PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An interesting list of what can we get from QB desperate Teams for our pick #3

Why would Wilson want to play for the patriots for $1.5M, presuming that DEN cuts him?
Cousin, The theory is out that Wilson wants a starting job with a Team so he can accomplish Hall Of Fame Kurt Warner type Team revitalization consideration of his now poopy legacy and screw the Broncos for his guaranteed $39mm. He certainly would not do $1.5mm by itself.
I could see the Falcons or the Steelers. Maybe the Raiders. As far as us ? Nyet! I would say Nyet to teams Drafting 1-3 including us as the are talent free, and all are said the Draft a QB.

That is where the $1.5mm came from.
DW Toys

Only if we can land one of McCarthy or Nix. Or sign Mayfield or Trade for Fields.
I certainly think that Wolf will evaluate Mayfield and Fields.

If that doesn't happen, he will evaluate, Daniels, McCarthy and Nix.

We can hope for Maye, but these five seem most likely.

That is why bringing in a vet is so important. And to that end, I believe Russell Wilson would be the best option. He played his best football during the last half of the season, before his contract got him benched. He'd be experienced and solid at the position. But most importantly (if I understand it correctly), he'll only cost the vet minimum against the cap, or roughly $1-1.5MM for next year, with the rest of his $40MM coming from Denver. So regardless of whether you get one of the top 3 or trade down to one of the 2nd tier QB's, you are in a position where you DON'T have to throw the rookie into the fire right away.
I am in total agreement that bringing in a vet is important regardless of who the team picks. I also agree that Wilson will be a reasonable option on the field. My issue with him is that he does not seem like the best fit for developing a young QB and establishing a cohesive locker room. In 2024 both of those objectives are as important as on the field success for a vet QB. On the field the QB needs to be competent, i.e. he doesn't give games away, he does not do enough good things to elevate the team.

Cousin, Rattler has a gun as well.
DW Toys
Rattler is an interesting piece, if the draft doesn’t go the way the Pats went, and they decide to trade down and maximize the value of their picks.

Is Rattler going to be gone by mid round 2?

Only if we can land one of McCarthy or Nix. Or sign Mayfield or Trade for Fields.
I'm thinking a little differently. I'd sign Cousins or Wilson as our QB and then I'd trade out of #3 for oodles and oodles of draft picks.

I'm thinking a little differently. I'd sign Cousins or Wilson as our QB and then I'd trade out of #3 for oodles and oodles of draft picks.
Wilson is not the Wilson from Seattle.
It be a bandaid at best.

If that was done, one of those oodles of picks should be used relatively high on someone like Rattler.

Wilson is not the Wilson from Seattle.
It be a bandaid at best.
They could go with Cousins but Wilson is much cheaper and wouldn't be as difficult to get away from if they draft a future QB. And the extra picks from a trade back would be just what the doctor ordered.

If that was done, one of those oodles of picks should be used relatively high on someone like Rattler.
Yup, that's what I'm thinking. I'd rather see a veteran QB thrown to the wolves than a rookie.

The really odd thing to me is that a guy sat next to me at a bar a couple of months ago and asked me if I was a football fan. When I told him yes but only of the pros, and that I know nothing about college football, he said remember the name J.J. McCarthy. I never heard the name or saw it much at all here until after that meeting and now his name comes up constantly here.

Maye or McCarthy as the future, Flacco, Browning, Dobbs as the bridge.
Cousin, I like your roster of bridge QB's . I still am of the religion that we trade down to help our whole offense, not just one position.

Let's start. A quick breakfast of tea, slices of Havarti cheese on buttered oatmeal toast, grape cranberry juice and only half of banana (have to watch my figure)

If we Draft one of the holy three and he is thrown into the fire pit of starting for a poopy Team with no talent, what is the estimate of additional wins for the Pats in 2024? What is your over/under? Anybody?

If we are smart through Trades and FA and then add a QB in the Draft (note: at some point not just the top three that are well hyped but have many flaws. Call it the Mitch Trubiski/Trey Lance syndrome for me).

If I am Jarod ("I've got a good feeling about him") Mayo what is your goal in 2024? What are the facts? What are your needs? It's Goals, Facts and Needs.

If I am a paying Pats Fans, do we sit down and shut up and be happy about another 4-13 season and be a laughing stock again? Nyet!!

Let me propose a "blockbuster" (World War II term) trade (I love that terminology). Here is a proposed trade with the Broncos.

Goals for them? : 1) Find a way to mitigate a huge deal gone terribly wrong 2) Get a shot at one of the Holy Three for the future to get a QB whom is better than Stidham 3) free up CAP space,

Facts: The Broncos have to pay Russ one way or the other. They have a few expiring contracts with Vets that they could move. The Patriots could use some of those Vets to build their roster and make a decision whheather to keep said Vets or move on next year.

Needs: The Broncos must negotiate with a Team like the Pats who have a top three pick and would consider Russell a bridge QB who brought the Bronocos to the brink of the playoffs with a Team that was not much better that the Pats roster. Then the Broncos need to convince the Pats to trade.

To move from pick #12 to pick #3 the Pats own is difficult because the Broncos do not have a second round pick to leverage. On the Trade Value Chart that is 1,000 points.

Now the Pats needs: A WR, a OT and a bridge QB. I propose :
1) getting OT Garret Boles who is steady and still plays at a high level at 31 years old. His is an expiring contract so we get a year to "look/see". He's plug and play day one.
2) Taking Jerry Juedy WR who is on his last rookie deal year but again "look/see" if we want to retain his services. He is still young and has the potential for a 1,000 yard season. He immedietely becomes our #1 WR.
3) Take Russell as long as the Broncos post his salary. His numbers in 2023 were decent. Too much friction between he and Payton. Will not work with those two.

Now take pick #12 plus s second rounder in 2025. Then trade with the Steelers at #20 so they can move up to Draft a QB (or we go for a McCarthy. Nix etc.) Get an OT at pick #20.

Resign Michael Onewenu. Hunter Henry. Dugger and maybe Reagor P Brown and Zeke if they are inexpensive.

I heard a valid point today; If the game plan is to Draft a QB (or any player at pick #3) and have him not play for two or three years......knowing how we need a retooling with our bleak offense today,.....that is just crazy. No one can justify that. You'll say Love sat, but he was behind Rogers! Many QBs sat and waited but they has pieces in place, So Stroud is the outlier and at least six Teams think that lightning can strike again.

Who is going to block and catch for this #3 savior? Nyet once again.

So if you go into 2024 with an OL of Boles, Strange, Andrews, Sow and Onewenu Or Williams if he walks, and top rookie OT

Two TEs in Henry and sign Schultz and Draft Colorago St. TE Dallin Holker who is the clone of Russ Francis on the field.

WR Juedy, Douglas and Mike Evans (probably not but Josh Reynolds or Calvin Ridley) and the best Drafted WR.

QB Wilson and maybe a McCarthy, Nix or Rattler

At least we would be competitive. That is what I want to see IMO.

DWToys

Cousin, I like your roster of bridge QB's . I still am of the religion that we trade down to help our whole offense, not just one position.

Let's start. A quick breakfast of tea, slices of Havarti cheese on buttered oatmeal toast, grape cranberry juice and only half of banana (have to watch my figure)

If we Draft one of the holy three and he is thrown into the fire pit of starting for a poopy Team with no talent, what is the estimate of additional wins for the Pats in 2024? What is your over/under? Anybody?

If we are smart through Trades and FA and then add a QB in the Draft (note: at some point not just the top three that are well hyped but have many flaws. Call it the Mitch Trubiski/Trey Lance syndrome for me).

If I am Jarod ("I've got a good feeling about him") Mayo what is your goal in 2024? What are the facts? What are your needs? It's Goals, Facts and Needs.

If I am a paying Pats Fans, do we sit down and shut up and be happy about another 4-13 season and be a laughing stock again? Nyet!!

Let me propose a "blockbuster" (World War II term) trade (I love that terminology). Here is a proposed trade with the Broncos.

Goals for them? : 1) Find a way to mitigate a huge deal gone terribly wrong 2) Get a shot at one of the Holy Three for the future to get a QB whom is better than Stidham 3) free up CAP space,

Facts: The Broncos have to pay Russ one way or the other. They have a few expiring contracts with Vets that they could move. The Patriots could use some of those Vets to build their roster and make a decision whheather to keep said Vets or move on next year.

Needs: The Broncos must negotiate with a Team like the Pats who have a top three pick and would consider Russell a bridge QB who brought the Bronocos to the brink of the playoffs with a Team that was not much better that the Pats roster. Then the Broncos need to convince the Pats to trade.

To move from pick #12 to pick #3 the Pats own is difficult because the Broncos do not have a second round pick to leverage. On the Trade Value Chart that is 1,000 points.

1) getting OT Garret Boles who is steady and still plays at a high level at 31 years old. His is an expiring contract so we get a year to "look/see". He's plug and play day one.
2) Taking Jerry Juedy WR who is on his last rookie deal year but again "look/see" if we want to retain his services. He is still young and has the potential for a 1,000 yard season. He immedietely becomes our #1 WR.
3) Take Russell as long as the Broncos post his salary. His numbers in 2023 were decent. Too much friction between he and Payton. Will not work with those two.

Now take pick #12 plus s second rounder in 2025. Then trade with the Steelers at #20 so they can move up to Draft a QB (or we go for a McCarthy. Nix etc.) Get an OT at pick #20.

Resign Michael Onewenu. Hunter Henry. Dugger and maybe Reagor P Brown and Zeke if they are inexpensive.

I heard a valid point today; If the game plan is to Draft a QB (or any player at pick #3) and have him not play for two or three years......knowing how we need a retooling with our bleak offense today,.....that is just crazy. No one can justify that. You'll say Love sat, but he was behind Rogers! Many QBs sat and waited but they has pieces in place, So Stroud is the outlier and at least six Teams think that lightning can strike again.

So if you go into 2024 with an OL of Boles, Strange, Andrews, Sow and Onewenu Or Williams if he walks, and top rookie OT

Two TEs in Henry and sign Schultz and Draft Colorago St. TE Dallin Holker who is the clone of Russ Francis on the field.

WR Juedy, Douglas and Mike Evans (probably not but Josh Reynolds or Calvin Ridley) and the best Drafted WR.

DWToys
Not enough return.

Just a 2nd rounder in addition to the expiring contracts, to move from 3 to 12?

I want at least Denver’s 2025 #1 pick in addition.

Not enough return.

After hearing wolf today I think A QB is coming in the first round
What about drafting Harrison JR, then coming back up for a QB like Mccarhy or Nix.

DWToys
What exactly is your trade with the broncos? 12
, a 2025 2nd rounder and Wilson for 3? lol that’s ridiculous. I would want a second round pick from the broncos just to take Wilson off their hands

After hearing wolf today I think A QB is coming in the first round
What about drafting Harrison JR, then coming back up for a QB like Mccarhy or Nix.
That works Cousin, But understand if we get a QB at picks three when we have so many needs is a sin. Mr. #3 is not playing.The only caveat is if we are buying out the store in FA.
DW Toys

Not enough return.

Thought about that Cousin. Also though about including Mac in the Deal. Thoughts? Perhaps a 2025 1st if Mac is their "bridge QB".
DW Toys

What exactly is your trade with the broncos? 12
, a 2025 2nd rounder and Wilson for 3? lol that’s ridiculous. I would want a second round pick from the broncos just to take Wilson off their hands
That is a fair statement Cousin,
DW Toys

If a team wants to get stupid and trade up a half a dozen spots and give you another first and maybe a couple threes you take it. You need a lot to build around

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back