PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And Surely We Need To Be Better Than 6th In Points Scored To Be Competitive

the basis of your argument was an impression you felt from a statistic

Untrue. I explained simply why the statistic you cite isn't really indicative of how they performed during the season. And I did so by breaking down the actual stats. That's not a "feeling" or "impression". That's citing facts.

Untrue. I explained simply why the statistic you cite isn't really indicative of how they performed during the season. And I did so by breaking down the actual stats. That's not a "feeling" or "impression". That's citing facts.
It is completely indicative of how they performed after week 3.
You stated that “creates an impression” which it does not unless you do not understand how statistics work.
Nobody with any understanding of how the nfl works would think that #1 after week 3 means #1 consistently week in and week out the whole time.

Here are examples. Since 2001 the patriots are #1 at winning SBs. Do you think that means they won every one?
Since week 6, team X has led the league in rushing. Is that supposed to be misleading because they had some good games and some bad games yet overall they led the league?

It is completely indicative of how they performed after week 3.
You stated that “creates an impression” which it does not unless you do not understand how statistics work.
Nobody with any understanding of how the nfl works would think that #1 after week 3 means #1 consistently week in and week out the whole time.

Here are examples. Since 2001 the patriots are #1 at winning SBs. Do you think that means they won every one?
Since week 6, team X has led the league in rushing. Is that supposed to be misleading because they had some good games and some bad games yet overall they led the league?

No, and that's not remotely my argument. Maybe that's the disconnect. You have no idea what I'm even trying to say.

No, and that's not remotely my argument. Maybe that's the disconnect. You have no idea what I'm even trying to say.
You literally said the actual statistic creates the impression that the number over 14 weeks implies they were at that level consistently throughout the period and that makes it misleading.

You literally said the actual statistic creates the impression that the number over 14 weeks implies they were at that level consistently throughout the period and that makes it misleading.

No, I "literally" said, "that the overall statistic gives a certain impression that wasn't actually borne out in the bulk of the regular season".

6th in total points scored should be more than enough. The problem is how and when those points are scored. 1/3 of those points scores came in 3 games. If you take away the Jets, Cleveland, Tennessee and Jacksonville games, they only averages 22 per game.

If our 460 points were more evenly distributed, the statistic would be more meaningful. It's super misleading.

6th in total points scored should be more than enough. The problem is how and when those points are scored. 1/3 of those points scores came in 3 games. If you take away the Jets, Cleveland, Tennessee and Jacksonville games, they only averages 22 per game.

If our 460 points were more evenly distributed, the statistic would be more meaningful. It's super misleading.

Exactly. 22/game is a bottom-half offense.

it's not about how many points we scored - it's how we scored them. We need to make the offense more multiple so that its capable of scoring points in different ways and in different types of game. We scored heavily when we took the lead and could play the run first play action game; which also enabled the D to pin its ears back. We now need to make the offense more multiple so it can spread teams out if necessary, play from behind etc. some of that will come with Mac's development, but we also need to add another top weapon.
Yes, if the Pats did not get behind and could develop their running game which was very very good, then they were fine. But this team was too reliant on the run. Look at the Ravens. Historically good running team, but if you only do one thing well, playoff caliber teams will take that away. This is especially true if your strength is running the ball.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back