PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Akers is out for the season, perfect trade destination for Michel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just re-watching the Chiefs AFCCG and it was startling how dominant that Pats o-line was. Michel, White, and Burkhead were getting to the second level before needing to make a cut. From the start of the gsme, they steamrolled that defense. Those were some incredible formations with Gronk, Allen, and/or Develin along with monster run blocking from Brown and Thuney.
Assisted by the best OL and RB ACs in the League.

Again I was proposing Harry and Michel and a mid round pick could bring in a talent like Kupp.

Let's take a look at the draft value chart (which is not a concrete thing, but a good starting point for reference).

Let's assume that Michel on his own could net you the first pick in the 4th round, which I think is the most you'd get for a decent RB in the last year of his rookie deal. That's worth 112 points.

Now assume that Harry on his own gets you the first pick in the 6th round, which might be generous at this point, but again, for a start. That's worth 25.4 points.

Now throw in your mid-round pick, let's say a 3rd rounder, which for the Pats let's say is around 20th this year. That's 170 points.

So total, 307.4 points. That's the same as trading a late 2nd rounder for Kupp. For a guy catching 90 balls a year, who still has years left on his deal, is only 28 (I think), and would leave a dead cap dent on his departure.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is all based on BEST CASE value for the players above. Very possible the Rams don't value them that highly.

Last edited:
Again I was proposing Harry and Michel and a mid round pick could bring in a talent like Kupp.
No one wants to acquire Harry for value right now. If the Rams trade Kupp they’ve just moved their hole from RB to WR. Jefferson and the aging DeSean Jackson are a step down from Kupp.

It would be like the Rams asking for Harris and offering a 4 and Jefferson.

No one wants to acquire Harry for value right now. If the Rams trade Kupp they’ve just moved their hole from RB to WR. Jefferson and the aging DeSean Jackson are a step down from Kupp.

It would be like the Rams asking for Harris and offering a 4 and Jefferson.
What about Robert woods?

What about Robert woods?
I forgot about him. He would be an upgrade in NE and he would be a good fit. Why would the Rams, who are going got it now, trade him for Sony Michel? Phil Perry has Michel going for a 5th, which may are a little light but isn't far off the mark.

Sony can pass protect. Stevenson likely has a lot to learn. I doubt we see Stevenson at all this year.

Michel and Harris will likely split time
Thank you, NUN, for reminding everyone AGAIN. that a RB's responsibility includes more than just running the ball and catching it. A RB's time on the field will directly stem from his ability to pass block AND be in the right position to do so..

And for those who missed it the first time. for the Pats offense to be successful it will need a strong Run Game to off set Cam's weaknesses and/or Jones' youth.

In order for the Pats to HAVE a strong run game it NEEDS to have have at a minimum 2 healthy RB's to take most of the run snaps PER GAME

2 healthy 3rd down backs to be available as starter and back up PER GAME

and a healthy FB

Now 5 RB's per game is usually a lot for an NFL game day roster, but it might not be for the Pats this season. We shal see. We might not end up running the bal 50% of the time, but I believe that's Bill Goal. And as the season unfolds the times we get close tp tjat gpal the more games wi will win

So, the Browns have Chubb and Hunt.

Youre the Rams and Chubb wants out of Cleveland. You would not spend a 1st round pick for him? I would every day of the week.

I wouldn't trade a first for Chubb, there aren't many backs that have come and gone that I would trade a 1st rounder for other than maybe Christian McCaffrey, but even he's starting to get up there in years/mileage, and injuries have started to pile up

So, the Browns have Chubb and Hunt.

Youre the Rams and Chubb wants out of Cleveland. You would not spend a 1st round pick for him? I would every day of the week.

What first round pick would that be? The Rams don’t have one in 2022 or 2023.

I wouldn't trade a first for Chubb, there aren't many backs that have come and gone that I would trade a 1st rounder for other than maybe Christian McCaffrey, but even he's starting to get up there in years/mileage, and injuries have started to pile up
This highlights the short shelf life of running backs. McCaffrey is 25.

Already been said, but wait until the end of camp before trading anyone. People quickly forget that three seasons ago they were had to use a WR Cordarrelle Patterson at RB. Stevenson's a rookie, he may end up with a redshirt Foxboro flu season and others may not escape training camp healthy.

What first round pick would that be? The Rams don’t have one in 2022 or 2023.
It was a hypothetical question.

Chubb is clearly worth a 1st and Sony is not. Same draft year and same years in the NFL. Sony will be nothing more than a running back by committee member.

Anyone remember that time Todd Gurley played his way into being called the best RB in the NFL by the end of his rookie contract, the Rams paid him a fortune then he immediately broke down?

RB’s aren’t meant to be paid or treated like long term investments… they don’t last and all are replaceable. Draft one, use them while they’re cheap, draft the next one. Sony has value to NE, the guy averaged 5.7 yards per attempt and makes a nice counter punch to Harris. He’s good, he’s cheap… unless there’s a logjam at the position by the end of camp hold onto him.

Anyone remember that time Todd Gurley played his way into being called the best RB in the NFL by the end of his rookie contract, the Rams paid him a fortune then he immediately broke down?

RB’s aren’t meant to be paid or treated like long term investments… they don’t last and all are replaceable. Draft one, use them while they’re cheap, draft the next one. Sony has value to NE, the guy averaged 5.7 yards per attempt and makes a nice counter punch to Harris. He’s good, he’s cheap… unless there’s a logjam at the position by the end of camp hold onto him.
By year four Todd Gurley was the best back in the NFL. Sony isn't even the best back on his own team. I wouldn't pay either of them but to compare their situations in laughable.

By year four Todd Gurley was the best back in the NFL. Sony isn't even the best back on his own team. I wouldn't pay either of them but to compare their situations in laughable.
Sony has more rings and led the NFL postseason in every stat they have, Gurley is all but out of the league … but yeah.

Sony has more rings and led the NFL postseason in every stat they have, Gurley is all but out of the league … but yeah.
So one ring, and 3 good post season games makes Sony a better RB? Your takes are so bad I just don't even know what to say.

I liked how Sony ran after he returned from injury last season. Seemed to be running with more urgency, more physicality. Was breaking tackles and looked to have a better burst than early in the year. Unless they get an offer that they can’t refuse, I would strongly favor keeping him on the roster. A 70/30 Harris/Sony split on rushing downs seems about right to me.

So one ring, and 3 good post season games makes Sony a better RB? Your takes are so bad I just don't even know what to say.
I should go with the “everything is bad” and “everyone sucks” model so I can fit in.
Sad Rain GIF by WE tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes