PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All quiet on Hightower front or Dont'a-do-it FA tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ya just changed the criteria. A quality starter to me is someone who's a legit NFL starter. Better than average is like top 16 (or 32 based on position in question).

Regardless, first off remove all (non star) youngin's, since that's the whole point of playing them. To find out if they're good enough and to develop them.

That kills a lot of the team because we're now really damn young. 3 of the LBs and 2 CBs on defense. Much of the oline and receivers on O. While I do think some of them would start on many other teams, they're certainly not above average yet.

3-4 DEs: 3 of them at least above average.
NT: Mclendon above average, Simon legit starter.
3-4 ILB: Harris is still above average as a 3-4 bruiser.
SS/FS: Legit starters in Pryor (still young but old enough to count) and Gilchrist.
Slot CB: Skrine is above average at slot corner.

QB: Nope.
TE: Lol.
WR: Decker and Quincy are both at least above average #2s. The youngin's are solid 3s and obviously still developing.
RBs: Tough to judge RBs. Are Forte n Powell legit workhorse 3 down RBs? Nope. But how many teams use that anymore. In the roles they play, yes, Powell is above average, and Forte is probably average.
Oline: Too young to judge yet in many cases. The guards are probably at least average though.

Now what did the Jets drop that hurt that breakdown? Revis? No. Mangold? A bit, but again, not worth the cost given his age and us rebuilding. Marshall? Yes that hurts losing a #1. But we wanted to extend him and he rightfully didn't want to be part of rebuilding. Can't blame him.

The Jets roster is in rough shape but I will say I'm a fan of their weapons. Enunwa beating Butler in the regular season was impressive. I like his upside. Decker is a great WR & Anderson had a productive rookie year. Powell is a legit RB too.

If you guys do have the patience to tank for one of the top QBs in the 2018 draft I could see a turnaround. Next year is suppose to be the best QB class since 2012.

Ok Hightower. A decision would be nice.

"He's gone, screw him!!!!!!"

"What's he waiting for? Cripes, it's been almost a week!!!!!!!!!"

Seriously, I'm glad most of the posters on this thread aren't in the front office, but I'd sure like to negotiate my next contract against them.

Relax. Let Hightower enjoy the biggest payday of his life, weighing risk vs. reward (guarantee vs. APY). If he comes back, great. If not, there's a plan B.

The next signing the guy makes will blow away anything else he signs in his life, unless he hits Powerball. He should savor every minute of this.

Well ya just changed the criteria. A quality starter to me is someone who's a legit NFL starter. Better than average is like top 16 (or 32 based on position in question).

Regardless, first off remove all (non star) youngin's, since that's the whole point of playing them. To find out if they're good enough and to develop them.

That kills a lot of the team because we're now really damn young. 3 of the LBs and 2 CBs on defense. Much of the oline and receivers on O. While I do think some of them would start on many other teams, they're certainly not above average yet.

3-4 DEs: 3 of them at least above average.
NT: Mclendon above average, Simon legit starter.
3-4 ILB: Harris is still above average as a 3-4 bruiser.
SS/FS: Legit starters in Pryor (still young but old enough to count) and Gilchrist.
Slot CB: Skrine is above average at slot corner.

QB: Nope.
TE: Lol.
WR: Decker and Quincy are both at least above average #2s. The youngin's are solid 3s and obviously still developing.
RBs: Tough to judge RBs. Are Forte n Powell legit workhorse 3 down RBs? Nope. But how many teams use that anymore. In the roles they play, yes, Powell is above average, and Forte is probably average.
Oline: Too young to judge yet in many cases. The guards are probably at least average though.

Now what did the Jets drop that hurt that breakdown? Revis? No. Mangold? A bit, but again, not worth the cost given his age and us rebuilding. Marshall? Yes that hurts losing a #1. But we wanted to extend him and he rightfully didn't want to be part of rebuilding. Can't blame him.

I say this in the most respectful of ways, but I think you're overrating some guys. Granted, I gauge players by what their fan forums say about them, but TheGangGreen seems to think, for instance, that Pryor isn't even an NFL caliber player.

Hey! The Titans aren't ****ty.

I know that jetfan was kidding, but I do agree that the Titans look like a good young up and coming team. I could see them becoming a power in the AFC after Brady retires in 2024

I have no problem with that but the options aren't much out there. He already saw his market pretty much. It seem's like he's looking for a prayer and that might have come in the form of the stinking jests!

And I'm sure he wasn't too happy to see the Patriots throw 65 million at Gilmore while not budging on their offer to him. I also think people are forgetting that by being openly loyal to the Patriots Hightower has undercut his free agency because teams feel they are just being used to set his price before the Patriots sign him . I'm hoping the Patriots get Hightower to re-sign but at this point I think they need to come up to him a bit and get it done, that was ultimately how they got McCourty back at the last minute.

And I'm sure he wasn't too happy to see the Patriots throw 65 million at Gilmore while not budging on their offer to him. I also think people are forgetting that by being openly loyal to the Patriots Hightower has undercut his free agency because teams feel they are just being used to set his price before the Patriots sign him . I'm hoping the Patriots get Hightower to re-sign but at this point I think they need to come up to him a bit and get it done, that was ultimately how they got McCourty back at the last minute.
Maybe Belichick needs to be extra sensitive

When do the Patriots lose patience, sign Brown, and step away. They stepped
away from Revis when they realized the Jets would pay anything to sign him.
The Jets ended up bidding against themselves.
Not soon because brown is not half the player Hightower is.

I know that jetfan was kidding, but I do agree that the Titans look like a good young up and coming team. I could see them becoming a power in the AFC after Brady retires in 2024

Well yeah I was kidding a bit, but I do like the Titans to be very competitive this year.

I say this in the most respectful of ways, but I think you're overrating some guys. Granted, I gauge players by what their fan forums say about them, but TheGangGreen seems to think, for instance, that Pryor isn't even an NFL caliber player.

Very possible. I try not to have green glasses on, but sometimes it's hard not to be biased towards your team.

Oh and pay no mind to the fan boards. Most thought re-signing Fitz last year was smart. Smh, idiots.

No one and I mean no one will be come a power because teams such as the Titans, as good players age and young ones come up due for contracts, it evens out. That's how the league is set up.

That's what makes the Pats so impressive. They seem immune to the parity bug, and yes TB has a lot do with it but not all.

Different position. Corners make alot of money. Maybe hightower underestimated his market value. He thought alot of teams would throw big money at him. I consider kuechly one of the best linebackers in the game when healthy and he is not making a huge amount of money.

"He's gone, screw him!!!!!!"
How many posters are super conflicted right now? They really want Hightower back, but they also have their fallback sour grapes in place in case he goes somewhere else.

If Hightower comes back: "Hell yeah! We are so stacked! He was a vital part of two SB wins!"
If Hightower signs with the Jets/Titans/Dolphins: "Who cares, they overpaid anyway. We have a great system in place, we will hardly miss him!"

Very possible. I try not to have green glasses on, but sometimes it's hard not to be biased towards your team.

Oh and pay no mind to the fan boards. Most thought re-signing Fitz last year was smart. Smh, idiots.

Yeah, they really did want Fitz back...damn, I don't know who to trust anymore.

Different position. Corners make alot of money. Maybe hightower underestimated his market value. He thought alot of teams would throw big money at him. I consider kuechly one of the best linebackers in the game when healthy and he is not making a huge amount of money.

Keuchly is well paid, if the Patriots offer Hightower that it will get done. And while corners make more it still has to smart when you were integral to Super Bowl wins the past three seasons. The Patriots can wrap this up any time they just have to budge a little.

So what is our plan B if we lose Hightower?

But if the $$ is similar why go there and be basically irrelevant for the rest of your career? They had to cut the fat George Foreman style just to stay under the cap. This would make no sense on both ends, but the Jets never make sense.

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL this Pats run looks like it's gonna continue for 3-5 years but things change quick, Brady is 40 years old and one hit could end it all and there's no guarantees Garoppolo is good.

That's why you would take the money, nobody thought Atlanta would be in the Super Bowl and have a 25 point lead this year.

Other teams can win too.

Would you rather have 2 rings and $40m GTD or 3 rings and $25m GTD, i think if you're a LB rings aren't a career definer like a QB.

If the money is close he will sign in NE, if the Jets offer much more GTD money then that's why he'd sign with them.

I'm shocked someone like Tennessee or Indianapolis isn't in on Hightower.

Last edited:
And I'm sure he wasn't too happy to see the Patriots throw 65 million at Gilmore while not budging on their offer to him

Maybe but Pats gave him an offer that was his market value, he disagreed and thought he was worth/wanted more and now it seems like the Pats were pretty much on the mark.

But if he's butt hurt about Gilmore then his agent needs to explain to him how nfl contracts go. CBs get paid. I mean Tennessee just told him Logan Ryan was worth more than him. Gave him a $10m per year deal, they reportedly wouldn't do $10m per for Hightower.

The Jets roster is in rough shape but I will say I'm a fan of their weapons. Enunwa beating Butler in the regular season was impressive. I like his upside. Decker is a great WR & Anderson had a productive rookie year. Powell is a legit RB too.

If you guys do have the patience to tank for one of the top QBs in the 2018 draft I could see a turnaround. Next year is suppose to be the best QB class since 2012.

Ok Hightower. A decision would be nice.
I like Enunwa quite a bit. He plays his role extremely well. He sort of reminds me a bit of Pierre Garcon, but he doesn't drop easy catches and makes difficult ones.

Has to be Brown.

Ugh. Even if we resign Hightower I would like to add another lb through the draft. If we don't resign him lb becomes our biggest need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents