PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrew Luck Retires from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a difference between booing team performance and a QB retiring after a host of serious injuries, including a lacerated kidney causing him to pee blood.
Right I would think a fan base of an active dynasty would be LESS likely to boo a bad half of football than they would if they had win nothing and their “savior” quit on them out of the blue.

A QB like Luck who gave them 7 years and got hurt???? You misinterpreted “Drrrrrrewwwwwww”

:p
If Bledsoe quit during the week 3 game of the 2001 preseason patriots fans would have absolutely booed.

Who retires first, Tom Brady or Jacoby Brissett?

Right I would think a fan base of an active dynasty would be LESS likely to boo a bad half of football than they would if they had win nothing and their “savior” quit on them out of the blue.

You missed my point. Booing poor performance is more justifiable than booing retirement, especially after what Luck went through. I think “quit on them” is misplaced considering the degree of suffering the guy endured.

Hardly out of the blue. Andrew Luck's struggles with the injury bug are years in the making

I predict Brady outlasts Darnold (or at least “starting QB Darnold”.)

I predict Brady outlasts Darnold (or at least “starting QB Darnold”.)
I still feel bad for the kid. He has legitimate talent, it is pure, massive bad luck that that's the org that drafted him

Somehow I had completely forgotten than they showed Peyton the door in order to get Luck. Their franchise's greatest player dumped for the new shiny thing.

Honestly, the Colts ****ing deserve this.

Unfortunately, i now have a warmer spot in my heart for the Colts. Grigson is somewhere driving a cab and Jacoby Brissett (who, from all accounts in Foxboro, Jupiter Florida and Indy, is one of the best, most mature and quality human beings around) is now the starter. I guess I’ll root for them to go 8-8 and Jacoby going to the Pro-Bowl.

In this dream scenario can Dorsett make a few clutch playoff and Super Bowl grabs so it doesn’t look like we got fleeced on the trade. Haha

You missed my point. Booing poor performance is more justifiable than booing retirement, especially after what Luck went through. I think “quit on them” is misplaced considering the degree of suffering the guy endured.
Through the eyes of colts fans he quit on them Imo.
Remember if 10% of fans boo, it is extremely noticeable.
I’m not talking about unanimity or deservedness I’m talking about what a vocal minority of people are like.

Last edited by a moderator:
As distasteful as it is, try to put yourself in the position of a Colts can at the stadium and then news comes out. You think you have a team that can compete for a SB. I would have been pisssed at the moment and would have booed. Normal reaction.

Brady has so much good will built up that there is virtually nothing he could do to illicit such a response.
It wasn't that many years ago where people here were rightfully pointing out that we did not give Brady enough praise for how committed he was to giving his all. I'm not sure where the turning point came, maybe after the two NYG SB appearances were vanquished by the SEA SB win, but before that point, I could have seen such a thing happen in NE had TB12 bowed out early. Luckily for us, we've been blessed by leadership that understands the need to protect the QB, and a QB with great pocket awareness and, yes, pliability. We can only imagine what Luck would be had he been part of this organization.

Hardly out of the blue. Andrew Luck's struggles with the injury bug are years in the making
What? There was absolutely no hint or expectation that he could retire at 29. The expectation was that he should be ready for the opener.
It’s as out of the blue as it gets.

An announcement that he was injured and would miss the opener or even go on Ir wouldn’t have been out of the blue, but there was zero indication he was even thinking about quitting.

I know the previous GM sucked but they did expend a lot of draft capital on the OL.

We know 3rd through 5th round picks on an interior linemen is considered relatively high. These players rarely get picked with premium picks. Look around the NFL, most are mid-rounders with plenty of UDFAs even playing.

But you can easily look up what they did to shore up the OL in Indy:

1st Rounder Ryan Kelly
1st Rounder Quenton Nelson
2nd Rounder Jack Mewhort
2nd Rounder Braden Smith
2nd Rounder Hugh Thornton
3rd Rounder LeRaven Clark
4th Rounder Zach Banner
4th Rounder Khaled Holmes
5th Rounder Joe Haeg
6th Rounder Justin Anderson
7th Rounder Austin Blythe
7th Rounder Denzelle Good

The above numbers also leave out the fact that they drafted Castonzo in the 1st round the year prior to Luck and he was the left tackle all along.

They also brought in starting FAs like Satele, Cherilus, Donald Thomas, Herremans, Slauson.

The Colts have actually expended more draft capital than most teams on their OL. There are plenty of starting late rounders around the league, UDFAs even. Last year the Patriots, for instance, had this: 7th rounder, 5th rounder, 4th rounder, 3rd rounder, UDFA. This isn't uncommon.

Usually interior lineman go 3-7 rounds, tackles are the premium players.

And not all of those OL were busts either.

The Donald Thomas story is an interesting part of this. He has a pretty good season with the Patriots, then signs a big contract with the Colts, he loses his starting spot, then comes in and gets injured, and that was basically his career.

Luck really held the ball too long and did not have much regard for his body. He was tough pain-wise, but fragile. Willing to put his body on the line, but look where it got him. As I always say to the Bills fans at the annual Patriots game in Buffalo, when they start chanting, "Brady is Lady" (the women are chanting too), "How is it that the most effeminate QB in the NFL is also the greatest QB in NFL history?"

I think Brady has changed since he became married to Gisele. Not in a bad way, he's just different.

You touched on something in your post about Luck holding the ball too long that got me to thinking. Isn't that what separates Brady from every other QB? The way he reads and reacts in less than two seconds is incredible.

I think what also hurt Luck was his inaccuracy. He seemed to sail passes at times.

Because the statement was he can’t be a bust because he was a success by going to an AFCCG.
I said going to an AFCCG wasn’t success.
I was asked what is and I said winning Super Bowls.

I didn’t go near the discussion of him being a bust because it’s moronic. Almost as moronic as saying the reason he isn’t is because he got blown out in an afccg.

You must have really poor reading comprehension skills. But this hardly shocking becAuse you have a history of this. The word success was only used by you, not me. And no, I never suggested he wasn’t a bust because he got blown out in an afccg. I suggested that taking a team that didn’t belong in the game, to the game, contributes to him not being a bust. This is all clear cut but like I said your piss poor reading comprehension skills once again prevent you from having a logical debate about the discussion

Maybe this will help
How To Improve Reading Comprehension For Kids | Oxford Learning

I know other than 08 Brady has never been hurt as bad as Luck, but man this helps you appreciate what Tom has given to his team, teammates, and the region.
Is that true or did Brady just play through it. (Discount 08 for Brady and 17 for luck)
Lucks interview didn’t say he couldn’t play, it basically said that he hates that football
is painful and requires rehab.

What? There was absolutely no hint or expectation that he could retire at 29. The expectation was that he should be ready for the opener.
It’s as out of the blue as it gets.

Again, no. I agree that there was an expectation that he would start the season, but with everyone knowing he'd been through a lot, if people don't see a possibility of Luck breaking down in any given year they're blind.

In this dream scenario can Dorsett make a few clutch playoff and Super Bowl grabs so it doesn’t look like we got fleeced on the trade. Haha
Tom Curran ( Luck's retirement delivers aftershocks in NE ) says regarding the Brisette trade:
Regardless of what Brissett does in Indy, the Patriots can’t be faulted for making that move. It actually was a brilliant gamble because they got value from Dorsett when they wouldn’t have gotten jack from Brissett (if he even made the team) and they reset the contract clock with a player who, during his short stint here, has shown himself so far to be a better thrower than Brissett.
The last part refers to Stidham, in case it's not clear from this quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes