PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amateur Time at Gillette in 2024

As long as Kraft treats this as ground 0, i see no problem with it.

We are onto 2026 for real results, and im okay with it

Potential is never objective, just sayin
Sure, but you can look at the potential of a team and be objective in your predictions (vs blindly positive/hopeful as a fan).

Also, not to use Houston as an example every time, because I think they're a rare thing: But this past year they had:

First time HC
First time OC
First time QB

They had experience at DC (but let's see how much of the defensive staff the Pats retain, as Mayo can provide overall experience and leadership on that side of the ball)

And obviously they have Caserio, who while experienced was someone people **** on CONSTANTLY here.

It isn't a death sentence, and 2024 is about building for the future, not trying to win the Super Bowl.
To be technical - Caserio also had zero GM experience before going to Houston. So he was, what a 2 year experienced GM in 2023? Pretty green team overall there.

Sure, but you can look at the potential of a team and be objective in your predictions (vs blindly positive/hopeful as a fan).
How can you be objective in your predictions without seeing the player move they will be doing?

You are just overly negative because you have a miserable life and you are upset that Bill is not here so you hope that the Patriots will be worse next year without Bill so you can come here next year and say : « I told you so »

To be technical - Caserio also had zero GM experience before going to Houston. So he was, what a 2 year experienced GM in 2023? Pretty green team overall there.

Yup, if you're going to give Caserio credit for his experience here, you have to do the same for Groh/Wolf. That doesn't mean you have LIKE those guys in the role, but you can't use their lack of a GM title against them.

Sam, are you ever happy? Seriously. No matter what they do, if it isn’t precisely what you want, you come in here crying about it? You’re a bright guy, you have to realize on some level that others aren’t going to mind meld with you and always do exactly what you want them to do. Right?
I am not unhappy in the least! Just stating facts.
Letting go of BB was the right move.
This is a discussion board so lets discuss if we have other ideas for better paths forward

What's there to be happy about as Patriots fan post Brady? It's called being objective/realistic.

Feel free to be as miserable as you want. Anyone delusional enough to believe there wouldn’t be down years after the longest dynasty in NFL history deserves that.

I am not unhappy in the least! Just stating facts.
Letting go of BB was the right move.
This is a discussion board so lets discuss if we have other ideas for better paths forward

You certainly come across like it Sam, and I’m not the only one noticing it. And you didn’t post any ideas or thoughts about anything, just your unhappiness about it.

Feel free to be as miserable as you want. Anyone delusional enough to believe there wouldn’t be down years after the longest dynasty in NFL history deserves that.

Literally nobody said that. If you want to just bask in the glory years that's fine. The point of a message board is to discuss the team as it currently stands. Nobody is forcing you to take part in these conversations.

Literally nobody said that. If you want to just bask in the glory years that's fine. The point of a message board is to discuss the team as it currently stands. Nobody is forcing you to take part in these conversations.

I’m not “ basking in the glory years” at all, I am excited about their future and watching the moves they are making to evaluate how I think they are doing. I don’t give one **** about last season, or the years before it. And, as I said, you are welcome to be as miserable as you want, that’s clearly where your head is at. And I have been talking football here for years and years, and if you don’t like that you are welcome to put me on ignore. It won’t bother me one bit, as I really don’t like miserable people.

Also, not to use Houston as an example every time, because I think they're a rare thing: But this past year they had:

First time HC
First time OC
First time QB

They had experience at DC (but let's see how much of the defensive staff the Pats retain, as Mayo can provide overall experience and leadership on that side of the ball)

And obviously they have Caserio, who while experienced was someone people **** on CONSTANTLY here.

It isn't a death sentence, and 2024 is about building for the future, not trying to win the Super Bowl.
The difference in the Houston example is that Houston had slowly built a competent offensive line and a decent homegrown receiving corps prior to drafting Stroud.

We're building all three units on the fly. I don't see a scenario in which a rookie quarterback is ready to start in 2024. I much rather the team commit to being patient for a year or two, and ride it out with a Brissett type until the offense coalesces around him.

I see it as a two full offseason rebuild. Maybe the kid is ready to come in and play mid-2025 but we should be patient to not throw him to the wolves.

**** that.

New Orleans or bust, baby!

LFG!!!

The difference in the Houston example is that Houston had slowly built a competent offensive line and a decent homegrown receiving corps prior to drafting Stroud.

We're building all three units on the fly. I don't see a scenario in which a rookie quarterback is ready to start in 2024. I much rather the team commit to being patient for a year or two, and ride it out with a Brissett type until the offense coalesces around him.

I see it as a two full offseason rebuild. Maybe the kid is ready to come in and play mid-2025 but we should be patient to not throw him to the wolves.

While true, I would point out that all that talent they collected led them to a worse record in 2022 (3-13-1) than the Patriots had this year. So it's not like Ryans, Stroud, and their OC (who's name is escaping me) were coming into a prime situation.

But I agree, they should be looking ahead, and not looking for the quick fix.

It is certainly a risk, but there are a lot of first time head coaches and coordinators who do really well right off the bat. Granted you have every one new it is far more of a risk. But I would rather have a Nick Caley calling offense than Patricia.

First time head coach
First time DC
First time OC (Caley)
First time GM or co-GM's
Probably a first time QB

we all know how next year will go. Learning on the job for all of them. How could Kraft not insist that at least someone have some experience for the leadership positions on the team?
Apparently Kraft thinks his "gut feeling" will be worth a few wins.
Good news is that if the OC position work out that way, none of our senior coaches will be one and done. May be a way to build some continuity.

Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back