PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All of our mid-season pick ups turned out good

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Tim Wright, Jonathan Casillas, Akeem Ayers, Alan Branch, LaGarette Blount….

They all turned out pretty good. Every single one of those guys were contributors to the SuperBowl run.

Akeem Ayers in particular was on fire. 4 sacks and 1 INT in only 4 games started. I don't even want to think about who else would've played DE when Chandler Jones got injured. I really hope they bring him back next year, as he plays Special Teams as well, provides great depth (not much drop off when he came in), and can be used in different packages rushing the passer on 3rd down. Will also give Jones and Ninkovich some time to rest, as they play more snaps than most DE's in the league.

Tim Wright had 6 TDs. Technically not a "mid-season" pick up but I still put him on the list because he missed all of training camp and pre-season with us.

Blount was Blount. Destroyed the Colts once again. He helped set the tone in the SuperBowl and eat up a lot of clock in the first quarter. He had a couple good runs. We owned the Time of possession and kept the ball away from the Seahawks, tiring out their defense. Blount was a big part of that.

This is in contrast with previous seasons where our pick ups mid-season are total busts. Remember last year with Issac Sopoaga, Andre Carter, Austin Collie.

2012 had Bobby Carpenter, Greg Salas, Dante Stallworth, and they even brought back Deion Branch.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is rare that a team hits on so many mid season, low (on paper) skilled players.

BB the GM get some grief, but much of it is unfair. Player evaluation is difficult. And it involved many variables. He hits quite often. And should get more credit.

If Casillas, Ayers and/or Branch leave after this year they're eligible for FA comp picks too, so we could get more back for them in the 2016 draft than the little we gave up in this draft. Only Ayers has a reasonable chance at a solid contract and playing time to get much back but a team could definitely go after him. Of course, Wright and Blount are very likely to be back.

They were all big assets for us at different points in the season. Watching them produce gave me the feeling that our luck was finally turning around.

Wright will be back guaranteed

Given just how great the pickups were, perhaps Belichick will try very hard to add these players to the 2015 team. Blount and Wright are automatics. But the other three could help our depth in 2015.

Tim Wright, Jonathan Casillas, Akeem Ayers, Alan Branch, LaGarette Blount….

They all turned out pretty good. Every single one of those guys were contributors to the SuperBowl run.

Akeem Ayers in particular was on fire. 4 sacks and 1 INT in only 4 games started. I don't even want to think about who else would've played DE when Chandler Jones got injured. I really hope they bring him back next year, as he plays Special Teams as well, provides great depth (not much drop off when he came in), and can be used in different packages rushing the passer on 3rd down. Will also give Jones and Ninkovich some time to rest, as they play more snaps than most DE's in the league.

Tim Wright had 6 TDs. Technically not a "mid-season" pick up but I still put him on the list because he missed all of training camp and pre-season with us.

Blount was Blount. Destroyed the Colts once again. He helped set the tone in the SuperBowl and eat up a lot of clock in the first quarter. He had a couple good runs. We owned the Time of possession and kept the ball away from the Seahawks, tiring out their defense. Blount was a big part of that.

This is in contrast with previous seasons where our pick ups mid-season are total busts. Remember last year with Issac Sopoaga, Andre Carter, Austin Collie.

2012 had Bobby Carpenter, Greg Salas, Dante Stallworth, and they even brought back Deion Branch.

If Casillas, Ayers and/or Branch leave after this year they're eligible for FA comp picks too, so we could get more back for them in the 2016 draft than the little we gave up in this draft. Only Ayers has a reasonable chance at a solid contract and playing time to get much back but a team could definitely go after him. Of course, Wright and Blount are very likely to be back.

Both of them are signed for 2015 already.

Don't forget about Ayers, he's the one who stopped Lynch and made sure he didn't go over the 1yd line.

Of course Revis. He is the missing piece. He made the Secondary play better around him.

Don't forget about Ayers, he's the one who stopped Lynch and made sure he didn't go over the 1yd line.

Of course Revis. He is the missing piece. He made the Secondary play better around him.
Did you even read the op?

And Revis wasnt a mid season pick up. He was with the team for OTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk