PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Interesting List

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
NFL Rumors: Trades, Free Agency, Draft | NFLTradeRumors.co

Obviously I hope that the Brandin Cooks trade wasn't offered by us (assuming that there were credible sources.) However, thinking about it made me wonder - Cooks is on the last year of his deal before he gets a massive deal (which could potentially get bigger if he plays well this season!) Could this become another instance of Belichick moving on from a player too early, rather than paying them?

Now looking at the 2 other Patriots trades - Clowney and Talib. Clowney would CERTAINLY be interesting, while I like the low cost nature of a potential Talib trade.

I dont see much value in trading #31 for one year of Clowney especially because the fifth year option is not cheap for a first overall pick.

Similarly the way several beat guys keep emphasizing how much the Pats and Brady love Cooks I see no reason why they would trade him away.

Similarly the way several beat guys keep emphasizing how much the Pats and Brady love Cooks I see no reason why they would trade him away.
Not disagreeing but we could have:

Edelman ;)
Hogan (could save cap space if he were let go)
Cooks
---------
Britt (option picked up)
Dorsett (they seem to like him too)
Mitchell (if his knee holds up)
Amendola (if he re-signs)

That's 7, pick 5. Definitely not saying Cooks could or should go but with just one year left I could see them doing that if we come close to getting back the #1 we traded (which a high #2 would be - not equal to low #1 and low #3 but close factoring in getting a year out of him).

How in the hell is Lamar Jackson being considered the 2nd best QB prospect in this class?

He sucked in the film breakdown, handled the interviews poorly, didn’t look too hot during the passing drills that I saw, has never taken a snap under center, and never broke out of the 50s in terms of his three year completion percentage.

How in the hell is Lamar Jackson being considered the 2nd best QB prospect in this class?

He sucked in the film breakdown, handled the interviews poorly, didn’t look too hot during the passing drills that I saw, has never taken a snap under center, and never broke out of the 50s in terms of his three year completion percentage.

I wonder though if he was there at 31 that bill wouldn't draft him.

Not disagreeing but we could have:

Edelman ;)
Hogan (could save cap space if he were let go)
Cooks
---------
Britt (option picked up)
Dorsett (they seem to like him too)
Mitchell (if his knee holds up)
Amendola (if he re-signs)

That's 7, pick 5. Definitely not saying Cooks could or should go but with just one year left I could see them doing that if we come close to getting back the #1 we traded (which a high #2 would be - not equal to low #1 and low #3 but close factoring in getting a year out of him).

Just look at the ages of some of our receivers. Edelman, Dola and Hogan are over 30. Mitchell in a camp battle against injuries and Britt. I would be less shocked if Hogan was gone than Cooks.

Just look at the ages of some of our receivers. Edelman, Dola and Hogan are over 30. Mitchell in a camp battle against injuries and Britt. I would be less shocked if Hogan was gone than Cooks.

Cooks age is irrelevant if he's gone next year anyway. But you're right, they need some infusion of youth. If not this year then next year.

I wonder though if he was there at 31 that bill wouldn't draft him.
I don’t know. That’s a good question. I wouldn’t see it at 31, but maybe some consideration at 43?

I have no idea if he’d fit our offense or not, but my first hunch is that they’d be looking at someone who can make better reads/checks/is better at breaking down film. Who knows, though? I’m no draft guru.

I don’t know. That’s a good question. I wouldn’t see it at 31, but maybe some consideration at 43?

I have no idea if he’d fit our offense or not, but my first hunch is that they’d be looking at someone who can make better reads/checks/is better at breaking down film. Who knows, though? I’m no draft guru.
Haven't you heard? Kyle Lauletta is the second coming of Jimmy Garoppolo!

He likely would be gone by 43. I still think he will go in the first round but he needs to sit a couple of years and learn. I feel bill would take him if he's there at 31 but i think he will go earlier.

Would we without a doubt be signing Clowney to a contract keeping him here for at least 4+ years? If so, um....yeah. You make that trade all day. Could you imagine a D with Clowney AND HT at LB/DE? And hell, since they both tend to get hit with nagging injuries, they can keep each other company on the bench! In all seriousness, it would improve our team and weaken a conference team. I’m good with that. As far as trading Cooks, what’s the point? Who fills his production? Having 3 2’s would be awesome in a deep draft like this, but it doesn’t change the fact that Gronk is pondering walking, and Marty never knows what he wants. You’ve got a WR that is 1 yr older, recovering from a serious knee injury and has always battled a foot problem. You’ve got another clutch receiver that is a FA and has to be handled properly to minimize his risk of an injury and the other receiver has a knee that won’t stop acting up. Sorry, our receiver situation is gonna be fine, or it’s gonna blow up in our face. Stresses me out. I never want to see a crew with a receiver like Caldwell out there leading the corps again.

i'm guessing the team to say Lamar Jackson is the 2nd best QB is cleveland since they have been stellar at picking them since, since, dirt was invented. LOL

If you tell me that I can massage the draft picks involved so that I can effectively trade Cooks for Clowney, I make the deals. If you tell me I can't keep that first round pick, or I can only make the Cooks deal, I pass on the deals.

Any idea of trading cooks is dumb

I don't think it is out of the question.

We're in an interesting personnel spot. The next wave of rookie contracts is going to be expiring after next season. We have to deal with Cooks, Mason, Trey Flowers and Rowe looking for their first big paydays, along with Hogan and Chung. The 2020 free agent class includes Brady, Gronk, Thuney, Brown, Van Noy and McCourty.

That's a lot of money to pay out. Decisions are being made now about how the team's foundation will be constructed two years from now. From a cap perspective, is it worth paying $13.1 million to keep Cooks when the same money would cover Flowers and half of Mason's cap hit?

Another question is the team's valuation of Dorsett. Rumors suggest that the team is high on him. Receivers sometimes take years of development to earn big roles in this offense. There exists a chance that the team views Dorsett as a poor man's Cooks and is comfortable having Dorsett replace Cook's role on the team.

Would we without a doubt be signing Clowney to a contract keeping him here for at least 4+ years? If so, um....yeah. You make that trade all day. Could you imagine a D with Clowney AND HT at LB/DE? And hell, since they both tend to get hit with nagging injuries, they can keep each other company on the bench! In all seriousness, it would improve our team and weaken a conference team. I’m good with that. As far as trading Cooks, what’s the point? Who fills his production? Having 3 2’s would be awesome in a deep draft like this, but it doesn’t change the fact that Gronk is pondering walking, and Marty never knows what he wants. You’ve got a WR that is 1 yr older, recovering from a serious knee injury and has always battled a foot problem. You’ve got another clutch receiver that is a FA and has to be handled properly to minimize his risk of an injury and the other receiver has a knee that won’t stop acting up. Sorry, our receiver situation is gonna be fine, or it’s gonna blow up in our face. Stresses me out. I never want to see a crew with a receiver like Caldwell out there leading the corps again.
Trading Cooks after acquiring Clownely would probably be required for salary cap purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes