PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All quiet on Hightower front or Dont'a-do-it FA tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that the situation is this..
BB: our $10M/yr still stands Dont'a
DH: I gotta be worth more than that coach.
BB: Fine, go out and see, we'll match at least 90% of any greater offer you receive. You have 1 week.

DH's week is almost up so his last resort is to go to the jests to get a ~13/yr offer that will hopefully increase his deal back here in NE.

What're you upset about bud. Dude did his contract and made no complaints. (Unlike butler) Made 2 plays that could be argued won us 2 superbowls and HASN'T left yet.

You upset because he's giving it time. Come on

Funny how everyone's tune changes when stuff like this happens with a player they loved 3 days ago

Even if he bails for gang green, I'll always be thankful for his role in bringing two Lombardis home.

And pray he wins more than 6 games a year (na 0...jest can rot in hell)

This doesn't sit right with me. I'm all for players getting paid but it feels like he and the Jets are just friends of convenience. Neither really wants to consumate the deal but both would like to see the Pats pay more than they have to.

IF he signs with the Jets I want to see none of the White Knights on this forum disliking or disagreeing with anyone who says anything negative. He will deserve any such barbs being tossed his way. Near any other team would be palatable, but this would be the most d*ckish move he could have done. Fact that he is even visiting is the dumbest thing he could do. Embrassing quite honestly.
Really? So if the jest are offering him a ridiculous contract he should not take it?

Do the rats even have any cap space to blow on a mlb? They have no viable option at qb, for starters.

Yup. Whole bunch.

The Jets could have 100mil in space. Wouldn't make a difference. There are no good QBs available at any price.

How much did they open by cutting all those guys? I swear i read that they didnt have enough space to sign their draft picks prior to the exodus.

If the jets offer Hightower a ten year front loaded deal, does bb beat it to bring Hightower back?

If the jets offer Hightower a ten year front loaded deal, does bb beat it to bring Hightower back?
Belichick may not do this with a 3 or 4 yr deal, let alone a 10 yr deal.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about Hightower that might be holding him back on the free-agent market: health. He's been having knee/leg problems for a couple years now causing him to miss time. I have no idea how serious this might be, but it's worth noting.

This doesn't sit right with me. I'm all for players getting paid but it feels like he and the Jets are just friends of convenience. Neither really wants to consumate the deal but both would like to see the Pats pay more than they have to.

What about it doesn't sit right with you? This kind of things happens in the rest of the business world as a matter of course. Why would it be distasteful that it is happening in this part of the business world? Because we like to live in denial about what's really going on?

There are no "friends" in any of this. The closest we get to that is the (suspected, rumored) respect the Pats give players like Hightower by agreeing to receive them back after they've scouted out the competitive offers.

BB: Fine, go out and see, we'll match at least 90% of any greater offer you receive. You have 1 week.

DH's week is almost up so his last resort is to go to the jests to get a ~13/yr offer that will hopefully increase his deal back here in NE.

If he gets 13 a year he's gone.

I think Hightower is honestly getting offers worse than the ones he got here in a lot of cases. The more I think about it the more I think we all over sold his market.

He is a 270lb LB. That doesn't fit what a bunch of team do. Also the injuries are a question and it is every year. He plays most of the season but he can't be healthy 16 games and that turns teams off of him. Also having DT puts you into a bit of a bind as having a 3rd true LB on the field is dangerous. You lose a lot of speed and coverage ability with with. So you need a SS who can be your defacto 3rd LB a lot of the time and most teams don't have a guy like that. We do. Also if your SS is your 3rd LB than your 3rd safety is on the field a lot. Who has 3 safeties they can depend on? Not many teams.

Now if you put a coverage LB next to hightower he has to be an excellent coverage LB who is one of those specialized hydrid players but those guys are hard to find. That is why they are talked about so much.

Much of what we do with Hightower works cause we have Harmon and Chung.

How much did they open by cutting all those guys? I swear i read that they didnt have enough space to sign their draft picks prior to the exodus.

It's all discussed in the previous 3 or 4 pages, but in quick summation...

The Jets currently have about 34 million in space. That's including the 6mil of dead cap space to Revis. If Revis plays anywhere, whatever he is paid comes off our cap.

Plus Sheldon Richardson is due to make 8mil and it's doubtful we keep him. Bumps the free space up to 42 million.

Now most importantly factor in that if Hightower becomes a Jet, he'll be replacing Harris. The same Harris who's currently on the books for 6.5 million and can be cut with no cap hit whatsoever.

So if Hightower signs for 10mil, in all actuality, it'll cost the Jets 3.5mil.

It's really a no brainer for the Jets to do it so long as they don't overpay too much.

Hurt the Pats, and get like 6 or 7 years younger at ILB with a great veteran, while the other 3 projected young LBs have a leader of the squad to learn from.

Harris fills the role fine now. Love the guy, but he is 33. This could be the best opportunity to grab a solid replacement in the foreseeable future.

It's all discussed in the previous 3 or 4 pages, but in quick summation...

The Jets currently have about 34 million in space. That's including the 6mil of dead cap space to Revis. If Revis plays anywhere, whatever he is paid comes off our cap.

Plus Sheldon Richardson is due to make 8mil and it's doubtful we keep him. Bumps the free space up to 42 million.

Now most importantly factor in that if Hightower becomes a Jet, he'll be replacing Harris. The same Harris who's currently on the books for 6.5 million and can be cut with no cap hit whatsoever.

So if Hightower signs for 10mil, in all actuality, it'll cost the Jets 3.5mil.

It's really a no brainer for the Jets to do it so long as they don't overpay too much.

Hurt the Pats, and get like 6 or 7 years younger at ILB with a great veteran, while the other 3 projected young LBs have a leader of the squad to learn from.

Harris fills the role fine now. Love the guy, but he is 33. This could be the best opportunity to grab a solid replacement in the foreseeable future.
I can't hate this post enough respect you hate the idea of Hightower wearing that jersey It won't be as bad as when Ty Law wore it but its still sucks.

I can't hate this post enough respect you hate the idea of Hightower wearing that jersey It won't be as bad as when Ty Law wore it but its still sucks.

It's all business. Think I liked seeing Revis in NE? Or how Snacks seriously improved the Giants D? Or I'll like seeing Mangold in any other uniform? Hells no.

Heck, even though Marshall was only here two years, it really sucks seeing him in blue now.

Hey, be happy you have a once in a lifetime guy like Brady, who is an all time great, yet takes less money to help the team. Appreciate it, because it really is rare and gives the team a huge advantage.

Last edited:
Well before the media started spewing out BS, I thought HT would get a little less than what Jamie Collins got. Everyone said prior to the trade of Collins that he was the most gifted LB we had.

Is HT's quickness/covering the issue as to why he isn't getting 13m a year?

Whats his strengths and weaknesses?

Teams seem to want 240 lb LB's that are quicker. Makes sense.

If the Jets want to overpay for Hightower, let them and go get Zach Brown.

Completely different players. If HT is gone there won't be a single player that "replaces" him but the job will be done by multiple players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore