PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post another late night rant

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Its the spoiled fan mantra. Hey thanks for winning 6 superbowls, why didnt you win 12. Hey Montana those 4 superbowls are great, but you played 14 years why didnt you win in those 10 years?
Is that what I think?

This post is a perfect example of a stilted prism through which to view the world.

Brady came in because someone got hurt - CHECK, exactly as I said...and he wouldn't have had that chance on the Colts with a healthy Manning, or on a bunch of other teams with healthy starting QBs. Guys get drafted at QB in later rounds to hold clipboards, and most go through their tenure of 1-4 years doing nothing but. And how many teams kept 4 QBs?

Of course, Brady didn't play bad when he got that chance, correct, but neither did he light the world on fire (how's Gardner Minishew's career going?), Don't give me this myth-making nonsense. Go look at the 2001 game logs:

You think he'd have lasted after the 4 int Denver game on any other team if the starting QB came back from injury? Really?

When you produce a HoF QB that lasts for 20 years, you probably don't have many other chances, you know? And several New England backups have had decent careers elsewhere.

And yes, he had something special, and as I said, he had coaches who SAW THAT SOMETHING. That, too, is never a guarantee. Michigan?

Of course Brady had something - I said that.

I didn't say the coach made the QB. Nor did I even hint that Brady didn't take full advantage of the opportunity he got. He's one of the great success stories of our time, and is spoken of next to guys like Jordan and Russell, correctly. But guess what? It took circumstances beyond Brady's control to even get that opportunity.

That's the beauty of it all, by the way, and not the criticism. Look at the razor edge between dynasty and meh. What happens if they don't call the tuck play in '01 and the Pats melt down in '02 as they did? What happens if Bledsoe's ready to come back after the Denver game? What happens if Bledsoe never gets hurt? Does BB really dump a healthy $100million QB? Does Kraft let him?
For one, you are comparing stats of a QB in 2001 to now, that is stupid. Second. Here was the difference....they were winning. Winning, that key word. Winning means you leave the player in that is doing that...its not a genius move, its the only move. Now unless you want to call Bill a liar, he flat out said in his book that Brady would have taken over for bledsoe becuase he was better and the only thing that kept Brady out was inexperience which again, things were a lot different in 2000 than now. So to say Brady would never have taken over if Bledsoe didnt get hurt, is saying Bill is lying.

Is that what I think?
Its what was said, I do not really care what you think. I go by what someone posts and respond. Saying h we went 9 years without winning a title in a 2 decade period of winning 6 as being some horrid thing is the most spoiled stupid fan **** there is.

So you also feel that if Brady didn't get drafted by Bill he wouldn't have made a team? I can see that take at the time but not after watching Brady play for 20 years.

If you saw the post I responded to you'd see that I was responding to the poster who claimed that taking a QB over a coach is foolish.

I too know that it was a perfect storm to get the GOAT HC and the GOAT QB for 20 years. But Brady should have been able to finish his career here.

The next time I pay to see a coach will be the first. I like sports because of the players and that won't be changing. When I went to the Garden the watch Bill Russell I didn't notice Red.

Again with the dream scenarios and the what ifs, this time with Brady joining Indy. The facts are that Brady helped take this team to a SB win in his 2nd year and two more in his 4th and 5th, not years later.

Personally, I don't listen to or read the Boston media (though I do grab a Herald now and then) and I'm a Pats fan first and foremost. And I certainly don't feel like this is a fight.

My only negative about the Brady loss is that the Pats didn't have an option at QB when he left. That tells me that Tom caught them by surprise. Any thoughts on why that was?
I don't think the bad season last year was due to Tom surprising as much as it being a year BB realized was necessary to reset the table. Nobody really foresaw Brady playing this well at 44. I expected something to happen to him like what just happened to Fitzpatrick. I don't fault BB at all for moving on, you can't make a sustainable plan that hinges on a QB who's that age.

This post is a perfect example of a stilted prism through which to view the world.

Brady came in because someone got hurt - CHECK, exactly as I said...and he wouldn't have had that chance on the Colts with a healthy Manning, or on a bunch of other teams with healthy starting QBs. Guys get drafted at QB in later rounds to hold clipboards, and most go through their tenure of 1-4 years doing nothing but. And how many teams kept 4 QBs?

Of course, Brady didn't play bad when he got that chance, correct, but neither did he light the world on fire (how's Gardner Minishew's career going?), Don't give me this myth-making nonsense. Go look at the 2001 game logs:

You think he'd have lasted after the 4 int Denver game on any other team if the starting QB came back from injury? Really?

When you produce a HoF QB that lasts for 20 years, you probably don't have many other chances, you know? And several New England backups have had decent careers elsewhere.

And yes, he had something special, and as I said, he had coaches who SAW THAT SOMETHING. That, too, is never a guarantee. Michigan?

Of course Brady had something - I said that.

I didn't say the coach made the QB. Nor did I even hint that Brady didn't take full advantage of the opportunity he got. He's one of the great success stories of our time, and is spoken of next to guys like Jordan and Russell, correctly. But guess what? It took circumstances beyond Brady's control to even get that opportunity.

That's the beauty of it all, by the way, and not the criticism. Look at the razor edge between dynasty and meh. What happens if they don't call the tuck play in '01 and the Pats melt down in '02 as they did? What happens if Bledsoe's ready to come back after the Denver game? What happens if Bledsoe never gets hurt? Does BB really dump a healthy $100million QB? Does Kraft let him?
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be Christmas.
The facts are what happened, and losing the GOAT QB and the GOAT TE are on the owner and HC/GM. That should never have happened.

Because its damn hard to win a superbowl. Dumb argument. He made a couple and made it to a number of AFC championship games. Any other future hall of fame quarterback not named Brady didnt win Superbowls for most if their careers. Montana didnt win Superbowls in what, 13 of his years?
This. He is literally saying, oh yeah well if Brady is so good, why did they go 9 years without winning a superbowl in a two decade span of winning 6. lol. I know Brady set a high bar, but to use that against him is pretty pathetic.

I don't think the bad season last year was due to Tom surprising as much as it bring a year BB realized was necessary to reset the table. Nobody really foresaw Brady playing this well at 44. I expected something to happen to him like what just happened to Fitzpatrick. I don't fault BB at all for moving on, you can't make a sustainable plan that hinges on a QB who's that age.
Tom Leaving this team was going to have a huge effect. Its not just about play, its about all the things he brings to a team. We saw that in Tampa. Tampa had not won a playoff game in 18 years. They had no idea what it took to win, he brought all the things to that team, and all those things left the pats when he left. Brady was another coach on the field, all the knowledge of 20 years on that team, was gone. Everything had to be retaught to whoever the next Qb was. We can make excuses about this and that, but he left a huge hole. I do not blame Bill for anything, nor do I blame Brady, nothing is going to last forever and both Bill and Brady have to do what they can in spite of what is in front of them, and that is what they are doing.

I don't think the bad season last year was due to Tom surprising as much as it being a year BB realized was necessary to reset the table. Nobody really foresaw Brady playing this well at 44. I expected something to happen to him like what just happened to Fitzpatrick. I don't fault BB at all for moving on, you can't make a sustainable plan that hinges on a QB who's that age.
You can't make a sustainable plan that doesn't include a QB, but for me that doesn't really matter. I wouldn't have cared what our record was after all the success if they didn't chase away Tom and Gronk. Players like those are generational and should not have been chased away. They and the fans deserved better.

You can't make a sustainable plan that doesn't include a QB, but for me that doesn't really matter. I wouldn't have cared what our record was after all the success if they didn't chase away Tom and Gronk. Players like those are generational and should not have been chased away. They and the fans deserved better.
I do not put blame on anyone for those two leaving. I know its hard to deal with because of what they brought the team. Now we can discuss what lead them to wanting to leave and that is a different story, but at that point, Brady and Gronk wanted to move on.

The lengths and gymnastics some go to define Brady as simply fortunate based on circumstances is astounding. IF IF IF! Every great quarterback ever is just a product of their circumstances then. If Montana played for the Saints lets see how he'd have done. If this one played for a suck azz team or that one played behind Manning or the other one played behind Bradshaw or Unitas played behind Starr then of course it would be different. What is the point of this? Diminish Brady somehow I guess. Hes just lucky

Last edited:
Reactions: sb1
Sorry, but the idea that Brady wouldn't have made an NYFL team without Bill is the worst take I've ever seen here. And choosing Bill over Tom is a very close second.
Then you are simply put, a moron.

Brady was out of shape and couldn’t keep the starting job at Michigan. He was given a chance by the patriots and took advantage of it. Chances are damn high he wouldn’t have been drafted, and if he was, how many teams would have kept him when he wasn’t that good? Tom did the work to become the player he is today. Most teams would never have given him the time and chance to do it.

Brady barely held the starting job in Michigan, and even after he did, the coaches there didn’t really think much of him. It was one of the main reasons he dropped down in the draft as much as he did (see Brady 6 documentary). The same thing could absolutely have happened at the pro level. Bill deserves a lot of credit for seeing the diamond in the rough. The lengths the Brady bunch go to completely discredit BB boggles the mind. Crediting BB doesn’t take anything away from what Brady did.

Brady barely held the starting job in Michigan, and even after he did, the coaches there didn’t really think much of him. It was one of the main reasons he dropped down in the draft as much as he did (see Brady 6 documentary). The same thing could absolutely have happened at the pro level. Bill deserves a lot of credit for seeing the diamond in the rough. The lengths the Brady bunch go to completely discredit BB boggles the mind. Crediting BB doesn’t take anything away from what Brady did.
This article about his time at Michigan is instructive about how he was in fact mentally prepared to compete in the NFL. He credits Harden and a team psychologist for getting his mind straight.

This article about his time at Michigan is instructive about how he was in fact mentally prepared to compete in the NFL. He credits Harden and a team psychologist for getting his mind straight.

Absolutely. This is one of the many intangibles that made him great, and things that could be easily missed by lesser coaches.

let's get this straight. I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:
It would have been easier to spot the sarcasm if the phrase "didn't win with the Redskins after he left the Packers" were "didn't win a Super Bowl with the Redskins after he left the Packers."

I'm not big on coaches over players, but Bill is clearly the GOAT HC/GM. The problem is that every coach needs good to great players to win.
Great coaches find great players, a consistent theme in all sports.

It would have been easier to spot the sarcasm if the phrase "didn't win with the Redskins after he left the Packers" were "didn't win a Super Bowl with the Redskins after he left the Packers."
If you say so. But nobody else had a problem spotting it. Ill check with you from now on before I post anything.

Last edited:
If Brady got drafted by, say, the Colts and Peyton stays healthy, he spends a couple of years (if he's lucky) as a back-up and is out of the league. If he doesn't get on the field other than the occasional kneel though his rookie contract, other teams would draft their backups and projects (guys with "higher ceilings or more athleticism, likely) and his career is over. His college coaches didn't see it, clearly, and so he almost went undrafted.

So it's not just that he was drafted by BB, but that he was drafted by a coach(es) who saw something AND got the lucky break in just the right situation to take advantage of it.

If Brady got drafted by, say, the Colts and Peyton stays healthy, he spends a couple of years (if he’s lucky) as a back-up and is out of the league.

Lol…yes, let’s choose the #1 team, out of 32, with the very best quarterback situation from 2000-04. I’m guessing that from that timeframe, 90% of teams either (a) had a non-elite starting quarterback who Brady may have surpassed, or (b) would have had an injury scenario where Brady would have had a chance to start and prove himself.

The Colts scenario is a laughable theoretical, just like, butwhaddddifff Brady got drafted by the Browns! because, hey, it makes a theoretical argument so much stronger when you choose the absolute worst case scenario.

The fact is, the Patriots were one of the worst situations, objectively, when Brady was drafted in 2000, and being behind Bledsoe in 2000 was about as bleak as it can get for starting QB aspirations. It’s not unreasonable at all to think Brady would have gotten his shot. Practices, preseason, mop-up time replacing the starter, starter gets benched, starter gets hurt, end of season chance…almost every backup gets a chance at some point and talent is rarely overlooked in the NFL. He had already moved up #4 to #2 in New England in one year.

Its what was said, I do not really care what you think. I go by what someone posts and respond. Saying h we went 9 years without winning a title in a 2 decade period of winning 6 as being some horrid thing is the most spoiled stupid fan **** there is.
It's not what I said, you illiterate meatball.

Going 10 years without winning an SB shows how hard it is - and also shows that as great as Brady was and is, it's a TEAM game. If BB left the Pats instead of Brady and took over KC, and won the SB, which he likely would have, that isn't a mark that he's greater than Brady (particularly is Brady remained in New England in the beginning of a rebuild).

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back