PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An interesting list of what can we get from QB desperate Teams for our pick #3

I don’t get it either. Suddenly the fact that he’s a year younger means he gets a pass on mediocre production. But most of it comes from this yearning to pass on potential franchise QB’s just to pick up one more player in the draft. I think it’s nuts.?
You just never know how things will shake out. The Pats could stay at 3 and pick a bust or they could trade back for more picks and pick up a lesser rated QB who turns out to be the real deal. IOW, it's a crap shoot.

It's kind of strange how I know nothing about college football but I was told by a stranger at a bar to keep an eye on JJ McCarthy, who I never heard of before that day. And now his name comes up all the time here as a viable option.

Every single year the talent level at QB varies and there could be anywhere from 0-8 QBs who make it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Pats get one this year.
Not really strange when you are the qb of the national championship team. I will agree, the talent level and drafting seems very hit or miss with qb's, kind of scary, but JJ could easily end up being the best qb taken, or out of the league in a couple of years. The most interesting thing to me is how the qb's rankings fluctuate from season end to the draft.

Not really strange when you are the qb of the national championship team. I will agree, the talent level and drafting seems very hit or miss with qb's, kind of scary, but JJ could easily end up being the best qb taken, or out of the league in a couple of years. The most interesting thing to me is how the qb's rankings fluctuate from season end to the draft.
The fact that your QB pick is hit or miss and could be out of the league in two years, adds fuel to the “trade down for more high picks”, argument, and get more chances to add valuable players to the team.

If you want to pick a QB at #3 I hope it is because you are sold on the player, and not just picking QB because it is the biggest piece we are missing.

How about if we sign Chris Jones to a 200 $$$ million deal in free agency and then trade Bailey Zappe, Chris Jones and our #3 to Zkansas City for Patrick Mahomes? Then sign Victor Wembaya to play WR for us, and trade him to Minnesota for Justin Jefferson. and Trade Mac Jones to Atlanta for Kyle Pitts. That would be awesome! Who’s with me ?
That's all speculation Cousin. Who is ths Victor guy?

Of course we are talking "what ifs" . But is Jefferson not a possibility where as the Vikes have two #1 WR with he and Addison, the fact is Jefferson will cost much "yang" next year and Addison is still on his rookie deal...(we have the room to pay him) and the Vikes made an effort in 2023 to move up to Draft Richardson? It Cousins coming back a definite? Can they afford he and Jefferson.

I don't want to get over my skis but would the Vikes trade him? As it has been reported, would the Steelers trade TJ Watt to move up to at least our #3? All nifty thoughts.

Chris Jones will be tagged for $200mm. That gives the Chiefs $44mm for everyone else. They will sign the cast of "The Replacements". Victor whatsisname will be frowned upon here because of "skinny legs" and Mahomes won't leave KC unless we take Travis and Taylor in said trade....unless we throw Bon Jovi in.........BUT Meek Mill might be a sleeper here.

P.S. I don't think Kyle Pitts is untouchable for the Falcons to move up. Perhaps Bill was doing undercover work.

DW Toys

Drake Maye will provide stability at qb position for a decade. If he is there, stay put at 3.
Nix and Rattler are Jags
This team desperately needs a star playmaker and leader.
Who knows when we will have another chance to draft a top tier qb.
That's why there will be teams wanting to move to #3, as they are looking for a potential franchise QB. If the one that we could have drafted becomes just that, that would be a disaster. Stay the course and hope that Drake Maye is there at #3. But, if Daniels can get up to 220 pounds and his arm strength is hopefully better or can get better than the analyst's are saying it currently is (although he's a good deep thrower, his strength/velocity on the middle of the field and the quick outs might be lacking), then I'd still roll the dice with him, although Maye is my 1st choice.

And then the QBs fluctuate more after they get in the NYFL. I remember having a discussion with my brother way back in the days I watched college ball that Michael Vick would be a good pro QB and Matt Ryan would not be. I was way off on that one.

What if we sign Mayfield and draft MHJ then an OT in the second round? Would that beef up the offense?

Baker Mayfield went to Tampa and had his best season, and now he’s getting paid. Even if he decided to leave Tampa there is no way he is going to destroy his career by coming to a team with a bad offensive line and terrible skill position players. Beyond that bringing a mediocre QB to really bad offense at a high price makes little to no sense.

Works for me Cousin.
DW Toys

You actually believe the Patriots could win a Lombardi with Baker Mayfield? Are you on bath salts DW?

That's all speculation Cousin. Who is ths Victor guy?

Of course we are talking "what ifs" . But is Jefferson not a possibility where as the Vikes have two #1 WR with he and Addison, the fact is Jefferson will cost much "yang" next year and Addison is still on his rookie deal...(we have the room to pay him) and the Vikes made an effort in 2023 to move up to Draft Richardson? It Cousins coming back a definite? Can they afford he and Jefferson.

I don't want to get over my skis but would the Vikes trade him? As it has been reported, would the Steelers trade TJ Watt to move up to at least our #3? All nifty thoughts.

Chris Jones will be tagged for $200mm. That gives the Chiefs $44mm for everyone else. They will sign the cast of "The Replacements". Victor whatsisname will be frowned upon here because of "skinny legs" and Mahomes won't leave KC unless we take Travis and Taylor in said trade....unless we throw Bon Jovi in.........BUT Meek Mill might be a sleeper here.

P.S. I don't think Kyle Pitts is untouchable for the Falcons to move up. Perhaps Bill was doing undercover work.

DW Toys

I was just trying to keep it real DW. The Wembaya for Mahomes trade seemed fitting for this thread.

If drake maye is there at 3 just draft him unless falcons offer 8th, 2nd this year and 1st next year.

If drake maye is there at 3 just draft him unless falcons offer 8th, 2nd this year and 1st next year.
I would think they could get more than that. Next year's first from Atlanta is probably in the 20's, if Atlanta has a QB, they make the playoffs in that division. Next year's draft right now has only about 10 players rated as first rounders. It is likely a weak draft.
They would need at least 3 number 1's and a #2 this year, and still, to me, that's not enough.

However. If Maye is there, they take him, he has the skills that fit the AVP system.

What if we sign Mayfield and draft MHJ then an OT in the second round? Would that beef up the offense?
He's not coming here, but I'll play. If we signed Mayfield, I would trade down to draft a top 6 LT, and then another OT at 34 or with a trade up. I would likely still have an additional pick from the trade down for an early WR.

Wouldn't Daniels/Maye go #1 in the 2025 draft? Next year isn't a great class.

So I ask...if you pass on a QB this year, how sure are you of finding one in the future?

You can't hope you fall into a guy. Or, you are bad enough to get Manning in a few years.

Less is more imo. Take the QB. My belief is the Patriots will take a QB.

With Mayfield, you really have to start over with an entirely different offseason plan. You’d be signing more 30+ year olds and would be more likely to trade away picks for players.

I have to believe they are targeting a QB, or the QBs they like they think will be gone.
Supposedly Mayo asked every Oc candidate what QB they liked the most in this draft.
Why would they be asking that if the plan is to punt on a QB,
Now a trade down from 3-8 and still get your QB or if Van Pelt said Justin Fields’s or Mayfield is the target that makes the Most sense.

You keep talking about Fields, but so far you have refused to answer the simplest question about him, and I have asked you it several times. Why trade for a QB when the team that drafted him is so desperate to get rid of him that they would pass up 3 first rounders just so they can take a new rookie QBto replace hiim? Especially when they could use those picks to build a great team around him. The Bears literally have to have zero belief in him to do this, but you think the patriots should give up draft capital to get him, and then pay him 40 million a year. Which means the Patriots are giving up a huge chunk of cap space, and draft picks for a guy who has sucked as a pro, and whose team thinks he sucks.

And if they don’t get Fields you want to pay big money to a truly mediocre free agent QB to come to a team with a bad OL, and very bad skill positions.

Both of these are really bad ideas , and at some point you need to figure that out. Or at a minimum answer those questions, because so far you just keep repeating these ideas, but back them up with nothing.

With Mayfield, you really have to start over with an entirely different offseason plan. You’d be signing more 30+ year olds and would be more likely to trade away picks for players.
That's true, I just read an article where they said the Pat's should target him so I'm just looking at every angle. I would take whatever QB falls to us at 3.

McCarthy is only barely 21 and if he sits out a year, works on his technique, and fills out, he might be the best prospect in this draft.
I wouldn't go that far.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back