brady.

Huh? He never made it to the SB when he was with the Cardinals or when he was the temp coach of the Colts?

Btady went to a stacked team, and added AB, and Leonard Fournette. If BB went to coach the Chiefs and brought Chase Young and Gilmore, he would probably win a Super Bowl.

1632634627945.png

Huh? He never made it to the SB when he was with the Cardinals or when he was the temp coach of the Colts?
Well, **** me. It was that other Steelers Assistant, Whisenhunt. Thanks.

Well, **** me. It was that other Steelers Assistant, Whisenhunt. Thanks.
pizzed off Whisenhunt...oh, I'm scared now Ken...dork

ken-whisenhunt-horjpg-82dc007452925799.jpg

Yes that is why they have all those big buildings, knowing what is going on in the NFL. So they went from a 12 win team to a 2 win team? lol
They have big buildings because people are addicted to gambling and they make their money on the spread. It has nothing to do with their ability to predict the future

Great coaches find great players, a consistent theme in all sports.
With a cap there's a limit on how many great players a team can carry. That's why I like Bill's method of spreading the wealth around and having a deeper roster. I just don't agree with losing the greatest QB ever.

I know that you’re not denigrating Brady. My issue is the reasoning around this hypothetical stuff. Your take is better than most of them, but I still strongly disagree with the thought process.

Brady went to Michigan, and after moving up the depth chart by his junior year, suddenly freshman Drew Henson, the #1 QB prospect in the country, became the 1A starter breathing down Brady’s neck; boosters pressured Carr to play Henson. Brady platooned both seasons despite being much better than Henson. That was cited as a major reason Brady dropped in the draft.

It would be easy to play the what-if game right here. If Henson chooses any other school, Brady is a much higher rated prospect.

But it doesn’t stop there. He gets drafted into the NFL in the late rounds, mainly due to the unlucky Henson situation, to a team that already has three quarterbacks, including a consensus top-5 franchise icon, and should he get a chance, he’s going to have to lead an offense with no pro bowl talent. The team was 5-13 and averaged 17 ppg in the games he was on the sidelines as a backup.

This is why the what-if game with Brady is absurd. He was dealt such a bad hand as it was, and he came out of it as the winner. So shifting to “What if he was drafted by the Colts or Eagles or Browns” seems to greatly miss the point. He was already in one of the most against-all-odds scenarios possible.

Between Henson sinking his draft value and then being drafted into what amounts to a worst case scenario due to the Patriots QB situation, the idea of theoretically raising the bar even higher seems like a bizarre idea.

Brady was going to make it. He wasn’t lucky. Inches didn’t decide this. It was going to happen. The only questions were when, where and how. We know this is hindsight, and that’s fine. Brady is one of the biggest outliers in sports history. His determination, confidence, and relentlessness is almost impossible to describe. He was always going to be great.
Brady was also prophetic when he told Kraft that drafting him was the best decision the team ever made. Brady knew even if nobody else did.
Now, sadly, letting Brady go was the worst decision the team ever made.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back