PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All Time Patriots OL

palialka

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Let’s discuss better days for our beloved Pats OL…

Who would be your all time starting Pats OL?

If we’re going top player at each position they played, it would be:

LT - Bruce Armstrong
LG - John Hannah
C - Jon Morris (going with the old timer as we really haven’t had an elite C)
RG - Stephen Neal
RT - Sebastian Vollmer

If we’re going the 5 best regardless of specific position (just G or T), it would be:

LT - Bruce Armstrong
LG - John Hannah
C - Jon Morris
RG - Logan Mankins
RT - Matt Light

For me, the left side of the line was easy to choose as Armstrong and Hannah are easily the best we’ve had at those positions. The right side of the line, C-RG-RT was a little more difficult to decide.

Last edited:
Let’s discuss better days for our beloved Pats OL…

Who would be your all time starting Pats OL?

If we’re going top player at each position they played it would be:

LT - Bruce Armstrong
LG - John Hannah
C - Jon Morris (going with the old timer as we really haven’t had an elite C)
RG - Stephen Neal
RT - Sebastian Vollmer

If we’re going the 5 best regardless of specific position (just G or T), it would be:

LT - Bruce Armstrong
LG - John Hannah
C - Jon Morris
RG - Logan Mankins
RT - Matt Light

For me, the left side of the line was easy to choose as Armstrong and Hannah are easily the best we’ve had at those positions. The right side of the line, C-RG-RT was a little more difficult to decide.
Leon Gray needs to be on your second list.

You could definitely put him ahead of Light at RT. There might be a couple of other old timers that I didn’t consider as my in depth knowledge of the Pats only goes back to the early/mid 80s. I’m not old enough to remember the mid/late 70s and wasn’t around before that.

Leon Gray was an All-Pro. Some Pro Bowlers from back then like Holloway as well. I'm even tempted to put Joe Thuney ahead of Mankins for the Super Bowls alone, but I know Mankins had a much longer career.

Logan Mankins is overrated. I've watched and rewatched so many of our games and Thuney imo is the best guard we have ever had. For a single game with players at their peak would be quite an interesting line I'd slap together.

LT-2018 Trent was amazing and we never got this guy again. Many would pick Light, but for a single game Trent then even Solder gets the nod.
LG-Thuney. I seriously can't remember him getting owned in a single game. It was a mistake to not sign him long term.
C- Andrews. Not an easy choice but his consistent pass protection slightly gives him the edge.
RG- Neal. I was very tempted to choose Brian Waters but stuck with Neal.
RT-Vollmer. Solid

*I'm too young to rate old timers like Armstrong, Hannah etc.

Logan Mankins is overrated. I've watched and rewatched so many of our games and Thuney imo is the best guard we have ever had. For a single game with players at their peak would be quite an interesting line I'd slap together.

LT-2018 Trent was amazing and we never got this guy again. Many would pick Light, but for a single game Trent then even Solder gets the nod.
LG-Thuney. I seriously can't remember him getting owned in a single game. It was a mistake to not sign him long term.
C- Andrews. Not an easy choice but his consistent pass protection slightly gives him the edge.
RG- Neal. I was very tempted to choose Brian Waters but stuck with Neal.
RT-Vollmer. Solid

*I'm too young to rate old timers like Armstrong, Hannah etc.
Unfortunate. Armstrong and Hannah are miles better than any of those players. And it's not just old nostalgia talking, the tape tells the story.

Yep.

If we are basing it on pure talent/Pro Bowls these 5 are it.

T- Gray, Armstrong
G- Hog, Mankins
C- Woody (ProBowl 2002)

Leon Gray & John Hannah... You'd be hard pressed to find a better left side combo in league history, let alone Patriots history. I'd take Gray over Armstrong at LT , kick Armstrong out to right

Center is an issue ... Damien Woody is good, but he could not snap the ball accurately in the shotgun formation... Huge flaw...

He's kinda small by today's standards (255ish), but Jon Morris would be my guy at the center of the line.

Jon Morris was the best center in the history of the AFL not named Jim Otto. There's no apology necessary for putting him on the list and there should be no challenge to him being on the list. No one since comes close.

Edit: mis-typed NFL, meant AFL.

Last edited:
Jon Morris was the best center in the history of the NFL not named Jim Otto. There's no apology necessary for putting him on the list and there should be no challenge to him being on the list. No one since comes close.
Never saw him play so can't argue. I only go by who I saw play. Better than Dwight Stephenson, Mike Webster and Dermonti Dawson?

Never saw him play so can't argue. I only go by who I saw play. Better than Dwight Stephenson, Mike Webster and Dermonti Dawson?
Maybe not. I just noticed I typed NFL when I meant AFL. 2nd best ever in the AFL leaves room for others to be better when the whole NFL is considered.

based on what I have seen, not quite that good... Thats a murderers row of Centers right there
Yep. As much as I despised him as a player, Kevin Mawae should be on that list.

In more recent times Jason Kelce will probably get some HoF consideration.

Leon Gray & John Hannah... You'd be hard pressed to find a better left side combo in league history, let alone Patriots history. I'd take Gray over Armstrong at LT , kick Armstrong out to right

Center is an issue ... Damien Woody is good, but he could not snap the ball accurately in the shotgun formation... Huge flaw...

He's kinda small by today's standards (255ish), but Jon Morris would be my guy at the center of the line.
Jon Morris was 245 lbs. not that it matters all that much, but compare to Jason Kelce @ 295 lbs.

An aside it is difficult comparing football players of different era's as the game, physicality and size has changed dramatically over the years. But Hannah, Gray and Armstrong were three of the all time best.

Jon Morris was 245 lbs. not that it matters all that much, but compare to Jason Kelce @ 295 lbs.

An aside it is difficult comparing football players of different era's as the game, physicality and size has changed dramatically over the years. But Hannah, Gray and Armstrong were three of the all time best.
i said -ish when it came to the weight, lol... but ty for the info... its always helpful to be accurate.

And spot on about the assessment of Hannah, Gray and Armstrong. :thumbsup:

help you out:
Hog Hannah is often considered the best LG in the HISTORY OF THE NFL.

not just the Patriots.

Even as a younger fan (was in elementary school for the start in 2000), one of the few names with which I'm most familiar from yesterdecade is Hannah. One of the only players that there seems to be unanimous agreement that we was the best to ever do it, regardless if fan or not.

Normally when someone is the clear best, there are still strong pockets of people in another player's camp (I mean ****, even Brady - which is stupid, but you get the point). I don't think I've ever seen someone say "Yeah Hannah was great but..."

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back