PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Akers is out for the season, perfect trade destination for Michel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody did, somebody used Gurley as a cautionary tale as to why you don’t throw a ton of resources at the RB position. Some people can’t have a nuanced conversation.
Still don't get it. Who's talking about sinking Gurley type money into any of our RBs?

At a certain point you just need to forget the first round pick and just assess the guy as he is now. and the guy we have now is useful. Which is the only consideration that should be made.
Living in the past (especially regarding drafting where 20/20 is the most important number) is a God-given right here at PatsFans.

You're assessment is spot-on. The historical precedent is that they will evaluate Michel based on his TC as well as past production, what they think he brings for this last signed season versus whatever they are offered (if anything) for him and what they think he might re-sign for.

Given his numbers he is even a candidate to be back at a decent value as a FA "part of a stable-type" back as well should some other team not over pay. Of many complex personnel issues, Michel is actually a "good" situation for the Pats. He's cheap, provides depth, easily predictive as to his production, and is already integrated. Whether he was the "best RB" in his respective draft means nothing in the now. There is no going back - and the Patriots don't allow such recriminations anyway - they plan for the future and act in the present. If he performs he helps and might even stay, if he doesn't - he's gone.

It's just easier though - woulda coulda shoulda now that more information and data is available - to rip on the Patriots.

Living in the past (especially regarding drafting where 20/20 is the most important number) is a God-given right here at PatsFans.

You're assessment is spot-on. The historical precedent is that they will evaluate Michel based on his TC as well as past production, what they think he brings for this last signed season versus whatever they are offered (if anything) for him and what they think he might re-sign for.

Given his numbers he is even a candidate to be back at a decent value as a FA "part of a stable-type" back as well should some other team not over pay. Of many complex personnel issues, Michel is actually a "good" situation for the Pats. He's cheap, provides depth, easily predictive as to his production, and is already integrated. Whether he was the "best RB" in his respective draft means nothing in the now. There is no going back - and the Patriots don't allow such recriminations anyway - they plan for the future and act in the present. If he performs he helps and might even stay, if he doesn't - he's gone.

It's just easier though - woulda coulda shoulda now that more information and data is available - to rip on the Patriots.
Frankly I think Michel is better as a part-of-a-stable type back anyway. He's not a power back. He's a finesse type runner who excels at exploring gaps opened by the line, but doesn't have the forward running strength to open his own. Dudes like that can be productive, but they need stability at the line to get it done and in the last couple years that's been an issue.

We just upgraded the OL and H U G E L Y upgraded at the blocking TE role. I think that's going to help Michel in particular

(Personally I think Michell's rookie season was in large measure Develin's fault combined with Gronk and Allen, fortunately Johnsson seems to be up to the task of being a good blocking FB so we'll see if that can continue with Johnsson, Judon and Smith)

Why the hell are we comparing a guy who went in the top 10 to a guy who was drafted at the bottom of the first round?

The correct response to someone claiming Gurley is better than Michel, is somewhere between "do you usually get off on stating the obvious?" and "what the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Gurley is a 1-10 guy. Michel is a 1-31 guy. The two do not compare directly in any way, shape, or form.

We didn't draft Michel to be Gurley. We didn't draft Michel instead of bringing in Gurley. They didn't go in the same year. Nothing we could have traded that pick for directly, or Michel for directly, would have netted us Gurley.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to compare Michel specifically to specifically Gurley. It is an utter non-sequitur.
What are you yelling at me for? I didn’t bring up Gurley.

Championships?

Nursery rhymes are for children, makes sense.
Yes the New England Sony’s got us ring number 6.

Aren’t you the same guy who kept diminishing what Brady did here claiming it was all the team? Now a dime a dozen RB is the one who brought us championships?

Yes the New England Sony’s got us ring number 6.

Aren’t you the same guy who kept diminishing what Brady did here claiming it was all the team? Now a dime a dozen RB is the one who brought us championships?
Saying Tom was an important part (starter) on a Super Bowl winning team = “diminishing Brady.” But saying Sony played well under similar circumstances (starter) is outlandish.

When Sony and the O-Line are healthy he’s played like one of the better RB’s in the league. Health has been his only concern, and every RB no matter how good needs good blocking. Learn the game, stop being a cheerleader.
Sassy Mood GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
I narrowly agree with Wozzy. There were factors other than Michel himself for why he struggled a bit last year. Not least of which is the absolute chaos we've had at the TE position since Gronk and Allen said their farewells. With better edge blocking from Judon and Smith and Jakob Johnson having a good chance to come into his own this year at FB, I think we've got a good chance to see our RB group, Michel included, having a great year this year.

I narrowly agree with Wozzy. There were factors other than Michel himself for why he struggled a bit last year. Not least of which is the absolute chaos we've had at the TE position since Gronk and Allen said their farewells. With better edge blocking from Judon and Smith and Jakob Johnson having a good chance to come into his own this year at FB, I think we've got a good chance to see our RB group, Michel included, having a great year this year.

Sony ran for 5.7 yards per attempt in 2020. Sony "struggled a bit"? You are expecting 6.5 or 7.5 YPA in 2021?

Sony ran for 5.7 yards per attempt in 2020. Sony "struggled a bit"? You are expecting 6.5 or 7.5 YPA in 2021?

I think he meant in 2019. And I think what's unfair to Sony is when people say he's only good when he has elite level blocking (which is true of a lot of RB), they point to 2019 as the proof of how "bad" he is without it... but that blocking situation was not just sub-elite, it was downright ATROCIOUS. Starting LT and C out, starting RG and RT playing hurt, and two veterans who were brought in to be depth retiring in training camp. Plus no blocking standouts at TE and no FB (remember that was the year that Develin got hurt, then Johnson got hurt, and they were down to using Elandon Roberts on goal line situations).

I'm not a die hard Sony guy, but there aren't many running backs in the league that wouldn't look bad under those conditions.

I know you meant Henry and not Judon.

Saying Tom was an important part (starter) on a Super Bowl winning team = “diminishing Brady.” But saying Sony played well under similar circumstances (starter) is outlandish.

When Sony and the O-Line are healthy he’s played like one of the better RB’s in the league. Health has been his only concern, and every RB no matter how good needs good blocking. Learn the game, stop being a cheerleader.
Sassy Mood GIF by NETFLIX
Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

I would've told the Lams to Feck Off until AFTER our last pre-seaon game, and only if ALL of our horses are safely in the barn and NONE of them are at the vet...

I think this thread can be closed with a simple post of "Yup". :)

good call OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft